We're back - what a great trip!

Submitted: Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 22:27
ThreadID: 98512 Views:2012 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick note to say we're back from our short trip (shame its over so quick). I've already heard the requests for a blog and pics and yes I promise I will do one because of course there was some "exploring" done ;) A special thanks however to our amazing ExplorOz Forum contributors who responded to my various posts asking for campsite suggestions and for guiding us to some of your favourite sites in the area. You might find my blog story a bit boring though - we could've done more but our priority was to focus on just being together as a family "unplugged" from electronic games so it didn't much matter where we were. For now, I've got a busy weekend ahead so no promises on the blog until early next week!
Kindest regards, Michelle & family.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 22:31

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 22:31
Hi Michelle

Great yo hear you had a great family time away, nothing beats that.

Looking forward to the blog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496590

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:55

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:55
I note from your trek that you went to Dryandra, which I reckon has to be the most under-rated experience in WA. I took two of my sons there one October holidays when they were about 12 & 14 and camped at Congelin and we were the only people there until my sister and her tribe arrived just on dusk. We caught yabbies in the dam, there was an echidna crossing the road as we drove in and we saw a numbat as we were setting up our camp.

Later that afternoon I was sitting in my camp chair having a billy tea when an emu stuck its head over my shoulder and grabbed a cracker biscuit out of my hand, much to the huge delight of the kids and then scampered off when they laughed uproariously at my shock. A little while latter some very pretty little brush wallabies came hopping along past our camp and stopped to watch us as if we were the strangest things they'd ever seen. That night we had possums visit.

And all that was before we went to the fantastic Barna Mia animal sanctuary and saw very rare furry little critters right at our feet.

It takes a fair bit to impress a 14 yo boy but they still talk about it. It was just fantastic and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone, with or without kids. Probably due to go back actually, now that I think about it.

Love to hear your experience.

AnswerID: 496627

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:37

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:37
Dammit Paul you have given the secret away!

I had a long weekend at Dryandra a few years ago and did all the things you mention and the red ochre walk AND met famous Exploroz blogger HeatherG as well! Would liked to have seen a numbat in the wild.

It is worth mentioning that the faclities there which include long drops, gas barbecues and fire rings, a well marked walk trail around the camp detailing its history are all provided for a modest fee by the much maligned DEC.

The work DEC has done at the Barna Mia sanctuary has been important in helping preserve some seriously endangered animals and it is certainly worth the price of admission.

cheers

Rocco

FollowupID: 772345

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:40

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:40
.... and you should always check ... it was Heather M and John! apologies...

Rocco
FollowupID: 772346

Sponsored Links