Hyland 2000 Trailer Coupling

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:18
ThreadID: 9907 Views:4692 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have been doing some research on trailer couplings, and came across a previous post mentioning the Hyland 2000. After contacting the manufacturer, Darren, getting a brochure faxed to me, I had a really good chat and Darren was very helpful in explaining the product.

I finished the conversation with Darren very impressed with the coupling, and I am very interested in getting one for my existing trailer.

Could anyone please advise on the pro's or con's of this coupling, and any personal experiences using this coupling.

Thanks
TG065
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:32

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:32
G'day TG065,
I have a Hyland (mechanical over-ride) coupling fitted to my (tandem hard-floor) campertrailer, specified by me when the trailer was made...
As far as I'm concerned, it's the best off-road trailer coupling currently available..
(Others will have different opinions, but that's mine)...
I have not met or spoken to Darren personally, but I know several who have, and by all accounts, he is indeed very helpful, as you have noted...

Pro's... Attaches to std. 50mm ball (these are rated up to 3500kg's), therefore MUCH easier to hook up than poly-bloc (& similar) couplings...
FULL articulation, both lateral (360 deg.) & fore-and-aft, at least as good as any of the "alternatives)... Ability to use std. H/R weight distribution hitch if necessary (though these would limit articulation off-road)... NO Noise, provided that ball/socket clearance is adjusted correctly... Did I mention easier to connect to vehicle ??

Con's.. None that I can think of, except that the ability to connect to any 50mm ball would make the trailer that much easier to "nick", so adequate security measures would need to be taken (necessary in any case in todays' world, I would think)...

I am certainly not considering the one on my trailer for any other...

Regards, Ed. C.Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand............
Not necessarily mechanic!!"
AnswerID: 43785

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:36

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:36
OOPS !!
last sentence should read...

I am not considering SWAPPING for any other...Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand............
Not necessarily mechanic!!"
FollowupID: 306038

Follow Up By: TG065 - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:12

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:12
Hi Ed.C.

Thanks for going into the detail with your response. It has helped give me a concise understanding of your opinion

You have mirrored my thoughts on what could be advantages and disadvantages.

The fact that you won't swap the coupling say's it all.

Thanks Again

TG065
FollowupID: 306043

Reply By: Cobra - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:51

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:51
I have the Hyland on my Kanga camper. No experience with the Treg or Orac but this one seems to be much more user friendly and has the articulation required for off road work. I am very happy with it and cannot think of a reason to change
AnswerID: 43787

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:05

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:05
I have the Treg hitch on my off-road van. While it works very well as far as articulation goes, hooking up can be an absolute pain. I have had to fit a ratchet type jockey wheel so I can drive the A frame across the car hitch to hook up.

Its easy enough to hook up on level bitumen, but wait until the van is on an odd angle in sand. The van is near impossible to move sideways to slide the treg hitch in. And you cannot just back into the hitch even if you could reverse that accurately as the block hangs down slighlty.

Also, unhooking can be difficult if there is any slight load on the hitch it can be difficult, actually near bloody inpossible, to remove the pin. And you virtually always have a load on the pin unless the van is dead level (in the bush!!!).

So, why the treg hitch is vastly superior off-road to a standard ball arrangement, it is not without its difficulties in use. I have not seen the Hyland coupling, but if it solves the hookup issues and maintains the off-road articualtion while being robust, then it appears to be a winner.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 43792

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:03
Also have a Treg on my off-road caravan and echo your comments - it's a real pain to get on and off anywhere other than my level shed or flat caravan park site.

I have looked into the Hyland coupling and would love to get one - unfortunaltely the Treg is welded on under the A-frame and I'm not too sure about what damage/structural weakening may occur having it taken out. So I put up with it and purchased a Maco Mule ratchet-type jockey wheel to help getting connected - it's an okay solution but far from perfect.

Cheers
Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
FollowupID: 306059

Reply By: TG065 - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:38

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:38
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

You all have convinced me that TREG coupling is too much like hard work.

I will definately go for the Hyland.

Thank, once again

TG065
AnswerID: 44011

Reply By: Penguin - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:07
I've recently converted my Jayco to a Hyland coupling and gave it a baptism of fire in the Victorian High Country for 11 days. The only problem I found was that the bottom of the handbrake lever dug in to a very steep rollover bump and bent the bracket up. No handbrake until I bent it back again. Hardly a failing of the coupling, rather my fault for taking the trailer where it really shouldn't have been!

Great bit of gear. Highly recommended.
AnswerID: 44493

Sponsored Links