Importing Trucks

Submitted: Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:37
ThreadID: 98507 Views:2124 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone im interested in some feedback regarding importing an F truck from America has anybody out there done this and if so could you let me know who you went through and any other relevant information.
Cheers
Baker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 15:00

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 15:00
I presume you're talking about a 2nd hand unit. I currently have a 2005 F250 XLT 4x4 sitting in a yard in Canada after purchasing it for our recent trip. While they can be amazingly cheap in the USA and Canada, the hoops you have to jump through to get one back can be a long and exhausting process. It is certainly not something we would have contemplated unless we had been living overseas for more than a year. Even then we would have bought a new vehicle and had it shipped ex factory (dealer) to satisfy Australia's stringent AQUIS requirements. Expect $30K plus for RHD conversion costs as well once you get it home.

A google search will provide plenty of sites of vehicle importers as well as the government regulations surrounding imports. It's not as simple as popping it in a container believe me. This link is a good start;

Importing a vehicle to Aust from the USA

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496569

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 15:51

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 15:51
Hey Mick, they were pretty clean then ;-))
As Mick says there are lots of hoops to go through, the best way would be to go through one of the Aussie companies that have approval to import and convert them in limited numbers, not cheap but for the average Joe without full workshop and a tame engineer pretty much the only way.
I bought the Humvee in under the 15 year rule which stops at 1989 so not much good for recent models.
Currently in Great Falls Montana travelling in the F250 on the left in the picture.
FollowupID: 772264

Sponsored Links