Ripped off on service for new hyundi.

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 16:41
ThreadID: 98567 Views:3742 Replies:12 FollowUps:34
This Thread has been Archived
My son had his car serviced in Newcastle yesterday.

Before he took the car in for the service I got him to mark a couple of things they were suppose to do with a ultra violet marker.

When he got the car back he was told the service had been done including a tyre rotation etc.

He check the marks on the tyres and they were still the same place. He had a look at the oil and it didn't look 'fresh.

Unfortunately he did not mark the oil filter.

Needless to say he is very disappointed and will be contacting the dealer and completing the survey form they asked him to complete.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: escapesilv - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:05

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:05
Hi Boo Boo

It all seems to common now a days, make a quick buck and run.

I have had a similar experience with a Mitsubishi dealer, they just did not change the oil
or filter, so I am back to my private mechanic.

If he has a survey he can fill in, DONT HOLD BACK!!!

Good luck

Rob.
AnswerID: 496802

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:49

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:49
escapesilv
They don't make a quick buck and run. A quick dollar yes, but there is nothing making them run, they have it all sewn up. The ratio of people who check, to the ones who don't is very low and the servicing people are way out in front in the race for the $.
They just stay there and do it time and time again, so definitely no running.
I have been connected with the trade for a long time and most people don't realize and a have no idea as to the degree/level of fraud which happens. All makes at dealer level do it.
What does surprise me is the number of people who hotly continue to defend the people who are ripping them off. Very strange behaviour, it is as though they have something to lose if they speak up.
PS. Some one questioned Boo Boo and said, you can't prove the oil wasn't changed. If it wasn't clean oil just after a change then when is it going to be clean.
FollowupID: 772533

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:05

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:05
We took our LC200 in to a Darwin Toyota dealer for its 40K fix price service. The previous afternoon we picked up a tech screw in a tyre, my husband was going to plug it before we moved on. Anyway, picked up the vehicle and happened to notice the wheels hadn't been rotated - my husband went through the service sheet they had given him and on the sheet it said they had done it. He then went through the rest of the sheet against the vehicle and questioned the service manager who got pretty shirty and informed us they had a "standard" list they gave everyone when they picked up their vehicles but it didn't mean they had completed everything. Hmmmm...
AnswerID: 496803

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:07

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:07
Forgot to add.

Our opinion was that fix price servicing, $240 in our case against what would normally be charged to service the Landcruiser seems to mean they cut every corner they can.
FollowupID: 772508

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:48

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:48
Hi Sue,
I had to take my 200 series BACK 3 times (for the 40k service) to Bridge Toyota to get the service 'completed' to my satisfaction.... I was treated like a piece of excrement
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772509

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:03

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:03
I refuse to use the fixed price servicing on price alone
It it just not possible to carry out a proper maintenance service on a
4wd that gets used offroad for $240
I rather pay double that for an experienced independent mechanic who knows his stuff
FollowupID: 772512

Follow Up By: Hunter Gatherer - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 19:49

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 19:49
i also had a similar experience in Darwin with the Nissan dealership, realised that the tyres had not been rotated as after leaving Darwin . rang them from Katherine and after checking the service manager called back, apologised and refunded my credit card the cost. Obviously must happen often in the industry.
FollowupID: 772521

Follow Up By: happytravelers - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:34

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:34
The price you pay for fixed price servicing doesn't mean that is all the dealer gets paid for carrying out the service. They charge you the amount set down by Toyota or what ever make the vehicle is and are then paid the remainder by the vehicle manufacturer. Therefore the service is not skimped on because the dealership is trying to do it for a lower cost, they get paid their same rate whether it's fixed price servicing or not.
FollowupID: 772529

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 05:53

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 05:53
When a dealership invoices you for work that is deliberately not done it is still fraud. If it is paid for as part of a fixed price deal or not is irrelevant.

It is still an offence called fraud.

Unfortunately it seems that there are many in the motor trade who consider that defrauding customers is an acceptable business practice.

FollowupID: 772549

Follow Up By: Member - Jaap (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 15:36

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 15:36
If you look at the service book and the things that they are supposed to do in servicing a 200 series it becomes the most expensive oil and filter change you will ever have.
Most of the other items fall under the heading of "inspect"
However if you want warranty service or "extended" waranty you need the stamp in the book
FollowupID: 772577

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:23

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:23
Boo Boo,

I sent this email to the local dealer that has the franchise for 3 major vehicle makes.

I actually received an email back that stated "in the circumstances that they understood why I wouldn't buy from them"

With this mob if it isn't white with a yellow stripe and flashing lights then go row your boat elsewhere.

Here is the letter.

There service is so notorious that some locals drive their vehicles to Proserpine to have them serviced which is 120 klms away.

