Digitech Tv <span class="highlight">Antenna</span>

Hi. Is anyone familiar with a Digitech Omni Directional TV Antenna. They are shaped like a mushroom . I think Jcar sell them and cost about $90 .
Any info would be welcome.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosss - Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 11:42

Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 11:42
Forget it, Get yourself a "VAST" satellite setup, so much easier and will work out in the middle of the desert.

Cheers Ross.
AnswerID: 499653

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 17:08

Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 17:08
Just that little bit harder to run them off 12v out there though. You can get a modified 12v one from Satplus I think but they are not cheap. Bob
FollowupID: 775649

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 19:42

Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 19:42
Not from Satplus but Vansat.
In any event you can do it a lot cheaper,as many have done, with a small ciggy plug inverter.
FollowupID: 775652

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 23:57

Sunday, Dec 02, 2012 at 23:57
The fundamental problem with all omnidirectional antennas is that they are omnidirectional........they will have bugger all gain in their own right and they will not reject rear signals......digital TV is great at rejecting multipath...but sooner or later it simply cant cope.

There is no substitute for a good, high gain, directional antenna for normal free to air TV.

The only time omni antennas are realy viable is in moving vehicles where the TV is required to work while moving like boats and busses.

Satelite TV is a whole other question, and an expense and a fiddle some people do not want to be involved with...besides satelite TV will not get you the local programming and news.

cheers

AnswerID: 499700

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 07:47

Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 07:47
I agree about the directional antenna and with most of the country now digital a good antenna is a necessity.

I don't agree about the sat TV comment though. Now days I find that in remoter areas setting up a terrestrialantenna is more fiddly than the sat TV. As for local news, there are dedicated channels for these if you must have them. Also there is really no local programming, unless you mean local adverts and who really wants to watch ads.
FollowupID: 775669

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 12:17

Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 12:17
Not everybody that has a caravan or motor home wants to travel to remote areas.

Most of the major reigonal centres have their own TV transmitters, local news and even the adds can be of interest and benifit to travelers.

BTW a good antenna was always a necessity...and in truth there is no such thing as a "digital" antenna, just like there was no such thing as a colour antenna.

Its just that an inadequate antenna will just look worse on a better techloogy....

when we made the shift to colour the signal flaws became more obvious in colour and where as with analogue, a piss poor antenna would give a piss poor picture...at least it was a picture...with digital you either have a good picture or one that wont lock and a blue screen that comes and goes.

A simple good quality antenna set up should cost arround $200 all said and done...and it will work anywhere there is terestrial transmission available.

cheers
FollowupID: 775692

Follow Up By: Rosss - Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 12:44

Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 12:44
Satellite TV will get your local chanells and news.
FollowupID: 775693

Reply By: faircrackofthewhip - Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 12:18

Monday, Dec 03, 2012 at 12:18
I brought one from jaycar myself and found out by accident when it fell over that it recieves signal better on it's side. Then rigged up mast that flex's to 90 deg.
But you have to rotate the thing to tune your channels.
Absolutely useless in the back blocks where signals are weak but has suprised me on some trips.
cheers
AnswerID: 499716

Sponsored Links