Buying Prado at auction

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 19:07
ThreadID: 9958 Views:5235 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently moved to Darwin and will be here for at least the next couple of years. Currently I drive a Nissan X-Trail and it is an excellent vehicle, however I intend to do some more serious 4WDing and I am considering purchasing a '01-'02 model Prado at the local auctions. Specifically an ex-govt turbo diesel with aircon, bullbar, tow bar and snorkel with 80-100k on the clock. Can anyone provide me with an estimate of what price such a veh will sell for at auction? Do you have any advice for buying at auctions?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenos - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:48

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:48
My advice Caveat Emptor.

I bought my jackaroo at Fowles in Melb in July, I was astounded by the prices that people were paying for Prado's that you have described, at and even above retail!

They were out of my price league so I didn't look at them before the auction, I know thw price was high cos I had both the Redbook and Glasses guide in my pocket.

Tips for buying at auctions, remain calm, stick to your limit.

have a look at www.redbook.com.au they have prices and info, their prices do seem a little low comapared to glasses guide. I still have a reasonably current glasses guide at my folks, I'll get my little brother to look up the price and post it later.

Glenos
AnswerID: 44041

Follow Up By: Meggs - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:45

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:45
In addition to Glenos comments get one that still has some manufacturers warranty and thoroughly check the log book. I bought a hilux at a Qfleet auction in QLD and of the three presented for sale only one had the log book totally filled in with the other two having no entry after the 1000k service. I went to a couple of auctions before I bought the vehicle I was after. I went to the Brisbane Qfleet auctions and the prices people were paying were way too high so I ended up getting one much cheaper from a country auction so maybe you should look further afield than the capital city for a better price. Another thing I found is that the vehicles are driven to just above the point of a major service without having the major service done so you have to factor this service in to the price. Go to the auction the day before if possible and don't be afraid to get dirty looking over the vehicle but check the log books first as it may save you some unnecessary work.
FollowupID: 306319

Reply By: prado95 - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:18

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:18
Toyota vehicles are almost always more expensive than a 'similar' other brand. Theres a reason. They last longer, are more reliable (how many FJ40's are there versus the patrol of similar vintage??) - specially if they get some decent usage.

If the car has been off road its not uncommon to see some minor dents to the guards under the fuel tanks. Unless that are substancial dents the fuel tank is not likely to have substained more than superficial damage.

On the Prado specifically check for modifications relating to the quality of lift (impacts front shock bottom rubbers & jack shaft angles), otherwise just the standard 4wd things.

AnswerID: 44097

Reply By: Glenos - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:43

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:43
ok the gxl is:
dt4cyl, 2001 model.
trade price: $34,000
trade low price: $29100

rv is:
4cyl, 2001 model.
trade pirce: $27,000
trade low: $23,100

OK landcruiser prado grande (4x4) 4d wagon.
it's turbo diesel 4 cyl
and the trade price is $46,400
and trade low is $39,200

Sorry about the formatting its from MSN message, thiese prices are Oct 03 Glasses guide.

Hope it helps

Glenos
AnswerID: 44100

Follow Up By: Glenos - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 20:21

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 20:21
Addendum:
The RV price above is for Petrol NOT Diesel. and is based on the vehicle done 49k km.

The diesels are based on 60k km, the car dealers make a deduction for higher km. Without the guide infront of me I can't tell you the deduction.

I think the high price for the Prado's reflects their populatity. I got my Jackaroo in Good condition for low wholesale price based on the glasses guide. It's a bit older and not as well marketted as the prado's that were being sold the same day.

Glenos
FollowupID: 306380

Reply By: Escapee - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 18:04

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 18:04
Thanks for the replies fellas.

According to the auction website all the Prados come with service books so I'll certainly look at them first. I attended the auctions at Melbourne too and I agree the prices the Prados were going for were high, however the mileage on them, given their age, were approximately half or less than any I have seen up here in Darwin. As my mechanical knowledge is not real flash I'll look into getting a mechanic to inspect the vehicle the day prior to auction. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers
AnswerID: 44132

Sponsored Links