RA.
AnswerID: 496805

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:40

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:40
Go on, tell us the other two makes and put us out of our misery. Cos it will be happening to them too.
FollowupID: 772515

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:56

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:56
Ross two of them were mentioned in the email. Maxda and Hyundai.

I thought the white with yellow stripe and flashing lights would have given it away but the other make is Toyota.

Neither my 1999 very fast Hyundai excel or my 1989 Troopcarrier have ever been there. I am even reluctant to park it them car park if I have to buy genuine parts.

The ones going up to Proserpine for service own the Toyotas.

FollowupID: 772519

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:57

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:57
Yes I think Rockapes approach to this problem is the right one. I also think Rockape hits the nail on the head, why does the customer have to do all the chasing to find out whats going on?Why isn't the dealer being pro-active and calling the customer especially if there is going to be a delay. The lesson is a valuable one if you have your own business. I have experienced the same issues as Rockape but imagine when you finally pick up your vehicle and your favourite CD you were playing on the way to the dealer is missing when you finally collect the vehicle. Good service can only come when the dealer or service provider is passionate about what he does and cares. Too many dealers get business by default as Rockape says because they are the only place in that location, imagine the reaction when that incompetent dealer finds out customers are driving 130km just to go to another dealer.? GOLD..
FollowupID: 772568

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:29

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:29
Ripped off on service for new Hyundi.

I can't see how you were ripped off, it looks like the only thing they haven't done was the tyre rotation, if you can prove that take it back and get them to do it.

Unless you can prove you were ripped off, and you can't, I would not post on a public forum like this until you had all the FACTS.

It surprises me no end how the owners of this site allow people on here to post such threads, one day someone will get sued, good luck with that.

Phil
AnswerID: 496806

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:53

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:53
Phil

You are entitled to your opinion.

Wait until you take a vehicle in to get serviced and pay for that service, then find out that it had not been completed. Then see how you feel.

It might have only been the tyre rotation, but my son still paid for something that was not done.

On his first service the tyre pressures ranged from 37 psi to 50 psi.

If you want to accept shoddy service then that is your choice.

However, if the service dept says things are done then I expect them to be done.

FollowupID: 772510

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:08

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:08
I don't accept shonky work, I am smart enough to check that it is done before I leave as I my right.

If the tyres were not rotated take it back get them to do it and let them know you were not happy, don't come on here and have a whinge about what they may or may not have done without full proof, EG: the oil didn't look fresh, take it back and get them to check it or any other problems you may have.

If you then have proof then have a whinge here, but as far as I am concerned not before hand, because if I was the Dealer and I read this I would be sending you and the owners of this site a letter from my solicitors, as I would be well within my rights to do so.
FollowupID: 772513

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:29

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:29
Phil

I always enjoy 'bush lawyers' telling people, in this case me what I can and can't say.

I am not having a whinge. I am simply expressing my feelings about this service done on my sons car.

If you don't like that then you have a problem not me.

I believe everyone on this forum is entitled to express their opinion on a subject related to this forum.

If you or anyone else does not agree then thats your choice,,,,, but don't tell me what and when I can say something,, it's rude.

Unfortunately, it's people like you with a 'holy than thou attitude' that discourage some people from posting.

Now, I do have better things to do than waste anymore time with your 'bush lawyer' nonsense, so I'll leave it at that.

FollowupID: 772514

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:54

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:54
To all the posts that replied in the true spirit of this forum I thank you and can sympathise with your experiences.
FollowupID: 772518

Follow Up By: ian - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:36

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:36
Aussie traveller,
they are called lawyers these days, and anyone who took that file would be ripping you off cos you would lose. Boo Boo is in the clear.
Ian
FollowupID: 772530

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:12

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:12
As I have said previously, this is a great forum, but it is getting ruined by how some people reply to threads. I am only a visitor, but it really puts me off joining and posting threads!
Kevin
FollowupID: 772553

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:23

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:23
Kevin

I think you will find that most on this forum will agree with you.

It's very unfortunate that for some people aggression and rudness is the only way they can express themselves.

Most on the forum who want to disagree with you do it in a polite way.

Take Bruce on the thread about uhf's, he disagreed with some one, but the way he did it was very polite.

Most times the forum will just ignore those replies that fall into the 'bad' category.

Like you say it's a great forum, and it is worth joining.

FollowupID: 772554

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:52

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:52
I too have had a bad experience with Dealer service, the book stated to check all hoses, well my hoses were covered in dust so had them do it again, then my car came back with scratches so it went back again - the Service Manager crossed me off his chrissy card list but they knew that I was on to them so they made sure that the "pain in the butt" client was serviced properly.

I have to agree with the posting of comments, I was in the throws of joining and then the dark clouds appeared, LCOOL seems to be a bit more regulated / moderated.

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 772556

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:59

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:59
At no point have I been rude or aggressive, all I have done is point out that without all the facts and the fact your son hadn't been back to the dealer to sort things out, you have bad mouthed this dealership on an open forum.

