Recovery Straps

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:43
ThreadID: 98457 Views:4988 Replies:11 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
My Isuzu Dmax weighs 3000kg empty, what size recovery strap do I need, 8 or 9 or 10,000 kg and what size shackels?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wadams - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:18

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:18
Hi David,
In my humble opinion, the bigger the better. I have been in and seen situations when all sizes have been broken. Depends on the difficulty etc of the recovery. I would suggest that more importantly you ensure you have got PROPER recovery points installed on the vehicle. I have seen people use the transport tie down hooks (or loops) that come with the vehicle with disastrous results. A good rated hook from one of the 4wd accessories shops is a very very good investment. It is also possible to purchase a hayman reese fitting with attached hook to use on your towbar.
Get out and get dirty and I am sure you will have a great time.
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496387

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:44

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:44
hi david

x2 couldnt agree more with what waddams has said and the bolts that are used to retain those hooks also need to top grade steel
cheers
FollowupID: 772093

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:06

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:06
I am not sure I agree with this logic - I have a 10,000kg snatch strap and when I snatch smaller vehicles it is like snatching with a wire rope because of the strength of the strap there is very little give with smaller pulls. I would go for a smaller strap - say 8000kg where the strap will get a bit of stretch into it and soften the snatch.

Garry
FollowupID: 772100

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 20:30

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 20:30
I carry both a 8000lb and 12000lb. The straps are designed to stretch this force is used to extract the stuck vehicle and minimise the impact on the load points. By using a heavy strap it will not stretch and will put massive pressure on the load points.

Craig
FollowupID: 772120

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:56

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:56
David,

Your vehicle weighs just under 2000kg empty and 3000kg full loaded.

A rated 8000kg strap would be OK if used correctly.

3.75t shackle is the smallest rated shackle that should be used and the most common larger rated shackle is 4.75t. Either size would be OK if used correctly.

Wayne
AnswerID: 496388

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 15:41

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 15:41
If you break a snatch strap, you'll do some minor damage; if you break a recovery point it can kill you.

So I disagree that "bigger is better".

My suggestion is 8000kg strap (and no bigger), if you must use a shackle then no bigger than 3.2T and while you're at it buy an equaliser strap and learn how to use it to make snatch recovery safer.
AnswerID: 496392

Follow Up By: Member - wadams - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:41

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:41
Hi Phil,
I still stick to my "bigger is better" statement. Try pulling a six ton truck loaded with a bobcat wedged on the end of the ferry over Cooper Creek with a 8000kg strap and see how you get on. I thought I was even going to break the 10000kg strap. Or try pulling a troopie stuck to its sidesteps on peat moss in Tassie. Of course experience in these matters counts and a lot of common dog as well. Experience matters and common sense prevails. As you probably know there are many ways to snatch a vehicle out of a given situation and full bore is not the only answer. I would suggest that David join a reputable 4WD club (aren't they all) that actually go to places that use this equipment on a regular basis and learn from other experienced operators.
And yes, if a recovery point breaks it can kill you that is why i stressed that David buy the correct recovery point gear. I have never seen a reputable recovery point break if the extraction is done in the correct manner. I have, however, witnessed the hoffific and sad occassion when a snatch strap was incorrectly connected to the cross frame of an alloy bullbar and a child was killed.
As with anything to do with four wheel driving, SAFETY should be paramount and I urge all drivers who may happen to have occasion to use snatch straps, winches etc to LEARN from reputable educators. Don't just LEARN but go out and use this gear and practice the techniques taught so that you are confident in using your own equipment.
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772101

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:46

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:46
Phil,
Here is a recovery hook failure. Bloody Caterpillar.

RA
FollowupID: 772103

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:47

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:47
Well that didn't work.
FollowupID: 772104

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:43

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:43
I answered the poster's question and gave him the answer he asked for. As you and I both know, there's a lot more to vehicle recovery.

