street navigation to suit <span class="highlight">samsung</span> galaxy 10.1 note

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 01:56
ThreadID: 99234 Views:2659 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone purchased a street navigation system to suit the above.I have just successfully installed oziexplorer and Emma maps so now all I need turn by turn street navigation
Cheers
Exmouth 1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 04:03

Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 04:03
dont they come both with navigon and maps navigation?
AnswerID: 499403

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 06:34

Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 06:34
Navigon comes free on most Samsung Galaxy devices but this device is new and not on the list at Samsung's site. The only way to find out seems to be to play with it. Navigon is a fine gps app and being free on the Samsungs is a bonus.
FollowupID: 775387

Follow Up By: exmouth1 - Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 20:51

Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 20:51
Yep they do come with inbuilt navigation but they require internet access a SIM card to operate and this is no good when you are in remote locations as it chews up money as you use it.
Cheers
Exmouth 1
FollowupID: 775456

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 22:06

Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 22:06
Sorry you are wrong. I use mine in remote places no problem. You have to have the maps on the device if there is no coverage for download. I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out. The gps does use normal satellites as well as 3g when available. The same applies to iphones and ipads.
FollowupID: 775479

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 05:10

Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 05:10
There are many many options!
OSM, iGO, Sygic etc. etc.

A quick one to get you started and free - Search the Google App Store for "CoPilot GPS".

Only 2D but it works perfectly here in NZ. You can download autorouting maps for Australia. Did I say free?

AnswerID: 499404

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:50

Thursday, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:50
Navigon is there along with Google maps and some others. Tom Tom is about to be released for Android and I personally reckon it's the best but it costs around $70 but worth it imo.
AnswerID: 499425

Reply By: Johnhu - Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:44

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:44
Another app to consider is called 'metroview' at $19.80 via the google play store.

It requires you to download its maps/indexes, etc (via a wifi connection) so all maps are pre-loaded on the device. (No 3G connection required).

Anyhow, just another option to think about.

John
AnswerID: 499509

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 16:02

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 16:02
I have looked at Navigon on my Samsung android phone and find it a bit confusing. Does it download maps when you press the "Start Download" button or is that just to download the full app? I note on the Google app store that there are apps for maps for various areas that have a price attached to them? There is a warning that some of the downloads are large so I am a bit reluctant to start something when I don't know how large the download is. Folks who write apps don't seem to be big on documentation.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 499522

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 18:09

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 18:09
Kevin, it's ok to download the stuff if you are connected to a wifi network such as your home internet modem/router providing you are on a reasonable plan. The typical size of a gps map application like Tom Tom, Navigon, Copilot or Sygic is around 1 gigabyte. Most home internet plans allow tens of gigabytes per month included in the charge. The 3g data plan on your phone is more expensive and doesn't include as many gigabytes. Many mobile plans only include 1 gigabyte for the month so you could cap yourself out with the one download if it was done via 3g. Any extra traffic can also be charged by many plans so the bill can grow quickly. If you do it overseas it can be thousands because nothing is included in the plan in that case.
To recap, connect your phone to your home modem via wifi and download through that. If your phone connects to your computer it is also possible to download the program and maps to the computer and transfer them to the phone via itunes or kies depending on the phone brand. Cheers
FollowupID: 775538

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 18:26

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 18:26
Also, in case you don't understand, your phone has 4 different kinds of wireless. It's main wireless function is making and receiving phone calls over the 3g or 4g network. It can also receive internet data through this if your plan supports it. The 2nd wireless function is wifi where it connects to a local wifi device like your home modem or those available at public places like McDonalds. The range of wifi is quite small perhaps 20-30 metres at most on average, enough to cover a house. The 3rd type of wireless is bluetooth and is used to talk to other bluetooth devices such as headsets, computers or external gps receivers. The range for blutooth is smaller again. The last type of "wireless" is the inbuilt gps receiver that receives information from gps satellites. Usually the gps receiver chip and the 3g chip are integrated so to get gps reception you have to get the 3g version or the gps chip is absent. Most phones also get gps information via the 3g phone service to help them get a fix quicker. Getting a fix is no good unless you have a map to display it on so the phone will try and download a map if it doesn't already have one saved on it's memory somewhere. I make sure my phone has all the maps it needs so no downloads to worry about. Sorry if you already knew this. Cheers
FollowupID: 775539

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 18:56

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 at 18:56
Thanks Mikehzz for that lucid description of the communicating abilities of a modern mobile phone. I knew most of it, but not to worry. I am sure that it will be read by many seekers of this kind of information and is now on record for future searchers.

I was just a bit concerned that if I let the download run that I would blow a huge hole in my 8 Gb wireless plan when it still has 2/3 of the billing period to run. I will wait till near the end and use what is left to do the download.

Just for fun I have been using the navigation facilities in Google maps as I drive around town. I am most impressed by its ability. You certainly wouldn't bother to carry a separate GPS with you when travelling outside of Australia with the range of easy to use navigation systems in quite moderately priced phones.

Thanks and cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 775545

Sponsored Links