Wiring up Driving Lights in Jackaroo

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:41
ThreadID: 9946 Views:8666 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hoping someone can put me in the right direction,normally I can wire up these easily,but at the moment the Jack has me stumped!.I'm wanting to wire these up when I put the High beam on,and install a switch so I can isolate them as well.The plan is via a relay,but the power to the light has me.Any Jack owners help ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Foxer - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:56

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:56
Jack
at the back of your headlights!
Foxer
AnswerID: 43954

Reply By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:00

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:00
Haahaa,tried that, but trying to work out what terminal on the 3 pin plug,wired them up teh other day,and thought I had it,but for soem strange reason,it shorted out the fuse.Not sure about a - or a + trigger?
AnswerID: 43955

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:13

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:13
You don't have a multimeter or one of those 12v circuit tester things with a light bulb in it. If you got a small 12v bulb solder a couple of wires to it and probe the connectorI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 306172

Reply By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:17

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:17
Thanks Ray,have tried it with teh multimeter,seems that I have found the H/beam wire,and when connected to teh relay and put on h/beam the driving lights came on OK,however when I turned teh lights off I burnt out the fuse!.I may have stuffed up here,so will recheck everything tonight,I was wondering if there was something unusual with Jackaroo wiring??
AnswerID: 43957

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:32

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:32
Oh yes Jack... been there done that.. The wiring is very touchy and simple things just dont work. If you hunt around you may find that there is provision there for driving lights...what I had to do was cheat... I put in a totally seperate circuit for my driving lamps & just hope that a random roadside rego check isn't done.....I tried to wire up via the high beam to the driving light relay.. i'm quite meticulous having had some expensive experiences..... still managed to blow fuses and the big expensive ones that only Holden can supply....Mate, there are all sorts of current sensors & hell knows what in the wiring loom.... but perservere cause Holden told me that it would cost big time to fit a driving light loom....
FollowupID: 306174

Follow Up By: Dragan - Terrano - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:14

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:14
Road side check? For what mate? Can't you put your own driving lamps on or it has to be done by car electrician who will ask for load of money to hook up 4 wires?
FollowupID: 306179

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:15

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:15
In Canberra we have a team of dedicated knowalls that wander around carparks and issue defect notices for the most stupid reasons. These people are highly paid govt employees and You wouldnt mind if they were looking for serious safety concerns. They seem to spend a lot of time issuing defects for things like"unknown" or "unsafe" driving light brackets, blinkers not being the "aproved" shade of yellow and so on. If your car stands out at all it is targeted... I've had mine checked 4 times last year...left little calling card under the wipers saying that it had passed a "roadworthiness test" how the expletive deleted they could tell that without gaining admission to the interior to check brakes etc is anyones guess. I'v frankly had a gut full of it...on one occasion I was stopped at the tip and asked to produce trailer rego docs which I didnt have with me so I had to queue the next day at the registry and was told that as I had repainted the trailer it had to undergo a full rego check.....the mind at times boggles at the things our local beaureaucrats dream up.
FollowupID: 306213

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:11

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:11
Geez Rick i thought NSW was badRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306226

Reply By: geoff - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:34

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:34
Hi WhisperingJack I'll have a look at the way my jack is wired with lights and let you know

Regards geoff
AnswerID: 43960

Follow Up By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:38

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:38
Thanks Guys,will await your response Geoff,thanks Rick,wondered if it was strange!
FollowupID: 306175

Reply By: New Jack - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:41

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 13:41
Hi there

I had the same fun on my 98 Jack. I'm a electrician by trade so out came the multi meter. You will find that the tricky little buggers who "designed" this circuit had the strange idea of using a relay (normal) but decided to switch the negative supply, positive is the normal way of doing things. So my spot light switch picks up this return negative from the high beam control (stem) it picks this up in the base of the main fuse box (tThrough the spotty switch) then returns to an addition relay I installed, this relay has a positve connected directly to one side of the activating coil & relies on the negavive return from the spot light switch to turn on to close the circuit to the spotties.

Dont forget to fuse the the relays appropriately and use larger supply cables for both + & - wires, the existing cables are pathetic & you will suffer big voltage drop if you rely on them for carrying additional load.

If you need more info I could have a look under my bonnet to refresh my memory of what I did
Use a mutimeter if you have one, it'll save you some grief & maybe a lot of bucks

This is general advice but all it's up to you to verify the correct cables & polarity of any work you do.

