jeep grand cherokee advice

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 15:09
ThreadID: 99744 Views:4964 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
hello again, been running around looking at a bunch of different 4WD's of all shapes an sizes but i didn't consider the jeep until i saw one at a car yard this afternoon while looking at another truck witch turned out to be a little rough round the edges. any way the jeep is a 2005 grand cherokee laredo with just over 100 thousand on the clock and in good condition bar a few cosmetic issues on the interior. i was just wandering if any of you had experience with this car and could tell me about its ability off road, on road and just how thirsty is the V8? also are they reliable or can they be problematic?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 15:35

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 15:35
With a few mods they are very capable offroad, are thirsty & generally unreliable. That's why the one you're looking at Matt is so cheap ;-) An excellent well featured car to own while in Warrenty. Lots of detail on anything Jeep at www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 501457

Reply By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 16:49

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 16:49
Hi Mathew

We also considered a Jeep when upgrading our car 6 months ago. Looked like a decent car, all mod cons comfort and the laredo has the towing capabilities. But they are not as popular as the Nissans or Toyota's so the spares will be hard to get when you most need them and most probably expensive to.
We were told that Jeep stood for; Just Empty Every Pocket!!
We ended up at the Toyota garage and bought a Nissan.

You will be given lots of advice about which Toyota to buy and why at the end of the day get the car that suits your needs and budget.

Richard
AnswerID: 501462

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 17:52

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 17:52
Jeep parts expensive ? Goes to show how uninformed people are , you can get 99.9% of Jeep parts from the USA within 5 days of ordering at prices that show just how much Toyota+Nissan rippoff Australian consumers.
FollowupID: 777602

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:24

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:24
If Jeep parts were so cheap in Australia compared to Toyota and Nissan; why would you want to order your Jeep parts from the USA.... so Jeep doesn't rip off there Aussie customers?

And I think I would sooner have a vehicle that is supported in most country and regional towns with service agents or dealers...... what does Jeep have?
FollowupID: 777624

Reply By: Skulldug - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:55
Hi Matthew,

I have owned Nissan, Toyota, Pajero and Jeep Grand Cherokee. My favourite by a long way was the Jeep. Yes, they are thirsty but you pay for the power and its not as bad as the 200 series Toyota. Parts are expensive but readily available on the net cheap. I don't understand the comment that they are unreliable. Mine wasn't. My experience with Toyota service has been terrible! Toyotas are relatively reliable but when something does go wrong, the dealer will go into denial and Mr T is worse.

Cheers

Skull
AnswerID: 501465

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 23:59

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 23:59
I too Skull have owned & driven most of the brands & the favorite up until my current car was the Jeep also......................when it was running that is! 3 trips on the tilt tray in as many years, multiple recalls, numerous warrenty claims & the dreaded death wobbles sealed it's fate. It had to go!!!
In the 26 years prior none of my Toyota's ever got towed home. There's the difference. Dealer service for me has been fair to poor accross all brands but parts availability generally better for Toyota. As a member of the Jeep Club the volume of breakdowns on trips is unusually high. On the last long weekend I believe 4 club Jeeps were recovered on tilt trays. I even got to tow a Grand into Mildura behind the FJ. Oh the shame of it :-))
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 777646

Reply By: cloudseeker - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:07

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:07
Seeing the negative replies I have to chime in.

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. I'm in the US, so this is for general info not for availability of parts.

Jeeps change over the years, of course. Still.

I have 170,000 Miles...that's ~274,000 km.

I have to keep fixing things, once in a while, because it is an old car.

But - every time a AAA driver comes to start it or something they pat it fondly and say: 'good car'.

I was actually dead set on getting a new car. I looked at new Jeeps (and a few others). I did not like them. There was a matter of what you get with the basic package, they were too computerized, the back window was smaller, etc.

I looked again at my Jeep. I saw it was good. Very good.

I prettied it up some (satellite radio) and presto, new car.

I have never had a problem driving anywhere, over anything, etc. Extreme off roading I don't do, but I don't think people have problems with that.

It's old, and yes, anything can happen, I pray it doesn't, but it's a really good and really reliable car. It's taken me places. It's brought me back. It's considered a very reliable car in the US. I love my Jeep. I am not a car person. I can hardly tell them apart. This car - I love.
AnswerID: 501512

Reply By: lestlist - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 14:37

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 14:37
I'm on my third Jeep and wouldn't have anything else. We started with a KJ Cherokee diesel in 2003 and did about 120k trouble-free km. This was followed by a Grand Laredo diesel in 2006. We did about 123k in it and sold it on to our daughter and son-in-law who now have it at close to 300k and all it's had is a starter and a wheel bearing. We now have a 2010 Grand Laredo diesel which now has 80k trouble-free km on the clock.

All three cars have done multiple outback trips towing a 2T caravan and in all cases, the first trip for each was within one month of delivery.

This current car has a 250cm lift for that bit extra ground clearance, but the others handled the Outback tracks without a problem.

I can't comment on the fuel consumption of the V8, but the diesels are extremely economical.

You'll always get the uninformed diehards who only speak Nissan or Toyota, but my answer to them has been and is...You have to break down first to need the spare parts!

Don't be afraid to go Jeep. They are 4WD pioneers.
AnswerID: 501525

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:05

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:05
Ill second that lestlist. I have had 2 starting with the 2.5 CRD KJ, WH Laredo 3.0 CRD and I would have bought a third but the latest model was not yet in Australia so I bought a 200 series. I had less problems with both Jeeps than I've had with the cruiser, plus the WH 3.0 CRD was quicker of the mark and used far less diesel.
FollowupID: 777744

Reply By: matthew h - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 18:11

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 18:11
thanks for all the advice guys. in the end i decided to go with my heart and buy the jeep, after all im only 22 so the seduction of a v8 is far to much to resist. now ive got 12 weeks to familerise my self before we head off to take on all aussie has to offer. just debating about a 2" lift kit
AnswerID: 501554

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 18:25

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 18:25
Where are you Matthew? If it's Brisbane then CRDStu is the bloke to talk to.

http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/

Cheers.
FollowupID: 777737

Follow Up By: matthew h - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 21:57

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 21:57
im down in Melbourne at the moment. does any one know how badly a 2" lift will effect on road handling?
FollowupID: 777764

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 07:59

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 07:59
Mathew , if done properly the so called "death wobbles" won't happen , some Grands even from factory new had an "outback" lift giving an extra 1" over standard , the best place for any Jeep answers is ausjeepoffroad.com ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Having said that ,have lifted my 05 Grand Laredo CRD 2" using Dobinsons coils and shocks without any handling problems at all,,,,
FollowupID: 777775

Sponsored Links