New GPS

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:10
ThreadID: 9849 Views:1798 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
New Magellan Sportrak Color GPS just arrived in post :-) Cost $299 USD last week when AUD at 78c :-) Post $30 USD
No customs charges :-)
Seriously though thats $421 Oz. v local price of $1265. I can't imagine how it can be so expensive locally.Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:18
You got a good deal there Bob. It does make you wonder how they can jusyify those local prices. Are there many hassels converting to presumably the southern hemisphere or what ever?Dare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 43489

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 13:08

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 13:08
No problem initializing the unit. The only minor inconvenience is that it doesn't come with the Australian base map loaded. I am guessing that this is obtainable and can be loaded into the unit. But as I use DiscoverAus regions anyway, the basemap is not essential.
The clarity and resolution of the display is remarkably better than the Map330.Bob
FollowupID: 305777

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 16:29

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 16:29
Bob, When you find out if it can be loaded me know please.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 305793

Follow Up By: dogart - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 23:59

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 23:59
Bob

how did it work with the exchange rate.
Does it let you know after you go through the online checkout
what the amount is in AUD?
Or do you have to wait until you see your statement?
Will the rate be the same if you use an online local currency converter
to give you the amount?
will give me some peace of mind to know what rate they will use.

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 305838

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:24

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:24
Wolf,
I don't know what the exact exchange rate they give you is, but I think its within a cent or two of the exchange rate on the news. It applies when your credit card is billed. So if you use Paypal you know straight away what the US dollar debit will be and the AUD amount is calculated immediately. I wouldn't sweat the exchange rate issue - the most you might lose is ten bucks.Bob
FollowupID: 305894

Reply By: StevenL - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:04

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:04
I got a Meridian Colour from a guy in WA using EBay. Looks like he imports them from the states and then sells on EBay. If you do an EBay Australia search for "Meridian" there are usually heaps of them on offer.

List price for this item is about $1,200 in the shops. I got mine for $900 with a 128Mb card thown in (worth $100) and it was loaded with the full Australian Basemap and in the original (American) packaging. Given that he made a profit (I sure he wasn't doing it just for fun!) I probably could have got an even better price by buying direct from the states. Shows how much the local product is marked up.

I may be taking a risk re warranty but it is a pretty trouble free type of product. It's working fine so far!

Steven L
AnswerID: 43494

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:44

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:44
G'day Steve,

This is not related to your post really (I buy and sell stuff on Ebay all the time), but an interesting read. Just got posted on smh's website ... Online auctions that turn out to be too good to be true

~
FollowupID: 305771

Follow Up By: StevenL - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:18
Wazza,

Good article that. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought the GPS as it was my first time on EBay. I did take precautions though by examining the sellers previous deals in feedback section. There were several sales of similar product with good feedback over a several months period.

Also it was a good deal but not a ridiculous deal, meaning it was probably legit. I paid the seller by direct deposit to bank account. If the deal went bad then that should give the cops something to go on.

You just have to weigh the risks against the reward.

StevenL
FollowupID: 305775

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 16:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 16:18
If you decide that you'd like the Australian basemap, go to Magellan Users Site where you should find a base map and the instruction on how to load it. You may have to join the site, but that is no hassle.

Good shopping!! I also watch eBay, and got a pair of suspension seats recently for $70 ea. Just in the process of getting them done up now. Love eBay.... and ExplorOz as well : )

JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 43527

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 17:15

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 17:15
Jack,
There was a bit of a discussion on that site even today. Maqellan sell the Australian basemap for $299 (they must be joking). Apparently the Aus basemaps were available for download but Mag have cracked down on that.
Can you imagine paying $299 for a 9 Mb map file ($90 for the whole of Australia in 1:250,000)? Can you imagine paying $275 for Hema Great Desert Tracks ($70 for the standard version)? Can you imagine paying $1265 for a Sportrak color when you can get it for a third of that from Ebay? I reckon they must be mad - or get so many government/corporate buyers who don't worry about the price.
The ridiculous thing is that if they sold their gear for fair prices the volume would more than offset the reduced profit margin.Bob
FollowupID: 305797

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 17:24

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 17:24
Hi Bob:

Got to agree with you there .... but I am sure someone like LG (Life'sGood) must have a design in the wings. They will release it well below what Magellan and Garmin are selling theirs for .. and whammo .... all the prices will drop.
I have a basic Magellan 310 which I got off eBay for $120 a while back, coupled to my laptop (and software) which gives me everything I need. I think Magellan wanted $90 for the cable .. I got it for $AUD30 from the US, including postage.
So ... all we can do is wait ... it will happen. They are not that sophisticacted a piece of equipment.

