Trailer for Tent

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 11:30
ThreadID: 99719 Views:3972 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, we have just purchased a Jet Tent F25DX from OzTent (the biggest one they have):

http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/Product/Camping-Gear/Tents/Jet-Tent2/Jet-Tent-F25DX

This tent is very new to the market and is Jet Tents latest offering. It's so new in fact that it hasn't even been added to the Jet Tent website yet. It's a three room, high speed setup, similar to the Blackwolf Turbo Lite Twin. We found the Jet Tent a better made product, more ventilation and better material.

Anyway, I'm getting slightly off topic in my own thread lol. Basically, being a family of 5, we are looking to purchase a trailer so we can carry the tent and other bits and pieces (fridges, eskies, tables, kayaks etc) when we go camping. We won't be doing much offroad but there may be an occasional dirt road here and there. We are looking to spend $1500 max! I don't even know what to look for although I'll be scouring eBay/gumtree in the hope I can get a bargain. Also, will need electric brakes and probably looking around the 7x4 size range.

Where do I start and can anyone lend me a hand on what to look for in a good trailer in our price range? Thanks so much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:20
For $1500 you should not have a problem finding a new basic trailer, what will make the price increase is the amount of custom work the trailer may need to suit your application (modifications to carry kayaks and mountings for all other gear).

I would look at a 7x5 instead of a 7x4.

I doubt you will need trailer brakes as the load carried would be quite low...... if you do go trailer brakes don't forget you will need to spend around $600 for a brake controller and fitting.

With trailers you pay for what you get and most cheapish ones are built to a price using low quality material and bad manufacturing practices.

AnswerID: 501384

Reply By: gordon_adel - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:19

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:19
We use a pod trailer.Love it. Store our blackwolf turbo and all other accessories in it. We can, at a moments notice just hitch it up and take off. I'll see if I can find a pic to post for you. It's quite rugged and we've had it all over the place, tracks and bitumen.
AnswerID: 501389

Follow Up By: gordon_adel - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:26

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:26
Let's see if this works...
FollowupID: 777501

Follow Up By: Agent009 - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:28

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:28
Wow, pod trailer looks amazing!

I just watched the video on the pod trailer website...it certainly ticks all our boxes!

Do you mind if I ask how much one of these costs?

FollowupID: 777502

Follow Up By: gordon_adel - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 17:23
They are definitely expensive. We put a few extra on ours which brought the price up. You can get the basic model for around 3K and then depending on what else you ask for it'll just be more $$$.

With that said, we just love it and it definitely ticked all our boxes. Not saying there aren't alternatives or anything, but for us it fit just right.
FollowupID: 777508

Follow Up By: Member - KYLE S - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 17:23
http://www.podtrailer.com/pricing.html

Thats the trailer price site above.

FollowupID: 777509

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 16:33
Suggest you might find a "Road and Track" camper trailer suitable. They are a fully fibreglass (approx 7'x5') trailer with a good rugged suspension. No provision for sleeping in them, but the top consists of two gullwing style lids. One side contains a kitchen (3 way fridge, 2 burner stove, storage, sink with water tank under floor), and the other side is simply storage. They haven't been made for years so far as I know, but occasionally come up on ebay and might fit inside your budget. (There was one passed in recently click here . This one had an attachable tent plus a boat and boat rack on top - most are simply a trailer with attachable tent.)

We have one and it will go anywhere our Troopy will lead it. Light (less than 350kg empty), strong and dustproof. Ours can be seen here. Click on the last photo.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 501390

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 12:41

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 12:41
Ok lets have a bit of a reality check here.

you have $1500 to spend.......if you where buying new and retail a good electric brake axle will cost you that.

If ya only carying a bit of camping gear and you are not "serious off roading" you do not need an off road trailer.

As long as the trailer has at least 14 inch wheels and is "sprung over"..axle under the springs....... you will take that a great many places no problem.
If the trailer is not spring over, doing this is a trivial modification.

Keep the trailer light, short and narrow, it will present less problems when you do a small amount off off road.

A respectable small box trailer will weigh less than 200Kg......my smallest trailer weighs less than 100Kg.

You can legally tow 750Kg with most 4wds, SUVs and larger station waggons without brakes.

If you are smart you will keep it down to 400 to 500Kg, and towing will be uneventfull with a little care.

Travel light and a simple small box trailer will serve you well.

Frankly any australian faminly that does not own a handly box trailer in my opinion is disadvantaged.

Keep it clean, keep it painted and never, never let anybody leave rubbsh in it and it will out last many family cars.

cheers
AnswerID: 501448

Sponsored Links