Comment: Tips for Buying a Reversing Camera

Submitted: Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:56
ThreadID: 98503 Views:5046 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have an SVS camera fitted to our new van but no camera fitted to our car. Would we need only to buy a monitor & hard wire this to the van's camera plug? We don't really need a camera on the car itself.
Also, your article mentions wireless monitors. What is the downside apart from video interference? ( we don't have any of these extras in our vehicle).
Would appreciate any comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 14:34

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 14:34
Hi Tom,
I have fitted a monitor and a reverse camera to the last three cars I have owned and to both of the last 2 caravans. That gives me some experience to speak of.

The last unit I fitted to our 100 series Landcruiser.
The monitor is similar to the one in the link which follows this parragraph but the camera shown in that link is different to the one used on the caravan in that the one I got for the caravan had 18 infra red LEDs. Otherwise they look the same.

The second link shows the camera used on the car by drilling a hole in the bumper bar and inserting the camera that way.
Reverse Monitor and Camera.

Reverse camera for the bumper bar.

I experimented with the wireless variety but found they were useless on the caravan and not much better on the car so I discarded it and went for the hard wired variety.

From the caravan to the car I have usedt one of those Wozza Wozza cables from Bashes Imports, purchased via ebay, and while it was not cheap it does the job very well. On the previous van I used good quality TV ariel cable and "F" connector to go from van to the car.

It also helps to be able to do the wiring yourself as that will save you heaps and you will understand the setup better if you do it yourself, if you are capable.

There is no need to spend heaps of money on a unit and installation unless you want to go that way, for whatever reason.

Do a search on ebay for 'reverse camera' and it will bring up many pages of the things.

Good luck.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496563

Follow Up By: tom o - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 16:06

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 16:06
Many thanks Bruce. Will give it a go.
Regards, Tomo
FollowupID: 772265

Reply By: steamfire01 - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 07:44

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 07:44
Hi Tom o
Unless you are an absolute genius reversing to hitch up, I would strongly recommend putting a camera on you vehicle as well, you're running the wiring anyway, and a number plate camera is a snack to fit.
I have bought my gear on line from Safety Dave in Victoria (easy to find on the web). All his stuff (for car and van) is reasonably priced and for me is still working fine and his service was quick and easy.

Happy travelling

TJ
AnswerID: 496599

Reply By: Garry&Yin - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 15:24

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 15:24
I had the manufacturer fit a Waeco camera to the rear of my Trakmaster van and hard wired up during construction which meant the installation was easy and didn't look like an after thought, plus there were no potential water leak problems later on.
My Land Rover Discovery has 2 round 7 pin plugs as standard near the towbar and I used one of these to connect the camera loom to the vehicle. People look confused when I plug in 2 plugs to the car when hooking up the van but it is neat, tidy and works well in both dusty or wet conditions.
I also had a second smaller (reversing) camera installed in the tailgate of the car which assists when hooking on to the tow ball and is wired to the loom that runs back to the Discovery Sat Nav. The Sat Nav control unit sits under the passenger seat and has a switch fitted that automatically detects the car camera when in reverse gear and the caravan camera when it is plugged in, this then sends a signal to the in dash Sat Nav LCD screen which gives a perfect colour picture when switched to Accessory mode and a great view of what is going on behind the van while travelling. I can toggle between Sat Nav and Camera if I need to use the Navigation function.
Day time the camera gives good depth of field although vehicles may appear very small until they get closer, say 100 metres. The camera adjust well to varying light conditions but night time is not as good as cars that are right behind you with lights on tend to dazzle the camera optics but you still have a good view of what is happening behind you.
I still consider it the best thing I ever did, I love knowing what is going on behind me, especially in heavy traffic on city roads and I have no messy wires running every where in side the vehicle or screens bolted on to the vehicle dash. Just plug in and go.
AnswerID: 496611

Follow Up By: Member - Denis B (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 21:06

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 21:06
Hi Garry and Yin
I'm curious as to how you connected your caravan camera to your Disco. I presume that you used the LH (white plug) near the towbar, but everything that I've seen indicates that that plug provides power (potentially) for the caravan fridge and reversing lights etc.
So while I can see it could be used to provide power for the caravan camera, I am wondering how it would be used to get the camera images back into your Sat Nav.
Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here, but I'm just starting to research a reversing camera setup for my Disco 3. I don't have the Sat Nav so would be looking at an aftermarket monitor, but getting the video from the back of the car to the dashboard looks complicated!!
Any information would be a hlep and much appreciated.
Cheers
Denis
FollowupID: 772601

Follow Up By: Garry&Yin - Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 14:53

Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 14:53
The Car camera installation and the wiring for both the car and the caravan camera was done by an Audio/Visual company who are next door to ULR Land Rover in Melbourne. I asked if they could use the white plug next to the Tow Bar for the caravan camera connection, they then ran the wires back to the sat nav unit under the seat. They also provided a 10 metre loom for Trakmaster to run through the van during the build, when finished I had one loom running to the car from the van which split into two plugs, one for the camera and the other for everything else on the van including the hot wire for the fridge.
The white plug does nothing other than run power to and connect the Van camera to the car.
Not sure how they ran the wiring from the white plug and the car camera but it comes out under the seat where it goes into the switch that controls which camera is selected and that plugs into the AV inlet on the rear of the sat nav unit under the seat.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Garry
FollowupID: 772649

Follow Up By: Member - Denis B (WA) - Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 21:48

Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 21:48
Thanks Garry.
I guess they ran the camera cable the hard way inside the trims etc.
I have found an illustrated article which shows how to pull all this stuff apart to run the cables...but true to form, I was hoping for an easy option.
Thanks again for your response.
Denis
FollowupID: 772678

Reply By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:08

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:08
tom o
I would also recommend Safety Dave from Melbourne as I am a happy customer of his I even sent him an email and he got back to me and we discussed what was needed then it arrived in one day also second the Wosser cable as mentioned above
No affiliation with Safety Dave just a happy customer
Terry
AnswerID: 496637

Follow Up By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:12

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:12
tom o
Follow up check the photos in my profile you will see I mounted a steel pole at rear of van and bolted camera to it saved cutting holes for camera in new van
Terry
FollowupID: 772347

Sponsored Links