TV <span class="highlight">Antenna</span>

I currently have the old PVC Tee type antenna on my van which is pretty ordinary at times. I don't want to go to the trouble of a Sat dish with the associated 'finding the damn satellite' etc coz we're not real big telly fans anyway. I'm doing some homework on the 'Explorer C3' antenna (~ $260) and would appreciate any comments from those folks who have experience with them. I like it's compact size and the simplicity of just poking it up and pointing it in the general direction. We are radio listeners really but it would be good to get the odd ABC news and footy grand final etc on telly. The explorer C3 is not cheap so I would greatly appreciate any coments on the pros and cons from anyone that has one.
Thanks in advance ................. KP.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 15:37

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 15:37
Hi Wozi

now that the country is heading to Digital TV some of the older aerials will not work very well.
And remember you only get TV where ther is a signal.
The advances in Satellite finders make it so very easy now and the advantage is you get all the signals with the Vast receiver.
Cost is a little more than the C3 you are looking at but a lot better.
And you can get the footy finals anywhere in Aust with it.

just my views anyway

Geoff
AnswerID: 497678

Follow Up By: Riverlander - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 21:53

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 21:53
Hi Guys
I have an old antenna myself and was wondering how we will go with signal once we get a bit remote. I guess it is probably time for an update but I don't quite understand the satellite concept. Does the satellite dish pick up 'free to air' or do I have to pay somewhere along the way? And is there any special requirements or do you just 'plug in'?
Cheers
FollowupID: 773517

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 08:23

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 08:23
Hi Riverlander

Concept is really quite simple.

Point dish at satellite.
connect vast decoder
put signal into tv,

But being practical about it

You are able to purchase the complete setup and just add a tv.
The dish is pretty easy to set up and connections are just standard TV coax and AV connections
With the satellite finders available aligning the dish is a very simple procedure.
And yes the VAST system will give you ALL the Free To Air channels.

Have a talk to someonw who has a setup and see how easy it is.
Systems are available from many places.
Send me a message and I can assist.

Regards

Geoff
FollowupID: 773535

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:26

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:26
From my experience with Sat TV (20+ years), if I were travelling, and wanted TV regularly, then Sat is way to go.

Easy set-up, with finder, and crystal clear reception. It's so good you can see the grass growing during the One-Day cricket matches.

New decoders give 14 or 16 channels of free to air.....what more could you want?

Only downside is occasional poor, or no signal conditions, during thunderstorms, either where you are, or at the re-transmit site. Otherwise, all good,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 773539

Follow Up By: Riverlander - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 20:09

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 20:09
Thanks guys. What sort of money would I be up for? (For a decent satellite system). And where, in SA would be a good place to start shopping? Thanks
FollowupID: 773566

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 22:10

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 22:10
riverlander
message me and i can give you all the details and a breakdown on prices.

regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 773585

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 22:17

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 22:17
Riverlander
message me from my profile here or phone and I am able to assist

regards

Geoff
FollowupID: 773586

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 16:00

Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 16:00
Sorry but the notion that old antennas wont work or will be inferiour with digital TV is absolute rubbish.......they tried to feed that BS to the public when colour came in and they are trying it again.

Any properly built and wired antenna that worked well with analogue TV will work just fine with digital....probably better.
I have an antenna on my roof that was designed back in the B&W days..it works fine on digital.

Poor antennas as in the B&W to colour transition..where poor under the previous technology and will be shown to be poor under the new.

Those of us in the busines always looked at those plastic T antennas as if they where a joke..they where and are.

The best thing you can buy is a good quality compact UHF/ VHF combination antenna.

Matchmaster make 2 specificaly for caravan use....jaycar among others stock them.

I used to carry one as a survey aerial and it was in and out of the van 4, 5, 6 times a day and got thrown off the roof into a bush on a regular basis.

I no longer have a commercial connection.

Caravanners have been suckered on TV for decades.

Sorry good aint cheap and you need to point it in the right direction.

cheers
FollowupID: 773639

Follow Up By: Riverlander - Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 17:26

Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 17:26
Thanks for that Bantam. But I guess those older antennas are not going to pick up satellite signal so not much good if I am 'out the back' away from town?
Just on that subject.... by using satellite, will I be able to pick up all stations in all states? (at the same time) or is there still a 'zone/state' thing?
And one more question... I have two satellite dishes on my roof and neither is being used. Is it possible to adapt one of those and save a few dollars?
FollowupID: 773645

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 17:37

Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 17:37
Riverlander

The vast system is zoned to a state by state link.
And yes you can use preloved foxtel dishes
Will save you a few $$$$$$
All you need ir the vast decoder and have it registered in your name

Regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 773646

Reply By: customline - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 14:57

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 14:57
G'day Wozikev, I am in the same process as you and am seriously looking at the Explorer C3 .I cannot find any negative comments about this antenna .You get a toll free 1800 # to ring if you need help .I also have the T/bar antenna which as you know is almost useless .I would appreciate it if you let me know how it all goes if you decide to buy the C3 or not.
AnswerID: 497733

Sponsored Links