Have fun.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 305798

Reply By: dogart - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 23:51

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 23:51
I am just considering going down this road of purchasing
a fishfinder and data cable from the USA for about $200 cheaper
than what you can get them for over here.

The only trouble with all these purchases over the net via the states is
the warranty is return to country purchased!

I've made the enquiries to Customs and worked out that I wont be
paying any duty or gst if its $500AUD total (item(s)+postage)
Despite having lots of people telling me that you'll pay extra when it comes
in etc etc.

I also want to get ay handheld GPS to connect to the f/finder via power/data cable.

Bob,
Is your old gps the map330, if so do you want to sell it?

In particular I have been looking at the Magellan map330.
NMEA out put for the sounder, map capable, floats!
And going pretty cheap on ebay too.

any reviews for the Magellan map330 gps good/bad?

cheers
wolf

AnswerID: 43607

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:27
Wolf,
it would be cheaper for you to buy one on ebay from the US. The Map330 is a classic. Possibly the 315 or even 310 would do the job but the 330 is WAAS enabled (it'll be here soon if not already). Do a search on ebay for Map 330 (and your fish finder)Bob
FollowupID: 305895

Follow Up By: dogart - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:42

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:42
Bob thanks for that.

Yeah the Map330 seems like a beauty.
Escecially if you can get Aust Base map loaded.
I have seen them on ebay and they usually go for
$250 & thats new.
I want to be careful about the total amount so I can't go
over $499.99AUD otherwise you pay duty & gst.
Then if that's the case I'd rather pay a bit more and buy local
to get local warranty.
WAAS - not sure about that! Where have you got that info from.
I've read that there are no base stations in Oz and they don't plan
on setting up in future. Advised to turn off WAAS if you can, so
I have read.
The beauty is if I connect gps to finder that is gps ready,
all the data goes on the 320x320 finder screen plus giving you
speed in knots etc (which would cost $100 alone to install on the boat)

Models are being superseded at the moment in gps's & finder's
so I am in no hurry, just watching the prices on the net at the mo.

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 305901

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:19

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:19
Hey Bob, thats a great price...would you be able to send me details of who you brought from in the US. Am interested in getting one of those. Did you buy over ebay or website etc?
Thanks,
Will.
AnswerID: 43614

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:29

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:29
From Ebay. The mob are called Twin Suns. I also just bought the world wide basemaps from them for $75US (which is better than the $299 being asked locally).Bob
FollowupID: 305896

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:37
Thanks Bob, I cant find them at the moment but I'll keep looking. What is the story with these Basemaps? I understand that the US gps ship with a US basemap. What is a basemap? Does that mean that it wont show any australian map detail on the screen at all or just not in any detail? And can you then simply buy an australian basemap and upload it?
Cheers,
Will
AnswerID: 43741

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:30

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:30
Will,
Twin Suns are at http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=83262193&ssPageName=L2
or you could do an Ebay search for mapsend worldwide basemap.
The US version comes with a US basemap loaded. This gives major roads, coaslines, state lines etc. The OZ version is preloaded with the OZ basemap, again with the same details. However, you can buy the whole world basemap in Australia for $299, or from Twinsuns for $75US. You can toggle between the preloaded basemap and the whole world basemap (or parts of it). Or you can get Magellan to change the preloaded basemap. I think they hit you for $299 to do this. I'll lend you the whole world basemap when it arrives so you can see for yourself.Bob
FollowupID: 306012

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:48

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:48
Bob you're a champ. Thanks for all that. I visited the store and have requested some prices as they dont have many gps's listed on ebay at the moment. I'll get back to you after I have ordered one!
Cheers again!
Will.
AnswerID: 43783

Sponsored Links