Common decency would tell you that your son should have gone and had his discrepancies delt with first, and if at that point he was still disappointed the you could have put it up on the forum and not before.

What would you say I your son took the car back today and the dealer fixed all the problems if any found and offered you a refund or a free service next time, how foolish would you look then..

Just so as you know, I will not agree with you because you think you got ripped off, you would have to prove that you had been ripped off first.

To all the others that had a crack at me, this is Exploreoz.com, not I must agree with your post.com
FollowupID: 772561

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:08

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:08
"At no point have I been rude or aggressive"
"To all the others that had a crack at me, this is Exploreoz.com, not I must agree with your post.com "

I find this rude
FollowupID: 772562

Follow Up By: Member - Kris E - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:50

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:50
"Aussi Traveller posted:
At no point have I been rude or aggressive"

Maybe not enough to get Moderated, but you knew who people were referring to!

Need "Emoticons" to finish this post correctly....

Kris
Never forget: cars have owners, Defenders have field service personnel. The other car is my crumple zone.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 772565

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:39

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:39
After reading the latter posts I had a laugh, with all said and done all you guys could come up with is that I was rude and aggressive.

However none of you actually dissagreed with me that he should have had the facts and posted is dipute after his son had gone back to the dealership and had it all sorted out, as I said it would have been common decency.

To quote Boo Boo 'I believe everyone on this forum is entitled to express their opinion on a subject related to this forum. '

This is of cource only if they agree with what you have to say, as my opinion was different to yours and I have been admonished for it.

Have a nice day.
FollowupID: 772566

Follow Up By: Danna - Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 14:35

Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 14:35
Hi everyone

Normal, honest people are not suspicious and don’t have a paranoia when they put car for service. They anticipate from experts to do the right think!

I was one of those, until… I discovered I’m paying for very expensive parking in Toyota service department.

But there is more…. we have big problem with those mangles.
If you own a new Troop Carrier V8, there is NO a proper manual book to do your own service and repairs. And please, wait…there is NO plan to have one! We are talking about real 4WD for the bush! They expect you to come to their slack service centre for all that. But, what you going to do if you have brake down out there in bush?

We come to ask after service where is situated the oil filter? It took 4 mechanic and looking at computer to find it! Surprised?… Not me!… They didn’t even look at air filter, because I driven only 5000km, and filter was chock of block with dust. They even didn’t wonder why I’m complaining that vehicle have no power, but “drinks like Russian officer”!

Yes, you totally right it is about a time that some one starts suing vehicle service departments for ripping people off big time!

HooRoo Dana
FollowupID: 772647

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:31

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 17:31
Why not take it back and show the evidence to the manager/owner.

It may be a rogue technician, just not doing his job.
AnswerID: 496807

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:51

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:51
Notso

My son rang them about the tyre pressures (above) that were all over the place after the first service.

The same bloke then tells my son that the wheels were rotated this time.

Surely he would have paid a bit of attention this time if he was a good manager.

As to a rogue technician, well before I retired I had 170 full and part time staff and even with that many you soon get to know if someone is not doing their job.

Based on my own experience and others on this forum I'm really disappointed that you can't seem to trust many people that you rely on to do their work to a reasonable standard.

FollowupID: 772517

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:59

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:59
Yeah I agree, but I'd be dancing at their door if I could prove I'd been done!
FollowupID: 772520

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 19:35

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 19:35
"My son rang them about the tyre pressures (above) that were all over the place after the first service."

God help any serviceman who does tyre pressures on a certain members Patrol and is more than .08 psi out at 23.71 degrees ambient temp

:-)
FollowupID: 772592

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:45

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:45
The only time you should ever be surprised with dealer servicing is if they do it right.

Now that would be extremely rare and noteworthy.

Good on you for prior checking/marking and yes, it does get them Sh1tty cos you caught them out and they can smell problems. If you are a sucker, on problem.

AnswerID: 496811

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:47

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 18:47
That's no problem. Sorry i'm lysdexic today.
FollowupID: 772516

Reply By: donk - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 19:25

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 19:25
With the fixed price servicing with Toyota the dealer charges the customer the fixed price (foir example $210.00 for each service) and Toyota Australia the balance of the cost of the service (for example if the total cost was $600.00 Toyota Australia would pay the remaining $390.00)

Regards Don
AnswerID: 496813

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:33

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:33
G'day donk
I find it hard to believe that Toyota would be paying for the remainder of the service costs. To me, no way hose "A"
The $210 is to cover the basic items and filters which they get CHEAP and most don't use quality oils. So they cover their costs.
The meagre amount of servicing which may be performed takes very little time. Just because a customer waits for 1 hour doesn't mean it took that time. 20 mins maybe. They have all the gear and can do it quickly, so quickly some gets missed, not intentionally of course.
Oops, my tongue is stuck in my cheek.
FollowupID: 772527

