OUTBACK TREKING

Submitted: Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:00
ThreadID: 98506 Views:2299 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Gday folks,

I have a Garmin handheld gps map60 that has Oztopo maps installed.
The maps imo are good.
But the screen is just too small for my liking.
My question to all you outback trackers is can I connect the GPS to a small laptop or similar and use it as you would the gps......does this make sense ?
The bigger screen will enable us to see more, more clearly I hope.

Thanks in advance
Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:53

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:53
Hello

If you want to transmit data shown on the screen of the GPS to a larger screen (such as a laptop) - No you cant. It is possible (apparently) to use a program called nRoute to display Garmin format maps on a PC but I dont think the program is supported anymore and it would also require you to purchase another copy of Oztopo (assuming Oztopo works on nRoute, plus I dont know where you would get nRoute either).

If you wish to pursue this avenue maybe have a search through the forums on the GPS Australia Forum - search nRoute - fair bit of discussion on the subject. I cant help anymore on this as I have never bothered to try nRoute.

Plan B is to use OziExplorer, Trackranger, TwoNav or similar on a PC/Tablet/iPad with raster type maps - thats what most people do if they desire/require bigger screens.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 496556

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 13:10

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 13:10
Hi Terry

Yes and No

Firstly for the No. If you connect the GPS to a laptop, it will recognize it as a new device, it should then install the correct driver, but it will not give you a screen shot of what you are seeing in your GPS screen.

Now for the Yes.

You will need to purchase a good mapping programme like OziExplorer and a good set of Topo maps from the Natmap series. One you have those installed on your computer and when your GPS is connected, it will give you a very good moving map, and far more detail that the maps on your GPS.

Here is a screen dump of the Wilpena area in the Flinders Ranges, so it will show you the detail from a 1:250k map.

Then when you get more detailed maps, you get even more detail. Here is a screen dump of the same area, but with a 1:50k map

Once you have used Ozi, it is the best thing to use when you head bush.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496557

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 21:19

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 21:19
Hi Terry

I'm with Stephen on this- I use a Garmin GPSv as a GPS engine connected to a home built computer running Oziexplorer and a combination of maps including HEMA maps 4WD Series, Oztopo, Garmin, Shonky Maps, UBD and Street Smart. This is all viewed on a hideaway 7.5" TFT Touch screen that fits in the space under the radio.

The size of the screen is huge compared to a GPS, yes it is smaller than laptop, but it isn't a projectile when 4WD. The touch screen allows you to operate Oziexplorer but this is backed up by wireless mouse and keyboard?

TFT screen also doubles as a reverse camera screen.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 772276

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 21:33

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 21:33
Hello Anthony

How do you use Oziexplorer to view "a combination of maps including .....Oztopo, Garmin, Shonky Maps". These three map sets (Garmin?) are not in a format suitable for OziExplorer.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 772277

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 23:51

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 23:51
Hi Greg

Apologies if my post was misleading. This may make it a little clearer:

I use a Garmin GPSv as a GPS engine connected to a home built computer running Oziexplorer with HEMA maps. I also run a combination of maps including, Oztopo, Garmin, Shonky Maps, UBD and Street Smart...

No problems with any of the HEMA stuff or Greg Harewoods Rastermaps on Oziexploer, same with UBD City Streets and Regional Cities and Towns.

Because I run a full blown computer, I also have Garmin Mapsource (and Trip and Waypoint Manager) loaded which takes care of the others (Oztopo, Garmin, Shonky Maps etc). Streetsmart is a law unto itself and has it's own platform.

I also use Google Earth and Google Maps when I can get a phone signal - Telstra Turbo mobile Internet with external aerial. I have replied to a post on this previously.

All mapping programs have their pro's and cons and limitations (which is why I switched to Oziexplorer), but i still use them all at different times.

The point I was trying to make is that it is possible to use a GPS as an engine to Interface with a computer/laptop to get better digital mapping.

And Yes! - I still carry paper maps in case it all goes south - which it hasn't - YET!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 772288

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 10:32

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 10:32
"...Greg Harewoods Rastermaps..."

Now you're talking :)

Just to make it clear to the OP - you can use Mapsource (or Basecamp) to view Garmin format maps (e.g. Oztopo, Shonky) on a PC but these two programs dont have a moving map function so not as useful as a full on gps mapping program such as OziExplorer, Trackranger, TwoNav, Global Mapper etc which use the gps signal to show your position and allow the saving of waypoints, tracks etc while on the move. Hence my suggestion to maybe investigate nRoute (if using garmin format maps is a priority) which is a Garmin map viewing program that does have moving map fuctionality.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 772298

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:04

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:04
Agree with Greg 100% which is why I swapped over to Oziexplorer as my program of choice.

Apart from the limitations of the actual map sets i.e. detail and coverage, the lack of moving map on Garmin is a worry.

I have spent nearly a grand on digital mapping programs and map sets - mostly because of trial and error and also because of a lack of guidance from so called experts who were more interesed in making a dollar (or nearly 1000 of them).

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 772344

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 07:31

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 07:31
Terry

We recently got a notebook to carry with us to store photos and videos on as the car camera only held 32GB. I put a full version of Oziexplorer on it as a trial to see how it stood up against our indash 5" VMS box with OziCE on it.

To me when driving it was a no-brainer. These are supposed to help the driver navigate by himself. After all you may not always carry a navigator. I don't.

The thing that impressed me was the small amount of map shown on the VMS. No clutter and very easy to find the icon to see where you were and where to go when driving. All at a glance instead of having to stop all the time. Remember its for solo, "driver alone", navigation also and this must be taken into account.

I gave up on the full screen notebook and it was turned off and stored, hidden in the back. Away from thieving eyes.

When driving you dont want more than a few K's around you. Not the whole state of WA. We use the Notebook when stationary for a cuppa or whatever and do the driving navigation with the small 5" VMS unit.

Of course like others above we use Oziexplorer and OziCE for map management and display.

Phil
AnswerID: 496644

Sponsored Links