Pajero Mods

Submitted: Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 20:58
ThreadID: 98550 Views:9696 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Have been considering the whole Pajero v Prado thing for a little while now.

I'm going to have a look at a 2008 Pajero tomorrow and curious on your thoughts about the limited range of mods for the Paj compared to what is available for the Prado.

Where not planning any extreme off-road 4WDing like the 4WD Action boys, more touring (eg: Kimberly/Tanami trip June/July next year).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:27

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 21:27
Make sure you take it for a test drive, apart from being a bit noisy(diesel) they drive far better then a prado. 50mm lift is the most common mod and should be all you need, esp if it has traction control.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 496748

Reply By: NTVRX - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:31

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:31
G/DAY, I had a 2003 NP diesel auto & now a 2009 VRX diesel auto. Both fantastic the latter with the common rail motor has better auto,brakes & motor. The 2008 is a NS I think if so be sure it has had the DPF recall done...this is the diesel particle filter which was introduced on the NS by MM. There was a problem causing the DPF warning light to stay on & eventually drive owners crazy by having to attend Mits. service centres (as per directions to do so in drivers manual) because it identified unburnt fuel & would block up. The DPF was modified greatly in the NT to a flow through system & never a problem. Don't let this turn you away from the vehicle but if you can go the NT. My wife & I drove the Prado to compare it with the NT...there is no comparision in MHO. the Pajero is the best touring & towing vehicle I have ever owned & I have had Nissan,Toyota & Range Rover. All apart from the latter were reliable & very well made but the NP & NT were better. Have a look at the Pajero four wheel drive club of Victoria web site....like this forum they are very helpful & have a catogory for all Mits. vehicles. Good Luck.....you'll love that car!!
AnswerID: 496755

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 23:00

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 23:00
Thanks for the heads up re: the DPF, I'll make sure I check that out, great news about how happy you are with the Paj, have been running through the whole Paj v Prado scenario for a while now and it's doing my head in.

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 772467

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 00:12

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 00:12
From what I can gather, the DPF problem was a much bigger issue if the vehicle was essentially used in stop start city driving without 30 minutes on the freeway or highway every week or so. It was certainly never an issue with mine out at Kalgoorlie.

The otehr mod you may well consider is an extended fuel tank as against the Prado, the lack of fuel is a big issue: 90 ltr v 180-odd, from memory.

I agree with the earlier comments about Paj driving better than the Prado, having owned both.
FollowupID: 772468

Reply By: Bob R4 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:32

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:32
Hi Lloyd,
Towed our Kimberley Kamper 10,800 kms from Adelaide to Alice, across Tanami to Hall's Ck, Bungles, Broome, Cape Leveque, the Kimberley, Kunnunara, Darwin to Adelaide in 2010 over a 6 week period. Our 2005 Pajero DiD returned 14.2 l/100km for an all up weight of 3.94 tonnes ( checked over weigh bridge), with comfort and inspired confidence all the while. 50mm lift and OME springs and Shocks are the only mods. In my view, anything else just adds weight.
These vehicles will surprise you where they will go with the utmost aplomb. I've not experienced a Prado personally, but I can't imagine a superior performance from them, and the Pajero servicing appears to be significantly less expensive from what I've heard. eg the Paj has a 15,000km oil change interval, and the oil is cleaner at oil change time on the Paj than my Toyota Hi-ace van is at its required 5000km oil change interval.
Around town it drives like a car, and returns better than 10.2l/100km. My wife finds it easier to drive than any car we've had before (mainly Commodores and a Land Rover).
I hope you can find these comments helpfull.
Cheers, Bob
AnswerID: 496756

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:35

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:35
Forgot to say, make sure it's an auto, and it'll do it all for you.
Cheers, Bob
FollowupID: 772465

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:58

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:58
Thanks for your input Bob,

We are definitely thinking about some Tough Dog shocks and springs for our trip and that sounds like all we'll need, it's a bit too easy to get caught up when all you see in the 4WD mags is heavily modified 4WD's, the other thing we think will be worthwhile is some A/T tyres.

