Choice of crankcase oil for Jackeroo T/D 2002 model

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:38
ThreadID: 9945 Views:1640 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, I know you have to use the correct viscosity ie 5w 30, 40 or 50 or starting problems can be experienced among other things. But what is the concensus of opinion as to the brand. I'm just a little cynical / sceptical of the claims made and I'm not at all sure that because an oil is "race proven" that it is any good for a diesel which is not pulled down and rebuilt between " races". My 3 local Holden dealers all give me different stories... Mobil 1...Mobil delvac 1 & Shell Rimula Ultra.. and charge like its the last 7.5 litres of oil on earth! Have any other Jackeroo afficianados got any advice?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Foxer - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:53

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:53
Rick
I was using Penzoil in our 99 Jackaroo. That was costing a fortune for each oil change and the filters were $$$. Have tried all the oils you mention plus others,Castrol Valvoline ect ect. Still had starting problems so I sold it. Its went really well,very nice to drive and capable off road, but cost a furtune to service and repair. Very high tec = $.
Foxer
AnswerID: 43953

Reply By: Herve - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:50

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:50
Indeed.....I reckon high tek is high $ - I've been lucky with the 99TD SE but I worry about being burnt financially one day ...reckon I ought to have a troopy with the 1HZ - is that the simplest option ? Re the oils...Fact one: Oil sellers will tell you what suits them..its that simple, that fundamental. Fact two: It is not possible for we plebs to determine which is the best oil....that takes scientific analysis and field trials (I'm sure that most resellers know bugger all too). What to do: You have to choose a brand that has a reputation that the vendor wants to protect, and then go to their technical advisors (customer hotline) and ask them what to use. I can see no other way. It is a gamble at best.
I choose Castrol - their technical advisory people will even ring you back direct. I change the oil (Magnatec) at 5000, the main filter at 5000 and the minor filter at 10000. You can use Ryco filters now, at a good saving. "This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 44014

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:56

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:56
Great minds think alike... I did indeed have a long deep & meaniful chat with Castrol today. It works out that they have had some experience with these hi tech turbo diesels and have a product formulated for them "soft tech 5w30" costs $158 /20ltrs synthetic oil warranted for10000km change intervals. A lot cheaper than mobil1 or shell rimula ultra. I might try it. I use genuine filters half price from Jackeroo world order over the net.
FollowupID: 306257

Reply By: Glenos - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:34

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:34
I had a D&M with Mobil and castrol lube lines about 2 months ago, I also roped in Holden (Hobart, Glenorchy-Tas, Ferntree Gully-Vic). The outcom was:

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 ($200/20L), 10,000k interval. As an aside penrite have a tech bulletin from Holden on their website that lists recommended oils. I say if you live in southern Aus use the thinner oils.

The next option was castol softec. I went with delvac cos it is a diesel oil, lower ash and sulphur content. (I am a chemist and used to supervise a coke ovens lab, I know a little bit about S and Ash, they hate it in their coke.)

I have done one change with Delvac 1 and plan another soon, it takes 3 to properly flush other crap from the system, do a search on this forum there is hours of interesting reading about starting and oil choice.

Glenos
AnswerID: 44037

Sponsored Links