4wd track makes a fire break

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:09
ThreadID: 9949 Views:1612 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
Last year a fire started within the Lorne Angahook National Park. I took photos from outside the park of blackened forest.
The fire covered a large area but was contained by a perimiter road and an old 4wd track that started at the top of the hill and ran down south toward the sea,down heart of the park.
The fire was clearly contained and stopped at edge of this 4wd track. I was able to stand on my roof rack and record a blackened forest on the right side of the picture and green forest on left with the track in the middle running off down the hill into the distance.
If the fire had of jumped this track it was only a short distance to many homes that are in thick bush throughout Anglsea.
To me this showed that the debate on keeping tracks open for fire prevention had to be right.
I emailed the wilderness society and got a reply, but when I presented the detail above and asked for there comments, if they believed my assumption was wrong, I got no reply.I again respectfully asked them to please reply, but they have not.
Maybe the facts are too close to real truth that 4wd tracks kept open do stop fires from spreading.
Regards
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:36

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:36
Wouldn't have made much difference here in Canberra. Heck, the fires jumped a 4 lane major Road.
AnswerID: 43972

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:17

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:17
But Flappan...had it been a 4 lane 4WD track the fire would have been thwarted.If you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 306229

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 01:45

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 01:45
Hi,

Youll find that the fire agency or national sparks would have put a controlled back burn for it to be this distinctive from one side to another. A track with mineral earth is ideal for this type of situation. Be impossibble for a fire to burn up to one of the track if it was running towards this track.Fraser .... Here we come
AnswerID: 44061

Follow Up By: phil - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:22

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:22
I agree. Sounds exactly like a back burn where you have enough people (you hope) to make sure it does not get on the wrong side of the road.
FollowupID: 306435

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:12
NPWS partake in remote area fire fighting techniques which normally include dry fire fighting techniques. Old logging tracks, rock ledges and rackhoe lines(racked line devoid of organic matter), streams etc are used to backburn off - done in the cooler hours - some times with helicopter water bomber back up or if you can get it there 4WD striker units. Often don't hear this either- is that the NPWS are generally all trained in remote fire fighting where they get winched in by helicopter - the Rural fire service is starting to get involved with the helicopter remote fire fighting aswell now (being trained by NPWS helicopter crews). No one hears about these NPWS guys and gals as they are paid. These crews are the ones that chase the lightning strikes in the middle of no where. I have also seen trail bike tracks and walking tracks used to stop fires as it is all part of dry fire fighting techniques. Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 44516

Sponsored Links