Brake troubles on TOYO FJ60

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:25
ThreadID: 9885 Views:1712 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all

Um, looking 2 get some advice on brake troubles if i can!

the front left disc brake on the '84 cruiser keeps seizing up after minimal usage. It simply wont release & I've got 2 read a Mag for 1/2 an hour on the side of the road until it does release!

A mechanic in town gave it a clean & A looksy ( didnt delve 2 deep tho ) & couldnt find much wrong.

I'm pretty uneducated on these things but I suspect brake fluid blockage? Ive checked around for any noticeable faults ( suspension etc ) but all looks sound.

Anyone else had this problem? Any other ideas?

( ... ive just thought of checking the park brake cable ( not releasing? ) but that only runs to the rear drum brakes doesnt it? ... ill pop under the old betsy & check )

cheers for any responses.

rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 80 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:33

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:33
Gday Rowen,,, Sounds to me like the brake pistons are seizing in the caliper. I think the 60 series has two pistons per caliper,the caliper being the whole assembly that bolts over the disk. The pistons are sealed into the caliper with a square type O ring, the hydraulic pressure of the brake fluid behind the piston applies the pad to the disk. These pistons are a very neat fit and any dirt or corrosion can cause them to stick or not release properly. I think you should have a mechanic have another look at it, hope this is of some help.
AnswerID: 43656

Reply By: Member - Howard- Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:35

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:35
Rowan,
have experienced same thing on cars , each time seizing up was result of rust spots on caliper piston. unfortunately option is get another caliper.
sorry if this is not the reply you were after
regards
howard
AnswerID: 43658

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:23

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:23
Rowen,

Having this problem on left rear of tojo 79 series, and tend to agree with the others that it's a sticky piston.

Did have an earlier model 79 that locked up the front brakes at different times. Turned out that a bolt was worn in master cylinder and a new kit fixed it.

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 43671

Reply By: Rowen - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:55
Thanks for your responses guys.

Um, yeah, that all makes sense.

Just wondering whether can a w/e hack mechanic like myself attack this job? I suspect its a mechanic job right?

anyone know where 2 get good secondhand calipers/ pistons etc or is it worth going the genuine etc?

ta - rowen
AnswerID: 43784

Follow Up By: Nav 80 - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:21
Rowen,,, As a mechanic myself I wont recomend you have a go at this yourself for safety reasons, however the job itself is not to complicated and should not cost big bucks to repair. You could try and get a S/hand caliper but you wont know what condition the pistons are in so my advice is to get yours repaired. All they do is remove the caliper,two bolts and the brake hose,remove the pistons,hone out the cylinders and fit a new kit. The outriger on the caliper may also be seized and need freeing up, good luck with it.
FollowupID: 306062

Sponsored Links