Yagi Directional <span class="highlight">Antenna</span>

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 00:24
ThreadID: 99343 Views:2404 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of installing this Yagi Antenna on a 6.5 metre pole . I have only spoken to one person, in Exmouth WA who reports outstanding success with this antenna, both for internet connection and mobile phone. Has anyone else installed such an antenna and if so are they happy with it and do they have any hints or tips for me in its operation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 08:06

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 08:06
An 850Mhz Yagi will improve reception for sure, I assume you are on telstra if you have reception issues. The higher the gain, the more improvement - to a point, and the more sensitive it is to direction alignment.

A few things to check.
1)Are you using a blue tick phone?
2)Does your phone have an external antenna connection?
3)Do you know which direction the mobile phone tower is?
4)Above about 15db you may have issues with transmission and echoing.
5)'Height is might' for the pole provided it is rock solid stable.

If you have a smart phone you can download signal strength apps to help with the alignment. The 5 bars signal strength is not a good indicator as it is slow and a bit of a fudge.

AnswerID: 499816

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 17:24

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 17:24
Just a quick note regarding point 1) of your things to check list.

NOT all Blue Tick phones are the same.........

I have a particular Blue tick phone and we recenlty got a different Blue tick phone for my wife. It's absolutely useless.

If I have five bars and even without any bars sometimes, I can still get 3G albeit slow.

The one we got for my wife, even if it has 3 bars showing, still tells us it can't get Telstra, and can be used for emergency calls only.

I'll give you one guess where that phone is going.....

Tony
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 775843

Follow Up By: Member - Mally (WA) - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 14:10

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 14:10
Thanks for the helpful info. Will be very helpful.
FollowupID: 775903

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 14:26

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 14:26
Hi Tony

The powers that be make it deliberately hard to directly measure phone reception - so can you tell which is the good and not so good one , as side by side comparisons are a helpful guide.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 775907

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 15:34

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 15:34
Robin, if you have an iphone or Android, there are many free apps that you can get that bypass all the nice user interfaces of the phones and tell you the RSSI or signal strength in dbM ( the less negative the better), some even plot graphs.

This one is free for Android and shows the RSSI ( signal strength)

Android signal strength app
FollowupID: 775910

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 16:47

Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 16:47
Thanks Boobook - now if only we could find somewhere that lists there RF performance - side by side
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 775961

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 18:28

Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 18:28
Robin,

The model phones I'm referring to are both supplied to me by Telstra

The one that gets good/reasonable (we all wish for better still) reception is a Sony Ericsson CEDAR

The ....CRAP.... one we bought for my wife expecting it to get reception as well, being a Blue Tick phone is an Telstra T95

As a side note, when we were in Tassie earliy on this year, I was also looking into an antenna system to try to get some reception from a Telstra Mobile broadband stick that I had borrowed for my trip. This was getting about the same reception as the Telstra T 95. When I was talking to the very helpful (?) young bloke in Launceston, and explained was getting a reasonable reception from the SE Cedar, he suggested that I just place the sim card from the broadband stick into that phone.

This was a bit awkward, swapping sims as and when needed, so looked around every time we got neara phone shop and luckily managed to pick up another SE, which they were clearing out, as I think they were a runnout model.

Best part of this was the price, as they only wanted $29.00 for it.

Way cheaper than the antenna I was looking at and the a phone cradle to be able to connect.
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 775965

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:01

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:01
What yagi antenna do you have? I am interested in doing the same.
AnswerID: 499831

Follow Up By: Member - Mally (WA) - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 14:08

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 14:08
We have Yagi antenna model DB 800-16-14-C frequency 824-896 MHZ Gain dBi. Our son bought it for us for $170. We hope it is going to prove worthwhile.
FollowupID: 775901

Sponsored Links