As a 4wd trainer and assessor, I've unfortunately seen many situations where people who are new to 4wding have been told "bigger is better" and they have been sold an 12,000kg snatch strap, which is plenty strong enough to rip their single "rated recovery point" along with the 4.7T oversize shackle right out of their Hilux/Prado/Navara/ chassis.

The weakest link in a vehicle recovery needs to be the strap.
FollowupID: 772110

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:53

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:53
RA, thanks for trying
FollowupID: 772111

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:58

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:58
Phil,
it is a shame I can't post the photo from a power point presentation.

The hook is huge and it snapped clean in half during a recovery. They did get the machine out in the end using 2 different recovery points and a lot of horsepower.

Hope I don't get one flying at me even though people say I do have a thick head. LOL.

RA.

FollowupID: 772112

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 18:07

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 18:07
Phil,
At least here is a photo of what snapped. It snapped clean off in the vertical plane near where it attaches to the machine.

Ex Ra. now retired.
Whoopie!!!!! no more rocks, caplamp tans or the smell of underground.

FollowupID: 772113

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:47

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:47
Rockape

What is a "caplamp tan"?????? I know what a Cap Lantern is, but not a cap lamp tan.
FollowupID: 772117

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 20:51

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 20:51
Ross,
just a joke as the only sun you see is your caplamp and that gives you your tan.Ha Ha.

Ra.
FollowupID: 772121

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 22:01

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 22:01
Agree with Phil. 8 tonne strap for recovering a 3 tonne Dmax. The over-riding considerations are the strength of the recovery points & the chassis they're connected to. Using a 12 tonne strap would be a-kin to suspending an Isuzu FSR 500 truck momentarily from the recovery point.
6 tonne trucks & Bobcats generally have far stronger tow points so a bigger strap could be acceptable even though in your example a slow winch recovery may well have been a safer option.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 772124

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:58

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:58
First of a recovery strap is different to a snatch strap, a recovery strap is rated to be able to lift/pull a specified weight.... a snatch strap is much the same but relies on the rubber band theory of generating energy.

A vehicle weighing 2000kg bogged in sand may only need a force equal to 1400Kg's and vehicle stuck in mud may need 1700Kg.

All you are trying to do if generate enough force to break rolling resistance enabling the vehicle to start moving.

Lifting is different to pulling..... how can one person weighing 100Kg move a vehicle weighing 2000Kg but that same 100Kg person struggles to lift 60Kg????

As for vehicle recovery/tiedown points..... on most vehicles you would not exceed the calculated load of the factory recovery point, end of story!

Do the engineering based calculations on a factory Nissan or Toyota and you will get a shock..... no manufacturer will ever say you can use them for recovery due to liability if something did go wrong.
AnswerID: 496396

Reply By: Honky - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:03

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:03
Isnt 3000 kg empty already 50kgs overweight?

Honky
AnswerID: 496397

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:32

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:32
I wouldn't be using any more than the 8t strap. You'll get better elasticity and an easier recovery from a correctly rated strap. If you break an 8t strap on a bogged 3t vehicle, you're doing it wrong and most probably shouldn't be trying for a kinetic recovery in the first place - ala bobcats and trucks - that's what the winch on the front is for.
Straps are RLL (recovery load limit) rated, which an arbitrary figure close to the nominated breaking strain of the strap. Shackles are WLL (working load limit) rated and must have a safety factor of 5. Generally manufacturers will go to a safety factor of 6 or even 7 to be sure. Hence you won't see the mixture of recovery ratings (snatch straps etc which aren't covered by any standard) matching up with the properly rated rigging gear (shackles, tirfors etc which are). Either the 3 or 4t shackles mentioned before are up to the task. Just make sure they are the WLL rated lifting shackles.
Caveats that they don't always teach you on a recovery course:
1. Shackles should never be dynamically loaded (any snatch recovery). We've all done it.
2. Shackles should always pull perfectly straight on the pin, never offset or 'pin bound'. Those dicky recovery hitches with the shackles are o.k. only in one plane and a very small offset on the bow shackle gape. Any more than that and you are risking failure. The high end hitches are being cross drilled to allow you to orientate the hitch for the recovery, but must of them still don't.
3. Straps should never be wet, sandy or dirty (haha I always get bogged in the carpark at coles)

There's more (strap angles and softening turns etc) but unless rigging is your game it just gets confusing.

