oil.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 20:48
ThreadID: 98548 Views:2046 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Im about to recieve my landcruiser 76 wagon that i ordered back in may and i'v been trying to find out with very limited success as to what engine oil is reccomended in these vehicles as i will only be taking it back to toyota for the first 5000k and getting my own mechanic to do the rest of the services there after.

I had a jeep wrangler 2.8 litre common rail diesel wich i recently sold to make way for the toyota and i always used penrite0 fully synthetic oil wich is reccomended for modern european and japanese diesel engines and most mechanics that iv spoken to say its one of the best oils out there,yet iv got people telling me that you cant use that oil on a cruiser coz its not recommended and will cause dammage. is this true.? if so could someone please let me know what oil is recommended?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 20:58

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 20:58
Why don,t you read the owners manual ,
an go by the manufactures specs ,
mechpete
AnswerID: 496739

Follow Up By: Les R2 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:07

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:07
Would like to read the owners manual but dont own the car yet and havnt been able to find and download the manufacturers specs anywhere online.

Les.
FollowupID: 772453

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:23

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:23
Les

I have read on other forums that a lot of people recommend full synthetic oil. See what the handbook has to say when you take delivery.
FollowupID: 772456

Follow Up By: Les R2 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:29

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:29
Yeah i think that may be the way to go mate, it all just seems to hard to find anything online.

Cheers.
Les
FollowupID: 772458

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:09

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:09
Hi Les,

Best to get on LCOOL.org and read up on the many threads regarding oil. Its a topical subject and just as many opinions.

The V8 diesel had a bit of a reputation for using oil at one point and, apart from the very early ones, a lot of this was thought to be the oil type and how hard the vehicle was driven (big V8 and low load = glazed bores).

My take on all the opinions was to use a good quality oil mineral oil, perhaps a semi synthetic or even full if you wanted to spend extra $$$ for arguably no benefit, but best thing was to change on time or even early. More cost effecive to get a mineral oil and change early than a synthetic and change on time.

Anyway, read it all up for yourself and see what conclusions you draw!

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 496752

Follow Up By: hagar - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:58

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:58
I have a 2008 model agree with these comments the only other thing to concider is a better fuel filtration system to prevent damage from bad fuel ( water)
FollowupID: 772490

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 23:39

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 23:39
Mobile Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 was recommended, for my 2008 Troopy by the Mobile Lube Engineer.
He also stated that a synthetics benefit will far outweigh the costs over the long term.
AnswerID: 496759

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:32

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:32
Les

Further to my comment above. Today I spoke with the service manager at the nearest Toyota dealer. The reason being simply that next week I take delivery of a new 70 series cab chassis and intended on having them carry out the services as they are quite handy to us. When negotiating the purchase, unfortunately another dealer some distance away was able to come up with a better deal, hence they did not sell us the vehicle.

Regardless, the bloke I spoke with was most helpful and (I think) fair dinkum. As far as he is concerned the oil issue still exists (and he was somewhat less than gracious in his comments about Toyota and their handling of the matter), though primarily with the twin turbo 200 jobbies. However they use fully synthetic oil (and don't charge extra) which he maintains solves the problem. Also another matter I found interesting was the point of the fixed price servicing. His comments were along the lines that Toyota picks up the tab for the shortfall, as part of their marketing strategy.

I was impressed with his straight forward attitude and he certainly appeared honest, so I'll be giving them a go. And I have been around long enough and I reckon I'm long enough in the tooth to be a reasonable judge of a bloke. However in light of the foregoing I feel it circumspect to not publish the name of the outfit.

Anyone interested, feel free to PM and I will disclose freely.
AnswerID: 496810

Follow Up By: Les R2 - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:50

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:50
Rosco.

Thanks for all the info mate its a hell of a lot more than i was able to come up with.

I ended up geting that service advantage as well mate to try and keep the cost of servicing down, i have heard toyota arent exactly shy about charging you an arm and a leg.

Anyway i should be taking delivery of the new toy tomorrow, so thanks again mate been a big help and i hope you enjoy your new cruiser

Cheers.
Les
FollowupID: 772534

Sponsored Links