Tanami Road in Disco 3

Submitted: Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 13:03
ThreadID: 98508 Views:2391 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just did a quick trip to Broome from Alice across Tanami. No problem to Broome although WA side much rougher then NT. On return trip blew Two tyres! Also discovered the Disco3 suspension try's to level out car when you have a blow out leave the back of the vehicle almost touching the ground. Made for very difficult tyre changing. Has anyone had this issue?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 13:13

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 13:13
You can find a rock or log or build a mount of dirt. Drive the flat wheel up onto it. This will give clearance under the flat to get a jack working. When the wheel is off, remove the rock/log etc.
AnswerID: 496558

Follow Up By: Hotalice - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 15:00

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 15:00
Good advice. We did manage this in the end although I think a pick would have been quicker than the shovel on the very hard rocky patch of Tanami we were on :)
FollowupID: 772261

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 14:22

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 14:22
I have same vehicle and have had same situation, not when I did the the Tanami though.
I carry a High Lift as well as the 4 tonne bottle jack in the car and even carry the Air Bag Jack most times which makes for a quick easy change of wheels. The standard jack is not worth a knob of Goat #&*@ if thats what you were using.
For me, the Air Bag is safer and quicker than the High Lift but no doubt others will reply saying the opposite. I can slide the Air Bag under even when it is on its bump stops with its bottom and top mat, hook in my compressor and away you go.
I like the Air Bag better than the High Lift also as being quicker (for me) than the other Jacks and I can get out of the heat and back into the air con sooner - I live in the Kimberley.
AnswerID: 496562

Follow Up By: Hotalice - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 14:56

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 14:56
Thanks for that. Dead right about the jack supplied with the car. We used the bottle jack but did wonder about an air jack. Do you know if the air jacks can damage anything else under the car when fully inflated?
FollowupID: 772260

Reply By: AlanTH - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 21:23

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 21:23
On the subject of punctures, be very wary if exploring tracks north of Mt Jackson WA as the bloke that has the mineral rights to this area has staked tracks in an effort to stop anyone travelling in "his" area.
On the last recent long weekend we were up there (I wasn't on this particular run) a D4 got a very nasty staking from a piece of metal with 2 bolts welded to it which had been ground down and buried points up under the sand.
Another vehicle just avoided a similar staking.
One expensive tyre ruined but lucky he was travelling with a group.
Highly dangerous and highly illegal I would think irrespective of whether you have any mineral rights or feel no one else should be there or not.
Be warned.
AlanH.

AnswerID: 496585

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 22:48

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 22:48
From what I have been told, if there are no signs you report it to the Police and the Mines Dept in Perth giving the location. In the past people have been charged for simular offences.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 772282

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 23:07

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 23:07
Nasty...In general terms having a granted mineral tenement of any type (exploration/prospecting licence or mining lease for example) doesnt give you "ownership" of the land to the point you can try and restrict other lawful access. Obvioulsy if a mine is in opertaion or full on exploration is in progress different story. The land would be under pastoral lease, private ownership or even a Govt reserve of some type irrespective of tenement status...placing "traps" is criminal in any event... Could result in someone's untimely passing.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 772283

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 09:56

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 09:56
There were signs up stating that the tracks had been staked and I suspect the blokes thought it meant a lease had been staked by surveyors.
Doesn't make it right under any circumstance. Hopefully the one that suffered the damage did report it to the mines dept and police in Kal where he was going.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 772293

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 00:48

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 00:48
I had a puncture last week and that did not happen - I just raised the car to max height using LLAMS and then put the jack under it - no real issues but you are correct about the jack it is an accident waiting to happen.

Why didn't you just raise the vehicle before using the jack?

Garry
AnswerID: 496594

Sponsored Links