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:34

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 21:34
That was confirmed to me today Don, and I have no reason to doubt it.
FollowupID: 772528

Follow Up By: donk - Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 21:03

Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 21:03
What i have posted is correct

I worked at Toyota Dealers from 1982 until earlier this year and would not post information that is not correct

Regards Don
FollowupID: 772674

Reply By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 19:35

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 19:35
Lived in NT for 20 years. Bridge Toyota have a real bad name amongst all my mates and their business,s. Just stating a fact.....
AnswerID: 496814

Follow Up By: Member - Joe T (NT) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 22:52

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 22:52
Bigfish, you could been happy like me, if you had bought shares in B/T a few years ago

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772537

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:10

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:10
ave shares in a couple of Aussie companies Joe. Regardless of shares or not B/T reputation is not something to be prous of. Know of one big company with over 50 vehicles who wont go near em......
FollowupID: 772552

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:40

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:40
I'm with you all the way Boo Boo. The thing I find interesting is that with the never
ending complaints about dealer service issues on this forum, that folk still go to them
for servicing. Why?. It cant be the old warranty furphy, taking your car to a licenced
motor mechanic doesnt void your warranty. You can,of course, get warranty issues
attended by the seller, & servicing elsewhere. It may take a bit of research to find a
suitable private service provider, but they are out there..ask your mates. The other
whinge factor is the cost, & some seem exhorbitant, especially for the higher end of
the market. I can boast to having an honest, competent mechanic, who runs a one
man show, in a tiny country town, & does the usual service on my car/4wd for...
$140/$180..including filter & oil..& not a loose bolt escapes him..tyres checked..
terminals cleaned..the lot...any brand car.

If you think you are getting dudded, take some action, alternatives are out there..

cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 496839

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:00

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:00
oldbaz

My son had a mechanic that use to look after his 9 yr old Corolla.

The price was reasonable and the car never gave him trouble.

I spoke to him last night and he is going back to him.

As for independant country mechanics, I can only agree. Never had a problem when serviced by them.

FollowupID: 772559

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:00

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:00
Morning all.

Approx 20 years ago a guy I had Known and worked with for 30 years tells me the following story about his next door neighbour, who at the time was the Service Manager with a large Melbourne Nissan Dealership. Apparently this person had came home the previous day and rushed over to my work friends house to tell him 'what happened to me today'.

The day in the Nissan service Centre was a normal mundane day until vehicle pickup time.

Customer 'billy' arrives to collect his 18month old vehicle and is given an invoice for $178.75 (created for this post). This covers oil, air & fuel filters and tyre rotation and inspection of brakes when wheels are off, under body when draining oil and engine bay when replacing oil. Nothing else untoward is detected, suspected, or nominated by owner of this 18 month old vehicle.

Weeeeeeell! 'billy' comes unglued after reading the invoice and accuses the Service Centre of doing bugger all to his vehicle as where he had it serviced before they charged him $500 plus and that included a 'special discount' because he lived local.

The aforementioned Service Manager calmly and carefully explained everything to 'billy' who by this time is enraged and having none of the suggestion that he was ripped off before. So the said Service Manager says to 'billy' - I'll go and check with office to make sure this invoice is correct.

He returns and has great joy in informing 'billy' that he is correct and there has been a mistake made. The $178.75 amount was for another vehicle that had had its radiator cleaned, and 'billys' invoice was in fact $658.75.

'billy' gives the Service Manager a big juicy I TOLD YOU SO, pays up and goes on his way a happy chappy.

To this day my work friend and his neighbour still recall this gobsmacking event about the dude who refused to accept and pay what was due, however was happy to get ripped off, thinking he had received a much better service.

DD
AnswerID: 496845

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 19:02

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 19:02
I think you'd have to have a "La la land" address to think that this dealership stuff doesn't often, even routinely, go on. It's alright saying "go back and complain and give them a chance to put it right" - well hello, some of us run businesses and it costs more for us to spend half the morning in some bloody waiting room until Johnny Jobsworth finally pulls his finger out. I long since learned to look around for a reliable, honest mechanic. Not always easy, but worth the effort. I wouldn't give these shysters (....and no, they aren't all dishonest) the time of day.

As for the forum police, the mods on here are alert enough and are well aware of your precious advice - so if you don't like an honest discussion, go elsewhere. This is a forum for discussion.
AnswerID: 496872

Reply By: anglepole - Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:29

Thursday, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:29
I agree with Steve M1, Some of us have better things to do than returning our vehicles for service fixes.

Most dealers charge a hourly rate for a senior mechanic, yet much of the work is done by a trades assistant or apprentice.

Our money is good they should get it right. We should be grateful some of these mechanics are not working on aircraft.
AnswerID: 496901

Sponsored Links