Gas hob on my Cub Brumby is weak. Any ideas on upgrading?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:00
ThreadID: 98504 Views:5182 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I picked up my Cub Brumby Camper Trailer the other week and am very happy with it. Being my first CT I wasn't sure what to expect, but it really shows great workmanship and tows extremely well.

One small issue though, is that I find the grill on the pull out kitchen takes about 12-15mins to boil a kettle of water. For a man who likes as much tea as I do .. that's painstakingly slow

I'm trying to work out if it's the guage on the gas piping, or whether it's the gas ring.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and any ideas on how to upgrade to a hotter burning ring?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:41

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:41
I found the hobs on my Camper were also weak, and would even blow out if you spoke harshly to them (which I did quite a lot ... ). A plumber friend cleaned out the jets and even filed/drilled them slightly larger. They work well now, thereby avoiding all that harsh talk.

The drills can be bought from most hardware stores or gas outlets (no pun intended).

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496552

Follow Up By: mijango - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:16

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:16
Thanks Jack - that could well do it.

Re the drill bit I'll need, is it just a standard HSS bit, or something a bit special? And am I literally drilling to open up the little outlets where the gas comes out (I imagine it should be clear when I take it all apart). I was thinking I may just need to change the gas ring itself..

Time to go have a deeper looks at things this weekend me thinks ;-)
FollowupID: 772241

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 17:43

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 17:43
Hold off on the drill! The file that he used was almost like a primus pricker and was driven between thumb and forefinger. If you ask a plumber, or let them know at the hardware store what you need to do they should be able to steer you in the right direction. If you get stuck I can get a photo of the stuff I have now in case I need to do it again.

Just let me know.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 772269

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 17:56

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 17:56
I think you will find that it was a finger drill, from a jet drill kit.

FollowupID: 772270

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:53

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:53
hi mijango
does the pull-out kitchen gas setup have a wind gard all around it as from my experience any gas burner sitting exposed to wind or lite breeze will take for ever to boil
if there is inadicate protection from the elements try making a higher wind break out of a sheet of thin aluminuim
as i am not directly familar with the cub slide out
my suggestion maybe of no use
have you been to the cub c/trlr sales departmt to see if there is a solution avaluble or a bigger burner but that will use more gas
/where as if as suggested a shield is used you may well find the standard burner is ok cheers
AnswerID: 496553

Follow Up By: mijango - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:20

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:20
Hi mazcan - I'll def give Cub a call to see if there's an easy fix. My old grill that bolted straight onto a gas bottle used to heat things up quicker than my hob at home. This thing though is a joke and those 2 big gas bottles I'm trailing around would last for years at that rate. Oh.. and there is a windguard.. but even with it up and no wind, was still like watching paint dry. Maybe it was because I was watching it ;-)

thanks for the tips though.. I'll give Cub a call now and see what they suggest.. and let you all know!
FollowupID: 772242

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 17:59

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 17:59
What make is the stove?
AnswerID: 496578

Reply By: Greenant - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 14:08

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 14:08
hi Mijango

easy fix go to the big green shed and buy a 1.00 mm drill bit (its the smallest they carry ) and drill out the jets quick and easy job you will be amazed at the difference or if unsure go to a bar-b-que store with your jets and see what they have if you are concerned about drilling out yours buy one and drill it out to test this made my jackaroo cooker go from hopeless to excellent and the shop I went to first said they even go with a bigger drill on some bar-b-ques

Greenant
AnswerID: 496609

Reply By: Stan2.8D - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:21

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:21
Coleman is the only way to go in my opinion.
I have one of their gas stoves and no matter how hard the wind blows, the flame has
NEVER gone out. However in strong winds, it may take ages to boil some water but that's not the stove's fault!
I have the 2 burner Instastart; about $120 from most leading camping stores.
http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/Gear/Cooking-and-Heating/LPG-Stoves/LPG-Stoves.aspx

One tip with these, is to turn off the gas each time you have finished cooking and let the gas in the line burn out then turn off the knob. This way you have no gas hanging around in the line to potentially leak, the bottle is always off and apparently it lengthens the life of the regulator.

You can either use the little Coleman bottles which is quite an expensive way to go, or a normal bottle.
AnswerID: 496659

Sponsored Links