Dual batteries, Engel,

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 15:34
ThreadID: 9974 Views:2137 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently inherited a MRFT series 29L Engel fridge with a fridge insulation bag. I am considering getting an auto electrician to install a dual battery setup with automatic batter isolation in my little 1990 Ford Laser wagon(I'm a mere 4WD'er wannabe). I'm looking at doing my 3rd round Oz trip in this car, the first two were without any refrigeration what so ever (tight budget). I'm not prepared to spend extra $$$ on generators, solar panels etc for a cold beer, many may disagree with my mantra. If I respect the needs of the fridge e.g park in shade, well ventilated, leave lid closed will I be able to run the fridge (no other appliances) for about 3 days without running the engine in warm conditions, about 25-30 degrees max temp? What Ah battery would I need? What other variables do I need to consider?
How many driving hours would it take to recharge from reasonably flat?
Or should I sell it and buy a 3 way gas fridge?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 16:59

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 16:59
You would flatten your battery within the day. All these fridges draw between 2-3 amps so if you only have a 40amp battery then you can work out what I mean.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 44123

Reply By: ThePublican - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 17:46

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 17:46
Only MY personal opinion, but your wasting money trying to set up the laser to run the fridge,,,, if round Brisbane have an older chescold 3 way that MIGHT suit your needs..
AnswerID: 44131

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:39

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:39
"1990 Ford Laser wagon(I'm a mere 4WD'er wannabe). I'm looking at doing my 3rd round Oz trip in this car,"

I'm VERY Impressed! How many klms, how many rebuilds? Thats probably more than 90% of cars on the forum have done - Mine included (while Ive owned it)..

Running fridge for 3 days without running car wont happen.

It cost you $0.00 for the fridge, so investing some coin in the car could be good for you... maybe a triple battery setup! Its been done before, will be done again.. But then if youve done it before without one, and were happy, maybe sell the fridge cheap to me and drink warm beer with the proceeds! ;)

How many hrs of driving will it tae to recharge FULLY? 5 hours, also depends on other things running like lights, radios etc..
AnswerID: 44169

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:54

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:54
I can run my 68 litre evakool for 3 days (2 nights) off my 110 Ah AGM battery and still be within the safe working limits of the battery.

But at 30 kgs for the battery might be a bit much for a poor laser to carry :)
FollowupID: 306406

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:19

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:19
LOL,

Look what the Mighty Laser has been through so far, I th|nk |t would Sh|t it in!
FollowupID: 306408

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:27

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:27
Yeah, it's a mighty FordI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306431

Follow Up By: lukeskywalker - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:16

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:16
Hey Truckster thanks for your reply,
370,000kms, no rebuilds well not since I've owned it anyhow, my mechanic is both suprised and salivating at the inevitable rebuild, he likes the sound of the pinging. The car has been crashed into twice, both rear end damage, once parked the other stationary at the lights, both times the other party at fault, cash payout twice, my wrecker fixed it at a fraction of the insurance payout both times. This car is making me money!!
The third trip is still a pipedream, "have fridge should travel" is my motto at the moment! I probrably wasn't quite accurate with the 2x round Oz. First time I didn't go to Queensland second time I didn't go to W.A but otherwise all mainland states inc N.Tincluding to the top of Cape Leveque on the Dampier Peninsula, "Go Laser Go". The car just won't stop, well the last time it stopped in a year and half was when I plugged the Engel into the main battery(the only battery) and flattened it, that was an Engel learning curve, but roll start her and she's back in action.
It looks like all the feedback is pointing to me selling the Engel and buying a 3 way fridge.
FollowupID: 306470

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:27

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:27
you'd probably get better value out of a sealed battery (AGM or Gel) in the boot, as these batteries can handle deeper discharge than wet batteries. They don't like heat so much, so the engine isn't the best spot for them.

BUT you'd need to go for a fancy independent charge controller as it's not good for AGM/Gel batteries to be wired in parallel to wet cell batteries.

