trip thoughts

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 17:37
ThreadID: 99795 Views:1486 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
planning a little jaunt later in the year from albany to say border village for a couple of weeks . no plans just stop when we feel like it, move on when we want , see what we want to see and maybe throw a line in if we find a good spot . is there any places that are a must see or avoid. i have been along there before (30+ years and a school camp trip in a bus ) and the good lady hasnt so no time like soon . we are self sufficant and easily amused . looking at june/july so will have to get holiday request form sorted asap . cheers wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 20:12

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 20:12
Hi Wayne

You’ll need to give us a bit more info. e.g.
Are you talking about following the tar all the way around or
The track along the top of the Baxter’s Cliff from Israelite or
The track up from Fisheries Rd to Balladonia.

Armed with this info you might get better responses.

Cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 501668

Follow Up By: Member - reddirtdreamer (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 20:24

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 20:24
as long as the disco can take what ever route i take im not fused. looking just to get away for awhile , wet a line , a campfire if possible a sky full of stars. might be me and the good lady or could be daughter as well which then ups the weight factor (teenager) so also means camper so all suggestions welcome. been a townie for too long. cheers wayne
FollowupID: 777866

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 00:50

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 00:50
G'day Reddirtdreamer,

It's a lovely area between Albany and Eucla.

Was down around Israelite Bay last week. Visited Bilbunya Dunes, Baxter Cliffs, and also around Dunn Rocks in Cape LeGrand NP. Plenty of spots in Cape Arid NP and Nuytsland Reserve to camp. The campsites at Israelite Bay are fine and a bit of history to checkout.

Track below Wylie Scarp to Bilbunya is interesting but tight in spots. Some very well preserved telegraph poles along the salt lake. Track up top has some top views. No probs with a trailer provided you have experience towing in remote areas. Beach run on otherside of Point Lorenzen is much quicker...just need to watch the weed and tides (big tide will mean you are in the softer stuff, but with low pressures and trailer with same track as car is fine). Tracks further on to Baxter Cliffs very similar.

Will be quite chilly then so fire will be handy, but grab timber before you find a spot to camp.

Pull out your hema maps and have a look....plenty of places to explore.

Carry plenty of water, enough fuel based on higher consumption if you take a trailer, extra food in case you need to spend extra time due to mechanical issues, means of communication to outside world if something goes wrong, and plenty of warm clothes. A shovel will be handy to dig for water at the base of dunes....kept the kids amused for a while.

Have fun.

Brett...

AnswerID: 501695

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:45

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:45
Hi Wayne,

Here's a blog I wrote just over a year ago describing some of the area and tracks between Toolinna Cove on the Baxter Cliffs and Wilson Bluff at the border.

Baxter Cliffs, Hampton Tableland and some Western Nullarbor Tracks

The first half of the blog describes some of the area you mention. I'm not a fisherman however I'm sure there's some fish there somewhere.

The second half of the blog describes some of the same longitudinal area as the first half but inland a bit (definitely no fish). A good outback trip without getting into to remote an area.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501696

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:10

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:10
Hi rdd,

You have chosen a great trip route. We love this area and have actually just returned from a trip down there. Only got as far as Hopetoun but found some great spots on the way. The Fitzgerald River NP just west of Hopetoun is just amazing. Check out Point Ann, Point Charles and also Quoin Head. The track in to Quoin Head is quite long and treacherous in parts but when you get there it is a very rewarding stop. In one day/night we saw Ospreys, Echidnas, an abundance of bird life, big lizards, owls and to top it all off swam with a pod of 12 dolphins in the bay on new years day. We couldn't believe how close they came in when we were swimming. Amazing experience! The fishing is also fantastic. It's worth phoning the DEC in the area to check that the tracks are open as they close them without warning when they have had lots of rain to help stop the spread of dieback.

Further east, a jaunt into Skippy Rock in the Stokes Inlet National Park about an hours west of Esperance will not go unrewarded. A bumpy track in but amazing facilities and a beautiful campsite with breathtaking views. Further east again past Esperance in the Cape Arid NP see if you can find a place called Jorndee Creek. Very remote spot and basic facilities but you will likely have it to yourself as we did at that time of year. Your own private beach with squeaky white sand and a beautiful creek that runs into the sea. There is also another great fishing spot not far from here called Thomas Fishery which is a but a bit of a challenge to get to.

There are obviously dozens of other options around this area and you have your more well known spots like Lucky Bay, Cape LeGrand etc but if you are looking for a challenge and a bit of isolation these recommendations are well worth looking into.

Good Luck and have fun!

Cheers

AnswerID: 501723

Sponsored Links