new waeco cfx fridges

looking at the special on the new cfx 50 fridges in anaconda.. we presently own a 60 ltr trailblazer which we have had for 21 years...its been great...but now with a new hilux purchased...we are looking a whole new set up for living the nomadic life in the next 14 months...it was a big debate for us back then and now it is again..what fridge do we get...ours was better rated than an engel back then...now the choices are bigger and longativity is on our wish list your comments again are helpful...thanks ross and chris..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ross & chris - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 12:38

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 12:38
sorry i forgot to mention it was a waeco...i still have to get my head around the plastic idea...when our trailblazer is all metal and not a good looker.but a purpose built fridge. thanks chris and ross
AnswerID: 501376

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:05

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:05
How many wheelie bins do you see damaged from day to day use...... same material.

Plastics are far superior for manufacturing then steel or aluminium...... constant thickness, no floors and no weaknesses when done right.
FollowupID: 777486

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 09:43

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 09:43
Nice disclaimer ..... "when done right"
How many plastic water tanks fail?
Plenty!
FollowupID: 777673

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 14:31
ross & chris,
It would be hard to beat the Trailblazer for strength, reliability and performance.
Have you thought about having it refurbished by Norcoast Refrigeration (Trailblazer)? this is a service they offer and maybe a good option if you are still happy with it.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 501385

Follow Up By: Member - Jim - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 18:28
I agree with Chris and Debi,

Whilst I don't personally own a trailblazer, it would be a better fridge after a refurbishment than many of the new ones, and cheaper.

Cheers,
Jim
FollowupID: 777516

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 08:02
Ross and Chris, given that the cfx range has only been on the market for a few months, and is a completely new design that doesn't use a Danfoss compressor, I really doubt that anyone can offer you anything other than personal bias on it's longevity. Waeco must have changed the compressor because it is cheaper, more reliable, uses less current or some combination in between. I'll go for cheaper given the flood of cheap fridges lately however that may or may not be a bad thing.

I had an old CF50 which was quite good. But given that the jury is out on the new one I would go for something with a track record in your situation given your travel intentions.
AnswerID: 501430

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 22:51

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 22:51
Waeco have designed own compressor as Danfos is now built in china.
Waeco rep does not believe new compressor is a touch on the old Danfos.
I have an 18 year old Danfos in a Waeco still going perfectly.
BW.....
FollowupID: 777639

Reply By: troopy 47 - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 14:46
We went with the auto fridge eutectic find it great and power consumption a lot better than Waeco and engel we have had in the past, not cheap but we think it is well worth it.
AnswerID: 501455

Reply By: Member - ross & chris - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:00

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:00
thank you one and all for your thoughts...but we decided to buy the 50ltr waeco cfx fridge as we got it for $1039 and because.... for us lightness is a big thing ...we love the trailblazer but it is heavy.and robust..... and the weigh tand size of all the things we need to carry living on the road is paramount...as is space....there is nothing wrong with our trailblazer...it will go forever we reckon...but some of the new fridges freeze better than ours now.... and quicker....new hilux new everything....we will sell the trailblazer...happy travels everyone...ross and chris
AnswerID: 501624

Sponsored Links