AnswerID: 496398

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:42

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:42
David,

2 to 3 time the weight of you vehicle is the answer. Do not go for the biggest as suggested, it will not stretch and can cause damage, that is unless you have a 4.5 tonne vehicle.

Further details can be found in the nationally recognised training manuals.

and by manufactures such as Just straps Snatch Strap guidelines

This is a good "force required" chart for recovery.

AnswerID: 496404

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:55

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:55
2 versions with the same result.

Close to 4 tonnes

3 tones
FollowupID: 772119

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 21:41

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 21:41
Hi David D1,

This may be a little T.I.C.

............... how stuck are you going to get?

................ and how many other vehicles are going to be with you when you get stuck??

Do a 4WD Course and ask the instructor for qualified information :-)

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 496416

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 00:23

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 00:23
Whatever happened to the humble tow rope? I've extracted many vehicles from difficult situations with a tow rope/strap but never needed a 'snatch strap'. How much more effective are snatch straps than tow ropes/straps? Forget about the marginal differences of harnessing kinetic energy etc.
How many times can you use a snatch strap before the 'elasticity' is buggered?
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 496429

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 07:03

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 07:03
They really are a great piece of kit and are much kinder on the vehicles than a rope/chain/strop. Being a gradual takeup they also allow the tow vehicle to maintain momentum better whilst gradually applying just enough pressure to 'pop' the other vehicle out.
How long do they last? How long is a piece of string. I've seen brand new 10t straps destroyed in seconds by people who don't know what they're doing. I've got a 20 y.o. strap that's still perfectly good. Depends on the use and care of the strap - much like any other part of your kit.
FollowupID: 772127

Reply By: David D1 - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 01:57

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 01:57
Thanks one and all for your replies. The Dmax is only two weeks old and the first 4X4 I have owned. It is not the first 4X4 that I have driven, in my employment I use one daily and mostly in high 4. I'ts just in my job extreme is not an option. From your replies I have decided on two things, 1st is to ensure that i have proper recovery points and 2nd is to find a trainer or club in the Rockhampton area. I have no desire to emulate the feats of the "extreme ones" as seen in the magazines, I just want to explore oz in a safe and enjoyable manner. So once again thanks for your replies and advice. Cheers Dave.
AnswerID: 496430

Reply By: Travis22 - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 18:39

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 18:39
I completely agree with the posters who are saying, go with the 8000kg strap.

99% of the time when these straps 'fail' it isnt actually the strap failing its the point at which they are attached to vehicles.

If you look at the destructive testing comparisons which have been done over the years rated equipment like these straps - both static 'winch extension' straps and dynamic 'snatch straps' alike have quite a bit of head room in their 'ratings'.

ie. ARB Snatch strap 8000km - breaking point 10200kg. (all brands are different, so worth researching before buying)

ie. ARB Winch extension strap 4500kg - breaking point 7070kg.

Rated Shackles have a LOT more 'head room' over their ratings.

ie. 4700kg rated shackle - breaking point 33,900kg.

Bottom line, what im trying to say is you are a lot more likely to break the point at which the strap is attached then the straps themselves or the shackle, so if you simply use a larger strap you are even more likely to break this attachment point. The most common one would be, "one strap isnt enough, ok lets use 2 and give it everything!" that is just asking for trouble, big trouble.

Its extremely important you keep your equipment inc. straps in top condition. Dirt, water, abrasion will all have at times significant effects on the strength of the strap.

Pay extremely close attention to what attachment points you are connecting the strap to the vehicle, and Never ever put the eye of a strap over a towball.

99% of the time if people stopped for 5minutes and assessed the situation properly and put a couple minutes in with a shovel first there would be no need to push even an 8000kg snatch strap anywhere near its breaking point recovering a 4wd vehicle.

AnswerID: 496484

Sponsored Links