LC70 76 series landcruiser... Who's done a lot of Ks?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 08:37
ThreadID: 98478 Views:5933 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello again! I've heard more stories about my new beast to be... One of our contractor's mates has had a 70 series throw a rod at 140 thou. Now as a mechanic I can safely say this is something you don't want to happen to your engine, especially after a 70 thousand buck purchase price.... Now I don't know what year, but please tell me someone's done a few hundred thousand ks in theres! I'm wondering if maybe his was an older one with that oil problem and he ran it a bit low (hoping is more the word)....

Mat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:00

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:00
Hi Mat,
My nephew works for a Toyota dealership in a northern state and he informs me that they are still having issues with some Landcruisers.

However, he also said that Toyota Japan have said that any major issues with a motor, swap it out with a new one and send the damaged unit gack to Japan for testing. They are beind their product 100%. Balance that against some of the grenades stories out there and it should make you sleep easy.

Nephew said that they have been advised to tell their customers to just bring their vehicles in for service at the appointed intervals. He said he has seen many a dip stick without oil showing on it. Not to worry as provided you have adheered to the Toyota servicing regieme they are behind you 100%.

Not all units are showing problems but you can rest assured that Toyota will eventually get to the bottom of it.

As a bloke in exactly the same position as you, about to take delivery of his new LC76, said to me in 07 when I asked him whether or not he was worried, he said "Nope, it's a Toyota and it is under warranty".

Nuff said.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496440

Follow Up By: mat_gon_jinn - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:08

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:08
G'day Bruce, I have no doubt they'll be behind it, but it's a 6 year 100000k warranty.... 140 is over 100 ya know.... So will they still stand behind it? I'd be surprised but I wouldn't know...
FollowupID: 772133

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:45

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:45
The warranty is 3 years/100,000kms.

If your purchase the extended warranty you get an extra 3 years and 100,000 or 150,000kms (your choice).

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 772135

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:35

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:35
I hear what you are saying Mat and Gone Bush but its a Toyota and that counts for something. As to their honouring any engine problems after warranty runs out I cannot say. It would depend on many things I suppose.

Mat, the trouble is that it is probably too late to back out now anyway so stay positive.
I was merely trying to put you at ease. But what I have said above is as was told to me by the relevant parties.

I would say provided that Toyota Australia is providing the extended warranty it would be OK
but
those third party warranties are not worth the paper they are written according to a news report I saw some months ago and other reports even on these pages.

Good luck Mat.
Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772142

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:33

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:33
hi bruce
i personely believe that the cause of these vehicles developing hi oil usage and toyota aren't alone is because they dont have any load on them when they are running the motors in causing them to glaze the cylinders and once that happens its the pre-curser to high oil consumption
years ago engines were hardly powerfull enough to propell the vehicle along the rd with your family in it and that in itself would put enough load on the motor to wear it in
but these days they have such high engine power that just driving around empty or with a couple of passengers is whats causing the glazing of the cylinders resulting in oil usage problems just down the track
imho anyone who buys one of these high output engined vehicles whether it be petrol or diesel needs to put a load on /or behind it from
from day one and just drive it steady for the first 2-3 thousand k'
this will insure that the motor wears in and the longivity of the engine will be rewarded
when ever we bought a new truck in our farming days we would buy it before harvest so the engine wore in unload we did on one occassion buy a new truck in the off season which didnt really get run in with much load and it glazed up and started using oil after only 35-40thsn k's
we finished up pulling it down and honing the cylinders and fitting a new set of rings then running it in with loads at harvest time and had no more oil problems which was proof in itself
there are so many owners out there now buying these big engined 4x4 now that dont have any mechanical knowledge and just use them for lite duty short trips and shopping taking kids to school etc
or just go on a trip with no load and in my opinion that has a lot to do with the problem
i expect my opinion to be contradicted as thats par for the course on here but then that's a healthy discussion
cheers
barry
FollowupID: 772145

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 13:03

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 13:03
Sounds like you could be on to something there Mazcan.
Certainly seems logical.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772147

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 13:32

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 13:32
Barry,
I know where you are coming from but we had some that would use oil and others that don't and that is still happening to this day.

