Fuel filter bowl for Toyota 2007 VDJ79 V8

Submitted: Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 00:23
ThreadID: 98424 Views:2940 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Has anyone else had any trouble with the cracking of the plastic water detector at the bottom of the filter bowl? Apart from the split on the tap part & there is also one on the other side, there is also one in line with the external diameter. Fortunately I discovered it at home when I lifted the bonnet and smelt the diesel! Very lucky that I got home from a 2000km round trip to Tjukayirla! Didn't buy vehicle new. Wonder if battery acid would've done it, as it is situated ween the two batteries? But battery caps always tight since we've had it - 3 years & 40,000ks.
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:09

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:09
Hi Mark, this is not a common problem, but my Brother had this problem on his and he found it was caused by someone over tightening it after service. I hope this helps.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496283

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:20

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:20
Mark,

Happen to be baby-sitting, or maybe that should be "ute-sitting", an 07 ute at the moment. Just had a look at it, and wonder, with the 2nd battery in place, whether it mightn't get extra hot, being not far above the turbo?

Have always been suspicious of these "white plastic" fittings, and their longevity. We always kept a spare for the filters used on the earlier models, because if it broke, you'd be pretty much stranded. Or at least need some "knead-It" or "Minute mend".

Dunno about the acid factor? Might have some bearing on it? Good to see you got home before it broke!!!

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496287

Follow Up By: Member - Markthemilko - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 22:40

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 22:40
Hi Bob,
apologies for not responding to you earlier. My filter is fitted to the bonnet 'wall', well away from the engine & next to the rear right corner of the starter battery. The plastic tap is close to the wall and not near the motor on my model. And it can't be re-positioned due to the distances between the 3 bowl screws ie it can only be fitted in the one position.

Thanks again for your interest, much appreciated.

regards
Mark
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772080

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:52

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:52
there has been a bitof discussion and several incidences reported on LCOOLl forum and battery acid from 2nd battery instals seems to be the culprit.
does your vehicle have a non sealed type of battery ?
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496328

Reply By: Member - Markthemilko - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 23:16

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 23:16
thanks for the comments.
I've done the bleeding obvious and dumped some acid on the bowl and also the plastic. It stained the steel similar to the other side, but the acid just ran off the plastic. Certainly over-tightening the tap could explain the splits, (but jeez you'd have to use pliers!) but not the curved cracks at the other end of the 'pipe'. The 'dirty' parts on the plastic are rough and appear to have been pickled. There is no evidence of any acid spillage on the mudguard below. Both batteries are very well sealed and I've never seen the tops wet (with acid). Puzzling!
By the way, does anyone know why the unit is screwed together with allan key bolts as opposed to normal hex styel bolts?
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496335

Sponsored Links