Camprite vs Kimberley camper trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:56
ThreadID: 98528 Views:14090 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Wanting to purchase one of the above trailers but having trouble narrowing it down to final decision. I think strength wise, pound for pound they would be comparable. Setup time is definitely a priority as I have 3 kids.

Price of the Camprite is approx $45000 vs $55000 for Kimberley platinum with ensuite room and kids room. Looking for opinions on anyone that owns either.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:17

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:17
I reckon they're both outrageously expensive for what you do with them - take your family on holiday.

For $40 or 50-odd thousand you could take them on overseas holidays about 4 or 5 years running. Not that I'm suggesting people should take their families overseas on holidays, but it just seems an outrageous amount of money to spend on a minimalist holiday!

But best wishes with your deliberations.
AnswerID: 496662

Follow Up By: shanegu6 - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:26

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:26
I depends on what you like I suppose. We've been overseas and have travelled much of oz and much prefer our own backyard and most of all the remote outback areas and tracks.
FollowupID: 772364

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:26

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:26
But after 4 - 5 years you don't get back at least 50% of the cost of these overseas trips as you would with a quality camper...... 5 grand a year for unlimited accommodation and fun seem reasonable to me.

People said the same thing to use when we bought our Ultimate camper.... bought our first one and had it 3 years and lost $1500 on the original purchase price.

The only thing I would suggest is buy used at a good price.

Don't see why people have to buy late model cars.... when you can catch a bus! LOL
FollowupID: 772365

Follow Up By: Capt. Wrongway - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 15:11

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 15:11
I totally agree with Paul. Absolutely outrages prices on campertrailers @ $40thou plus. There's not $20 thou worth of parts in any of them. I could have a number of very nice family holidays with that sort of money and still have change to purchase a good used 4wd and trailer of lesser value.

But, each to their own. I hope you get great enjoyment out of whatever trailer you purchase.

Capt.
FollowupID: 772371

Reply By: jlAU (SA) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:35

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:35
shanegu6
We have a Kimberley Platinum and family room ad on. Attention to detail and up to date and future technology are the difference in price. We are all ready looking forward to our next Kimberley not because we are not happy with our purchase but the absolute opposite. I was concerned about paying 50k plus for camping but not now. Yes you could go on some overseas holidays but what do you have when you fifty k is gone? with a Kimberley go checkout the resale and you will have an answer.Don't go for a camper at half the price. If you can do it go for the top end models/brands and you will be rewarded during and after your camping days are gone.
contact me if you want some more info or photos/ideas.
good luck jl
AnswerID: 496664

Follow Up By: shanegu6 - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:58

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:58
I'd love some photos of your set. How many kids do you have with your setup? Or family I should say. Do you have the ensuite room as well?

Thanks

Shane
FollowupID: 772366

Follow Up By: jlAU (SA) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 15:12

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 15:12
Shane
will do
FollowupID: 772372

Follow Up By: 02.murray - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 16:36

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 16:36
We have a 2008 Kimberley Limited - optioned up with extra batteries etc. The Kimberley's hold their resale value so it is not like blowing $50,000 on a couple of overseas holidays - and they take you places you wouldn't see in a month of Sundays overseas. In 2010, we spent 9 months on the road (or should I say off the road) in our Kimberley. we opted to have the KK for ourselves, and a Black Wolf Tent for teenage son. We did about 40,000 and over half of that was entirely offroad - when I say offroad I mean track work - proper low range 4WD stuff. The difference with the KK and the cheaper brands is that not only did it go everywhere we went, but it came back entirely in one piece and without one issue. We spent weeks at a time in remote places with no neighbours - beaches to ourselves. We didn't even travel the black top across the Nullabor - instead took a track that follows along the edge of the Bunda Cliffs. Can't replicate that overseas. My main recommendation is that you get a quick awning - makes overnight setups so much easier and if you are doing remote stuff, invest all you can in batteries and solar. Our Kimberley is waiting for its next adventure, and we can be packed and on the road at short notice. You won't regret this purchase.
FollowupID: 772374

Follow Up By: jlAU (SA) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 16:54

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 16:54
Shane
just a few photos of our setup
jl Kimberley Kamper Setup
FollowupID: 772375

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:17

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:17
I am not familiar with the Camprite but a friend of mine bought a kK and it is a good unit.

