rv polish

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:34
ThreadID: 98464 Views:1786 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
can anyone recomend a fiberglass polish for my jayco heritage van. it has some stains & marks that need to be removed. it's also gone a bit chalky on the front & rear. would appreciate any tips.cheers flanno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:51

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 19:51
Hi Flanno,
I also have a Jayco with similar problems. Mainly the front,
I have used an automotive cutter polish with very good results.
I have used a staight cutting compound with good results also.

We sought advice from our Jayco dealer and he advised we buy, from them of course, Premium RV Wax Sealant.
It is basically a red label on a black bottle if you wish to look for it.

It is made by Camco RV and is made in America and it is a straight polish.
You can use a cutting compound first up but ensure it is not a course one.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496405

Reply By: flanno - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 07:42

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 07:42
thanks Bruce have tried a cutting compound on a small area but didn't get the desired results eg;stain removal. maybe I need a courser compound. Thanks for replying. Cheers flanno
AnswerID: 496436

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:12

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:12
Gel coat is quite porous, so to remove the stains you are better to use an acid wash, you can buy this from marine dealers along with good quality fibreglass polish/sealer.
It will need a cutting compound to used prior to polishing as it has already been allowed to become 'chalky'.
In the marine trade we use aluminium cleaner as the acid wash.

FollowupID: 772139

Reply By: Lee G1 - Friday, Oct 26, 2012 at 06:02

Friday, Oct 26, 2012 at 06:02
The trouble with gel coat is it is very porus as Skaker said. The main problem is it need to be kept polished from day one to keep it protected and once it gets to the point of being chalky its stuffed and will need to be painted if you want to get a good finish back. You can try regular polishing with a quality 3m marine polish which will help but will degrade quickly as the gel coat continues to oxidize and try not to use anything with a contrasting colour to your van as this will stain as it penetrates the gel coat surface.
AnswerID: 497413

Sponsored Links