PS: We are also from Adelaide and are going nearly exactly the same route so your tips/info would be invaluable

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 772466

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:23

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:23
Hi Lloyd,
We had BS Desert Duellers A/Ts for the trip. They had 6mm tread left before the trip and I agonizd over whether we shpuld get new or not. Decided to go with the old ones and had one puncture on the Tanami which would have also happened with a new one anyway.
After we got back, we did another 10,000km around town before replacing with a new set of Duellers. I'd be afraid to try anything else as we have been so happy with the Duellers for wear, handling, traction and reasonable lack of tyre noise on tarmac.
You can contact me on 0409 674 623
Cheers, Bob
FollowupID: 772491

Reply By: patsproule - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 06:16

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 06:16
Another happy owner here - an 06 NP Diesel with manual. As the others have said it will go places that surprise you and the traction control does a good job of making up for the lack of articulation. As others have said a 2" lift is almost mandatory, but also fairly inexpensive in these as you do not need diff drops or extended brake lines etc. Other mods you should consider are some bash plates for underneath and a long range aux fuel tank for decent touring range. Total capacity of mine is 150l and on a freeway cruise it can return 1450km before a refill. Prados of that era do have 180l though.

The DiD motor is grunty, tough as nails, very reliable and has very few foibles. Get the top timing chain guide changed at 100,000km odd (some have fallen apart and dropped down the timing chain). If it's an NS the other main faults are a suction control valve (causes surging) and a blocked MAP sensor inlet causing a check light and low power (fixed with a fresh manifold under warranty from MMAL). Most of the DPF issues were resolved with fresh software about 6 months after the NS release. The NS has more power than the NP and the NT has more again, and is a fair way in front of the Prado D4D.

The Prado is a very good wagon as well. They are very capable out of the box and do well with similar mods to the Pajero. The D4D is a sweet & smooth motor but is slightly down on power in comparison. Some early ones have injector issues that can be identified with a loud knock at cold idle. Best thing over the Pajero is NVH. Worst thing is wobbly feeling on-road handling. I'd recommend you drive both at touring speeds and see what you prefer.

Pat
AnswerID: 496762

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 09:44

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 09:44
Yes, you raise some very good points Pat. When we drove the Prado ($10,000) more expensive than the Pajero with basically the same specs my wife complained that it "Wallowed like a whale!! and was "gutless" Bit harsh I thought but who am I to argue with the minister for war & finance!! I did forget to mention the "mods" I have put on my NT which I think have improved it greatly. 50mm lift OME from ARB with King load sharing springs in the rear. ARB deluxe bar which really sets the vehicle off. LRA 60 ltr aux tank. Spare wheel lift which makes access into rear door easier (Some dealers will do this at service for free & some will charge) I also did the usual things like a snorkel,winch,dual batteries etc....why? Because we go everywhere in the NT & love driving it. Around town I get about 10 km to the ltr & towing the van (depending on wind conditions etc) 7 km at 90-95 with 2500kg behind me.
FollowupID: 772479

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:53
IF you are going to do touring as mentioned above, I don't know why you would bother with the lift, it will only detract from handling dynamics.
IF you were going to regularly do mountain tracks or maybe OTT, then the lift yes.
Good Light Truck tyres are probably the best post purchase item you will buy.

The only mods we have on ours are Roo bar (only because I drive in roo country at night, otherwise a waste), Good driving lights (again if you do inland driving at night) and probably the best mod is the 2nd battery and heavy dutry wiring to the rear.
IF you are going to tow, then definitely improved springs and shocks.
IF you are kids free, consider a cargo barrier, Fridge slide.

What ever you buy you won't regret it!
AnswerID: 496819

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:45

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:45
Hi Lloyd,
I have an NS Pajero. The only mods I have done are to add a bullbar, towbar, driving lights and cargo barrier. I have also changed the standard 18" rims to 17" so I could have a larger choice of tyres. I had to buy OME steel 17" rims to do this because it was too difficult to find non genuine rims with the same offset.
My vehicle has the rear diff lock, added as an option at the time of purchase.
My wishlist includes another battery, upgraded wiring to the 12v socket in the cargo area, and a spare wheel lift. It gets really frustrating not being able to open the rear cargo door with our camper attached (although it is not too bad with the horsefloat), and having the cargo barrier means we can't access the cargo area through the back seats.
I like the way the seats in the cargo area fold under the floor, leaving more space in the cargo area. The seats can be very quickly and easily removed if needed too.
I had the DPF problems early on, but since the recall and fix, have had no further issues.
Good luck with your choice.
Leanne
AnswerID: 496840

Sponsored Links