Yokahama Geolander a/t-s reviews and tyre size questions

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:47
ThreadID: 98536 Views:2203 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

My 2006 HDJ100 l have just bought has Geolander A/T-s tyres fitted. They are 275/65/17. What are these tyres like off road? On road they are great. I am a little concerned about the performance off road. I have looked on the net and found they are a two ply side wall and a load rating of 1215kg and speed of 210kph.

I have had BFG Muddys on all my cars. They area a three ply side wall and load of 1450 and speed og 160kph in a 285/70/17 size.

Has anyone found the 20mm of hight in a 100 series a real big advatage? My driving these days is more touring. But, my fear is in the High Country or desert plains when the rain sets in, how will the Geolanders stand up to this?

I have thought of BFG muds on steel rims. So no concern of damage to alloys when off road.

Anyone with any information would be great. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 22:07

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 22:07
Mick : I dont know much of the new ones but the old yokahams , soft as butter on the side walls !!!! ...i got sick of replacing them ....
Cheers Nick b
VKS 737 ( 0915 )

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496692

Follow Up By: mick78 - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 22:18

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 22:18
G'Day Nick,

What year was it that you think they changed?

Thank you.
0
FollowupID: 772398

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 20:35

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 20:35
many moons ago now ...maybe 20 years , I think they were called supper diggers . I changed to good year wranglers and now micky's & maxxis big horns !!!!
Cheers Nick b
VKS 737 ( 0915 )

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 772451

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 22:53

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 22:53
I've had 2 sets, got 80,000 kms plus out of each, plenty of off road including North Flinders Ranges and have never even had a puncture. I got them on the recommendation of guys who did a lot of outback and were impressed with them. I reckon the right tyre pressure for the weight of the car and the surface is the secret. I had the HT Geolanders on a Subaru and they were soft rubbish.
AnswerID: 496693

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:36

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:36
I have used them for years on the Patrol till the KM 2s went on last year.

Of all the trips I done, including Cape, CSR, High Country and the bits in between, never had a problem with the Geolanders. In 10 years have two puntures and both thoes were close to home, a tec screw in one and a rivit in the other. The last set are now on the camper and still going strong.

The size was 265.75.16. Presure plays a big part on how they preform, never went above 38psi and never below 16.

One of the best all round tyres I have ever used in the last 36 years of owning 4WDs.
AnswerID: 496698

Follow Up By: mick78 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:19

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:19
Hello Tony, thanks for your reply. You have seen a lot with the geolanders. How did you find them in the muddy sections on the cape? Have you gone up a size with the KM2 tyres?
0
FollowupID: 772413

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 17:53

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 17:53
The Cape was ok, a lot of wheel spin on the steep exits, a Mud tyre may have prevented that. Went into Maytown via the coach road and was fine.

No I stayed with the same size tyre when changing over to the KM2s'. I rather like standard width, less chance I think of sidewall damage compared to wider ones.
0
FollowupID: 772443

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:55

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:55
Happy with mine - just got back from 2 weeks on Fraser towing a camper at 14 psi. We didn't drive the back beach, it was all inland tracks and west beach.
Frankly as a mud tyre for getting traction when the rain sets in out west I think you probably know you're looking at completely the wrong tyre. Lateral grip in the Yokos is awesome, but as for hooking up in slush, they go like an AT not an MT. No all terrain is going to get you off a wet desert plain like a proper mud tyre. No mud tyre is going to get you around a corner on the road in the wet like the Yoko AT though... your compromise to make.
AnswerID: 496699

Follow Up By: mick78 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:29

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:29
Thank you for your reply. I have had two trips to the big desert and sunset country on these tyres. As you mention in the sand and highway and wet they are excellent! But, I guess my concern is since I have had bfg muddys. What ever happened with the weather I always had the best traction. Maybe it's something I have to get used too. The tyre size is smaller than I would like, but is the 20mm going to make that much of a change?
0
FollowupID: 772414

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 17:06

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 17:06
I don't think the 20mm is going to reduce your offroad ability because they are a big enough tyre for the cruiser anyway. Reading further down the page it is not used around town, just a touring vehicle. With that in mind I'd be sticking with the BFG MT's. If you're using it as a proper 4wd which it sounds like you are, traction tyres are just another tool offroad - why not have them?
0
FollowupID: 772437

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 08:16

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 08:16
My first question is why do you want an aggressive tyre like the KM2 that are a mud tyre when your driving is more touring orientated.....

It's a no brainer, do you buy a tyre for the 5% chance you may need that type of tyre and have a disadvantage for the other 95% of your driving.

Forget about tyre strength and sidewalls.... a mud tyre is one of the most puncture prone tyre out there, the big gaps between the lugs that make up 50% of the tread surface area is not very thick and in most cases only 1/2 a thick as a A/T.

The only advantage of a mud tyre is more grip in real rocky slow stuff and mud plus to some the biggest draw card is they look tough!.... the down side is you pay a premium, you get less mileage, your fuel consumption increasers, you get poor handling and in rocky stuff you tear off lugs.... as for puncture resistance I would say less than an A/T.

As for grip again do you buy for the 5% or the 95%?

Alloy rims are stronger than steel and the last and only time I have damaged a rim was when we ran over a star dropped sitting 5 inches out of the ground on a freshly graded road (remains of a old fence line).

We have Mickey Thompsom MTZ's on our 200 series and hate them with a passion, may look at Cooper ST Maxx or another slightly more aggressive A/T

Do you have a winch?
AnswerID: 496704

Follow Up By: mick78 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:43

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:43
G'Day, the answer to your first question is l have always had bfg mud. Never had a drama in any if my trips for the last 15 years. Always adjusted tyre pressure to suit. I just do not have the faith in the a/t.

As for mud tyre strength. In my touring trips and live 2 hrs from the high country. Never had a flat. A mate on the Simpson trip had two flats ion hos cooper a/t. Another on Bridgestone a/t.

I have had trips where over night the weather cam turn and the tracks become like soup. I have a winch. Never had to use it. Maybe it's cause I have had bfg MUDs?

I always adjust tyre pressure to suit. Inherent can you hock up the winch in a bog in the desert?

I understand your 95% and 5%. I have a work car and the 100 series is used for trips only. So a mud is no problem. As its not used around town. It has not been a looks thing for me.

I guess it's more I have little faith in the a/t. Just putting the feelers out to see how other people go with the geolanders. I am willing to try or say wear ten out as the new car has them on.

I have always had 33 inch tyres. Just wondering how many people do it with 275/65/7 on there cars.

Thank you

0
FollowupID: 772415

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 13:07

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 13:07
I understand your concerns.....we have done remote trips with people (groups up to 15 vehicles) where there has be a mixture of all tyre types and there has never been a concern for one type of tyre getting more punctures....... most come down to driver error and being unlucky.

As for A/T tyres not performing very good in mud..... again a bit of a question mark, A/T tyres work OK in mud but deep sticky mud then no..... we have had M/T tyres struggle in clay where the only way was to winch 300m.

After reading your posts it seems you have already made your mind up that BFG KM2 M/T tyres are the way to go and as for size.... get the biggest you can as you will not be happy with any other size.

BTW.... make sure the white lettering is on the outside.
0
FollowupID: 772423

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)