All the vehicles are driven the same and are loaded. They do around 6 klms climbing on a 1 in 6 incline at least 6 times minimum in 24 hours. So they get a good workout.

RA.

FollowupID: 772148

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 18:41

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 18:41
As an old...OK very old diesel mech I think mazcan is on to something. No not his beverage of choice...lol
There were instances of the Commodore utes with the 6lt (I think) engines burning oil from new. From memory I think they found that the engineers had specced rings with too light a wall tension for light loads. They may have been trying to keep internal frictional losses down. Better fuel consumption and less emissions?????
Anyway the story went that they put rings with higher wall tension in and no more dramas. I wonder if this issue may be part of the problem and not driving it like you just stole it being the other??

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 772173

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 23:23

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 23:23
You mean the LS1/LS2 piston slap issues from 10+ years ago? The main issue with them was poor quality control in the US engine plants where they were made and just a *slight* problem of some cylinder boring machines being incapable of consistently making a round hole!
FollowupID: 772285

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:42

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:42
Mat,

There's a few of this model running around here but one bloke in particular, a contractor, bought one of the early models('06 or '07?)

He is now on his 2nd ute, as the old one has >500K clicks on it. He doesn't have a great deal of "mechanical sympathy" and he had, at times, quite a few problems with it. However, most of these were due to neglect or wear and tear. Pinion bearings, worn rear brake discs were the main dramas.......oh, and he fell asleep, and hit a gidgea tree once too lol.

But over all those clicks, he had no problems with the engine, and he did hammer it. No way would it have ever glazed up!!!

Not much choice these days in a "big" 4wd ute, eh?

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496451

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:43

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:43
Mat,
I don't believe it is a common problem and the only one that came close to this was in a very low K cruiser. It did not throw a rod but it sounded like a big end. That vehicle was trucked back to Toyota and came back with a new engine. The old engine was sent to Toyota for examination.

Where I worked many of the cruisers had pretty high engine hours on them. Around 8000 hours and if you tried to guess the klm's and you said the vehicle averaged 40 kph for it's life that would be 320000 K.

Problem is no one knows what has happened to the vehicle during it's life. Low oil level should show as a warning but the use of chips these days opens up a huge can of worms.

RA.
AnswerID: 496452

Reply By: mat_gon_jinn - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 22:02

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 22:02
Cheers all for the replies, much appreciated and I'm not so worried anymore, plus it's only money we can always make more right LOL... And funny you should say that mazcan because my philosophy is to break it in the way it's gonna be driven. I'm gonna have it out on the track in it's first week with me (not saying it will be flogged) but it's gonna get a work out, cause that's what I'm buying it for... And people tell me all the time about how engines should be broken in first up, and ask me the best way to do it and how long for, and I tell them well it's my opinion that it's really not that important. The amount the components that are going to be 'bedded' in with each other is so miniscule that it's just not worth worrying about. And if you think about it by babying the engine, you're wearing it in a certain way; then you say well it's worn in now I can go thrash it in the bush or start towing my three and a half ton van - then you're wearing it in a whole different way over the top of your initial wearing in period. That's the way I see it anyway, plus when I build a 10 litre bus engine and chuck it back out with the drivers, what do they do? Flat stick everywhere!
Call me ignorant but it's an engine, not a plastic toy... Or a racing engine.....
And honestly I find it really hard to believe it would throw a rod, what reason has it got? Driver error? It's a 4.5l putting out 150kw, that sounds realistic to me. The turbo's putting in not much boost at all by the sounds, and it feels like most of the power comes without the turbo... Compared to say the new pathfinders with the 3l putting out 170kw... Now if that was to throw a rod I could understand, but ya know? I dunno I don't want to think about this stuff, I just wanted to pick it up no hassle, drive it for the next 20 years without any worries and minimal hassle and effort (if I wanted to be paranoid of breaking down I would've bought a Landrover).... Lol there's always something. Gotta keep us on our toes I guess.
AnswerID: 496506

Sponsored Links