Powerdive (in SE Qld) sell 98AH AGM in a N70 size.

My 110Ah AGM for my camper trailer is about 30kg
AnswerID: 44179

Reply By: PETER - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:00

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:00
save money - buy a thumper - connect to fridge and continuous charge from the car . works for me regards peter
AnswerID: 44185

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:46

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:46
Didn't know you could get a 100 Ah thumper?
FollowupID: 306433

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:11

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:11
I will second that. even a super cheap battery pack (or 2) would do for overnight. If u were near power, plug it in, and it also can go in the tent with its built in light and tyre pump :-)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 306443

Reply By: Diesel1 - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:28

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:28
I wouldn't have thought you could actually fit an Engel into a Laser, but then I,ve never really looked at one. If it hasn't got a Landcruiser badge on it then it is not worth looking at.

Diesel1
AnswerID: 44190

Reply By: Member - Frank - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 13:31

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 13:31
For where you can go sell it and buy ice

I sure truckster will send you a cuple of blocks for it

frank

ps or keep it for when you get a rush of blood and get 4 wheelsCBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 44200

Reply By: phil - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:04

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:04
The situation is not as bad as painted by the respondents!
I have a 15l Engel, one of the older yellow models. I find that in cooler weather, around 20C, the average current draw is only about 0.7amp at the warmest setting. which is about 4 degrees C in the fridge. If the night is not hot you can turn the fridge off, which is what we do because it is noisy when reght next to your head. I try to keep the fridge with as much in it as possible and cool this down while driving. This helps overnight.
I have camped 2 nights and nearly 2 full days and used much less than half the charge in my 75AH vehicle battery by turning off at night.
The 29 litre fridge may use a little more than my baby, but I have no extra insulation.
With care you should use no more than 25AH/day even running at night. This means a safe 2 full days on a 75AH battery which is still a reasonable size and weight. 3 days becomes more of a problem
The easiest device I have seen for isolating the auxillary battery is something called VCR, "voltage controlled relay", available from Battery World here in Armidale. I think around $45. Should be at ather outlets also. It is, as the name suggests, a high current relay which connects the 2 batteries when the voltage of the main battery reaches about 13.4v and disconnects at 12.6v.
Deep discharge batteries take longer to charge than cranking type batteries when connected in parallel with the vehicle battery. Don't count on getting more than 80% of full charge into a battery unless on a really long drive. That last 20% is slow because the battery does not accept much current once the bulk charge is in unless the voltage is higher than the 14.2 v which most manufacturers set the system to regulate to. Older vehicles may be set even lower.
Hope this rambling helps. Phil
AnswerID: 44206

Follow Up By: lukeskywalker - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:26

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:26
Hey Phil,
Thanks for your detailed reply to my question, with your Ah figures in mind it would be at least a 120Ah battery to suit my minimum needs. I better go and see what one looks like, how much$$$ and how bloody heavy it would be. I can't help but think that a 3 way fridge is going to be better suited for my more sedentary camping style. Anyhow I'll be more informed when I next talk to the auto electrician, thanks again,
Luke
FollowupID: 306471

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:23

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:23
gee does it get as cold as 20 degrees down south in winter - bugger that - think I'll stay up here - anything below 25 degrees requires a heater
AnswerID: 44220

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:55

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:55
Blimey, think I'll stay down here. Above 25 and I'm thinking about turning on the air conI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306449

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:15

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:15
Lukeskywalker
remember that you can't run the 3 way fridge on gas *inside the car*, a 'laser' is still a car? ...... you will have to remove it each time you want to run it on gas.

However, if you are doing a quick drive around Ozz and not camping for many day's at one spot then I would take 2 x good 'Deep cycle' batteries connected via a quality 'battery isolator' and get an 'upgraded regulater' to supply the power to them.

Enjoy your holiday...........
AnswerID: 44278

Sponsored Links