One thing to be aware of is the towball weight. My friend put his on the back of his Patrol and it just sank it. He had to immediately but bigger springs for the rear so the vehicle wasn't dragging the bum along the ground.
They have a long drawbar with all sorts of goodies on it and the wheels set well back but the weight balance is not what I would want to tow. Just too heavy on the ball. Yes, I know about recommended ball weight %. Still think it is too much.

You don't mention what your vehicle is. If for a KK then it has to be a Patrol or Cruiser.
AnswerID: 496689

Follow Up By: shanegu6 - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:32

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:32
I have the best 4wd on the market. :) just ask me and a few friends over at the patrol forum. Its a 2005 patrol wagon TD42Ti.

She's all geared up for towing heavy rigs. Just sold my 3 tonne van to get a camper.
FollowupID: 772393

Follow Up By: jlAU (SA) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:08

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:08
The design is more weight to the front (tows beautifully under any road conditions) but towbar weight isn't a problem. I fill the back water tank behind trailer wheels and this takes a lot of weight of the towbar. I do have good quality air bags on my Triton and adjust to what ever I'm towering as this is my work bus as well. I often take the KK with me to work instead of staying in Motels or Clients spare room.
jl
FollowupID: 772411

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 23:37

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 23:37
Hi Shane,

I had a Camprite for ~4 years and reckon its the best camper trailer on the market for a family. But if it was just the wife and me, I would probably go for the KK (actually would much prefer the AORC Odyessy, but these are otherwise similair).

The Camprite is really great for kids, all your bedding stays setup (though you would need 1 bunk bed for the 3rd kid - add say 2 minutes to set a bunk up) and I simply prefer the sleeping arrangements for the family. Also, the kids are more "cocooned" in their beds and you don't seem to disturb them the same way as the flipovers.

The KK (and other hardfloor flipovers) are great with quick setup times, but factor in 3 kids beds and making them every night (not a huge deal) and for me the Camprite is the better family unit.

I had a four bike rack plus 2 kayak carries and the ability to leave these attached but still be able to set the camper up is another huge bonus for the Camprite. While the others can have bike/kayak carriers, they need to be removed to setup (when roof mounted). The Camprite bikerack swings to the side and the kayaks just hang upside down when you setup, no need to remove.

As for spending that amount of $$$ on a quality unit, I have had several campers/vans and have always sold them for MORE than I paid after ~4-5 years of use. Money for overseas hoiday is gone as soon as the holiday is over (had several of those too!). Buy wisley and its "almost" an investment!

Cheers

Captain

AnswerID: 496695

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:39

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:39
Dear Shanegu6

We got a KK for a few years ago as our kids started to leave home, we think it is absolutely fantastic. Prior to that we had a large side flip. IF I had three younger kids I would seriously think about a sideflip (or perhaps a Camprite following The Captain's comments), as the KK isn't really family friendly for extended stays or if conditions are wet. Like wise most families don't really travel on roads for extended periods that the KK is designed for.
I must add we don't have a family room on our KK, but does have a full annex.
We have done 7000km around central Oz with three teenagers as a once off and that meant a couple camping outside in swags to be comfortable.
Apart from weight, which comes as part of it's indestructible nature I can not fault the KK is any way what so ever, but I would be looking at a CT which gives you more internal room without taking ages to set up all the awnings etc.
Hard floors are quicker to set up than soft floors and you don't get as dirty with a dust encrusted underfloor, but that is the price you pay for having like us 3 kids. By the time you pack all your annexes in the KK, it doesn't leave a great deal of room for other gear where as large soft floor it is all built in. I don't know the age of your kids, but make setting up/ packing up part of their jobs. You will find if you give them a really responsible job, they will do it diligently, (with some supervision or final checking).

I have no qualms about the value of a good CT compared to overseas or resort holidays. Even though market depreciation is minimal, consider a 2nd hand one to defray the large outright purchase price.
AnswerID: 496702

Follow Up By: jlAU (SA) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:56

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:56
Mark
We have the family room (large attachment) for our KK and leave it attached and fold it altogether in kamper, takes 5 minutes extra to peg out one pole one rope. We have a Bedouin awning we put up for extended stays. More than doubles living area when setup. The other awnings are quicker but I have the Bedouin setup down to 20 minutes.
FollowupID: 772407

Sponsored Links