Hope this helps

Cheers
AnswerID: 43961

Follow Up By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:17

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:17
Thanks NewJack,yeb tricky little buggers, I'll give it a go this weekend,and let you know.
Hey Dragan , I think he means Random Roadworthy check!,
FollowupID: 306180

Reply By: Dragan - Terrano - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 15:17

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 15:17
Well mate roadworty or else, bugger it if I'm gonna give it to some money eater to hook up 4 wires on mine terrano.
I' m in to electronics, so car electrics are pretty simple to me. Don't know much about specific systems in 4WDs (like what colour is fuel level sender unit wire in someone's '86 hilux, or what's orange wire that is hanging out of someone's jackaroo dizzy and that kinda stuff) but general questions, fork them out. I'll be posting lot of questions here, since I'm new to 4WD scene, so I want to give something in return!
To wire driving lights on to 4wd or any car you can do it in many different ways, depends what you want to do with them! Eg. you want them on with high beam, or you want them on when ever you want to, independent of any other lights. One thing for sure, bloke who wrote about big wires is 120% right! Wires are always better 4 times over rated that "I reckon it's gonna work" type of rating! After all it only 12 volts DC and bunch of switching!!!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 43976

Follow Up By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 15:24

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 15:24
Agree with Ya there Dragan,I've never had probs before,I'm a Electronics Tech,and have farted around with cars for years, but this bugger stumped me, hence why I thought I'd get some fellow Jackaroo drivers advice and see if they have had probs! Bugger paying someone to do something I can do,but this little bouger has got me,one thing I want to do is wire up a heavier loom for teh lights as teh factory loom looks very underrated,and the lights are just crap at night!
Well look at getting a GMH CD Service Manual to help out with other bits for teh car,later on.I've got a VT to VX one and it's brilliant!
FollowupID: 306191

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:18

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:18
Jackeroo world has the service manuals on CD for $240.....Id hate to think what Holden want...
FollowupID: 306215

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:18

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:18
good luck, when i wanted themlights to go off with the ignition on the patrol it took 5 relays as each light high & low beam have their own circuit + parkers. driving lights were easy done the usual way.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 44008

Reply By: Herve - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:40

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:40
Jack - jezd had a look at mine (Lightforces on the 99TD SE Jack).... I played it dead simple...the only way I know... continuous rated relay mounted high in a safe place....main supply to that relay is direct from the battery, with suitable inline fuse near the battery. Earth the relay to the chassis. Earth the lights direct to the battery. The high beam signal is taken off the loom just behind the actual lamp. Can't quite see the wire color ... I poke through the insulation and just use a test lamp until I have the HB supply wire. That wire is then patched through to a switch on the console and back to the relay signal terminal. Works for me. BOL."This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 44012

Reply By: Glenos - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:25

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:25
I have a wiring diagram from a russian web site, can't remember the url. post an email address and I'll send it to you. I have had a look at my 98 Jack and it has the wires already there for the Monterey driving lights that go at the bottom of the bumper. The monterey lights are only 55W so power might be a problem they are pretty small. You might be able to chase them back and replace with man sized wire.

Some of the yank forums also talk about getting a switch from dealer that fits into an existing place on the dash, there is a conector for it behind dash, near the dash dimmer switch.

Hope this helps

Glenos
AnswerID: 44034

Follow Up By: WhisperingJack - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:59

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:59
Thanks Glenos,e-mail
thunder3@optusnet.com.au
FollowupID: 306310

Follow Up By: WhisperingJack - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:40

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:40
Thanks Glenos,just printed it,now it makes sense,will wire the buggers up at let you know.
FollowupID: 306333

Follow Up By: New Jack - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:36

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:36
Glenos

I would be very appreciative is I could have a copy of that Russian wiring diagram , I hope this isn't one of those weird "off shore rip offs" schemes, I don't want to part with my last 5 bucks. lol

I have had much fun with the Jack & it's weird wiring, especially after my LPG conversion! My 83 model was so simple, just put a new donk in every 120,000 km (If yourlucky) Bloody good vehicle!!
FollowupID: 306409

Follow Up By: Glenos - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:30

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:30
New Jack,
This is not an offshore scam except for the fact that I am in Tassie and I will happily take your last $5. lol.

As I said above I can't find/remember the url that I downloaded the file from. What I have got is a zip file of 1997 Trooper Rodeo wiring diagrams 100 in total. The zip is 1.5Mb.

The diagrams have http://www.diakom.ru on them but I can't find the actual page, its all in russian.

These pages might be useful:
http://www.4x4club.ru/manual.php
http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/isuzu.html

Is there a site I can ftp the zip to, or else I'll email specific files, the lights wiring is the only one I have unzipped.

Glenos
FollowupID: 306425

Reply By: sensei - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:54

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:54
Agree with new Jack, Holden have switched the earth on their vehicles for years. They have learnt that there is far less volt drop on the initial switch on of the appliance (lights, fans, A/C etc)
I have always wired extra items in my cars this way (switching the earth) for quite some time, it is a pain due to extra length in cable required but worth it in my opinion.
AnswerID: 44042

Reply By: WhisperingJack - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:34

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:34
Well Bugger me,I've have a long last got them wired up!!
Worked out what I was doing wrong,after rechecking the wiring loom diagram I got from Glenos!.And boy do they make a difference over the standard ones,has anyone wired up the standard headlights with a heavier wire loom and relays?
AnswerID: 45945

Sponsored Links