Daintree crossing in June

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 15:07
ThreadID: 99767 Views:1579 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what river heights might be averaged at the Daintree crossing before the CREB track in early June? Obviously it will depend on rainfall etc, but is it usually do-able in June?

Troopy is lifted, locked, snorkled etc etc and has been to the Cape before.

Cheers
Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 18:55

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 18:55
Craig, you will need to check with the Cooktown council website to see if the track is open. Have a look in places for my comments on the N and S entrance to the track. It can be deadly slippery. Also the Daintree van park will have some info as to conditions.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 501560

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 00:21

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 00:21
Warrie I think he means the Bloomfield crossing before the Creb Trek entrance which should be ok at that time as there is a concrete causeway there--not like the old days.The Creb is a different story and can be very trecherous in wet conditions.
FollowupID: 777772

Reply By: Patrol22 - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:22

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:22
If you are referring to the crossing of the Upper Daintree River at the southern end of the CREB track then it is likely to be around the shin to knee deep mark in June. Of course the weather is a bit like politics and women.....highly unpredictable. These Park are now largely managed by the respective Aboriginal Communities and you can contact them on:

Jabalbina Yalanji Aboriginal Corporation
PO Box 1430
Mossman QLD 4873
ph: (07) 4098 5500
email: pdc@jabalbina.com.au

Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council
www.wujalwujalcouncil.qld.gov.au
via Cooktown
Cooktown QLD 4895
ph: (07) 4083 9100
email: chambers@wujalwujalcouncil.qld.gov.au

The CREB track itself comes under the Wet Tropics Management Authority and they can be contacted on 07 4052 0555 or
1st Floor
Cairns Corporate Tower
15 Lake Street
Cairns Queensland

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 501616

Follow Up By: craigandej - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 13:57

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 13:57
Thanks mate, just wanted a ballpark depth of the crossing in June, thought it may have been closer to about a metre at that time of year.

Will wait and see if the wet is late and how much she dumps.

Cheers
FollowupID: 777831

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 14:17

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 14:17
That's my knee I'm talking about mate......approx 500mm - I worked for the CREB in Mossman back in the 1960s when the original line to Cooktown went in and regularly travelled the track then and have been there quiet a few times since then as well. I have seen it deeper if there was a very late wet season but it drops pretty quickly as well.
FollowupID: 777833

Reply By: gclan - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 15:02

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 15:02
We drove the CREB Track mid-end July in 2012, and it wasn't a problem. I couldn't imagine it would be a that much deeper in June that it would be impassable. Just don't walk the Daintree though. We saw a big salty basking on the sand bar in the middle of the river.

Considering the Bloomfield Track had been closed only a week or two beforehand, the CREB was quite dry, and there were still the odd puddle and slippery sections.

The track was however supposed to have been closed when we drove it. The gate on northern end was open, and it wasn't until we got to the southern end just before the Daintree River that we came across the closed (but luckily unlocked) gates and big closed signs. We only passed one motorbike along the track, and we thought he may have been the bulldozer operator going home for the day.

Here's a video of our trip. We went South to North, so you'll have to fast forward to the end to see the Daintree crossing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWUruktxLU4

It's a great track. Make sure you have good recovery gear just in case.

Cheers
Karen
AnswerID: 502006

Sponsored Links