Repairing canvas

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:22
ThreadID: 98444 Views:4826 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Recently I opened the camper but not paying attention and part of the canvas hooked up and tore a seam for about 150mm. Does anyone know how I can hand sew it back together. I mean where would I get heavy duty needles, heavy thread, and some canvas to use as a patch. Also any techniques on repairing - like particular thread loops or how to place a patch etc.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: derraux - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:30

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:30
Get yourself a speedy stitcher. http://www.speedystitcher.com/ any good camping store should have one. if you cannot get any canvas use the bag your pegs came in it is normally similar material and then replace it with a new bag.
Derek
AnswerID: 496349

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:37

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:37
How clever is that !!!!!! using the peg bag for a patch.
Great stuff, and a good one to remember.

Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772051

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:38

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:38
Serendipity,

Bad luck! As the seam is torn, I'd be inclined to take it to a canvas place and have them replace that lower section, or at least sew on an extra layer, and also reinforce the edge, on the left, where it joins the upper part. Obviously a bit weak there, and it would be likely to happen again.

If you did want to do it yourself, then get onto Whitworths(08 9385 5877), or another chandlery. They will have all sail patching gear you would need for a repair. Some 50mm seat belt strap would be the go for adding some strength to the left hand side.

If I were stitching it up. I'd use 2 needles, working from each side, and keep stitches at similar pitch to that on the original. Copper rivets are good for pressure points, but they really need some extra "washers" so they don't pull through the canvas easily.

Don't know how clear I've made all this??? LOL

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496350

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 12:28

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 12:28
hi
unless you are a polished needle user you will find that repair job will take considerable time and patience and if not done properly will fail down the track i personely have attempted one of those repair types and eventually had to have it professionely redone
attemping a repair out on the track or stuck in the bush is one thing
but if you are home
i know what i would do i have used one of those stitch awls and yes they work but its slow and the stiches are never tight like a machine leaves them this will allow moisture to get in
thats my 2 bobs worth
its your throw of the dice good luck !
cheers
AnswerID: 496353

Reply By: brianc - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 16:10

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 16:10
If you are in Perth, GK Trimmers in Canning Vale were pretty good with reasonable pricing when I had my camper trailer canvas worked on.
AnswerID: 496361

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 17:30

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 17:30
If it has torn just along the seam it is easy. No need for patching - just take along to your local upholsterer and he will have an industrial machine to sew that back along the seam. Less than a 5 minute job. Regarding stitching, upholsterers use strong thread and no need for double stitching apart from at the start and finish where you just back-tack as a matter of course. If you happen to be passing nr Gosford, NSW, I'll do it for you in a few mins.
AnswerID: 496366

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 17:44

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 17:44
....aaah, sorry mate - a bit quick off the mark there. Didn't realise it was still attached to the trailer. One of those gadgets mentioned above might do the trick if you fancy your chances - as long as it is strong enough you can get some waterproofing stuff to paint on, over the stitching, otherwise it might need to be taken off the trailer in order to get it on a machine. When you say "torn" is the fabric torn or has it just come undone along the seam? Either way, it might need staples??? unpicking and the whole thing taking off to re-sew on a machine. Depends how much "unattaching" has to be done.
FollowupID: 772060

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 18:13

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 18:13
Thanks for all the replies. They are a great help.

I have ordered the Speedy Stitcher - I can see that tool helping in lots of other situations as well. $35 delivered.

I have been to the local canvas place but they are booked for the next 3 weeks. As the canvas has torn on a stress point I think I will get them to sew it up and reinforce that corner. Normally it would not be a problem there but the canvas had hooked up on something so that is the reason it tore.

Thanks for all the replies.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 496370

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 00:07

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 00:07
Get yourself a good piece of canvas and cut a patch that will have about 50mm overlap on both sides.Stick this patch on with Sellys contact cement and let dry for at least 24hours.You may be pleasantly surprised how strong this is with no stitching.Even better put a patch both sides if it is accessable.
AnswerID: 496379

Reply By: mfewster - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 08:08

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 08:08
I agree with The Rambler except I would use the stuff you buy in tubes to make a new sole for your tennis shoes. I think it is called Shoe Goo. Dries very strong and flexible. I have used it succesfully to repair canvas (with a patch) before. But your repair would have more tension on it than places I have used Shoe Goo, so I'm not certain. It is so much cheaper and quicker however that I think I'd have a go with goo before trying stitching.
AnswerID: 496383

Sponsored Links