Coping with a accident scene?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:06
ThreadID: 99801 Views:2922 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Passed a serious accident scene to day, and my guts churned. I take my hat off to the guys , M & FM, that handle these situations, Ambo's, rescue units etc, they must love their work in the right sort of way of course, But theres no way i could handle it..lol. So i guess the general public take them for granted, but really we can't thank them enough, i'm sure most would agree!

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:29

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:29
Hi Axle,

Was the 1st to arrive at a fatality in Oct and it slowed me up, Both parents and a little boy dead. They put it down to fatigue but it put the wind up me and I drove that little bit more carefully.

The ambo's cops etc dont get near the pay they should for the work they have to perform, well in my eyes anyway. I'd want double or triple to constantly do what they do.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 501676

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:38

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:38
Exactly Wilko,.. Be good to see some wasted government funds go their way, but it will never happen!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 777874

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 22:11

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 22:11
x3 Wilko

Steve
FollowupID: 777878

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 22:01

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 22:01
Axle,
many years ago I was at at accident with some pretty gruesome scenes.

I asked one of the ambos how he coped with it and his answer came back.

I don't. If it is a bad one they don't tell me, so when I turn up I do my job and then go away and be sick and can't sleep.

I kept in touch with this person and he gave the job away.

RA.
AnswerID: 501681

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 22:18

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 22:18
Some scenes would have to effect the most hardened i guess rockape,... as i said its a job for the right person and god thank them.

cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 777881

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 23:48

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 23:48
Different people cope in different ways.
Some people can talk/write about it.
Emergency services debrief after attending incidents
Counselling services are available for emergency and rescue crew for as long as they need them and when they need them after an incident.
Some of us, including myself after working in maritime search and rescue, RFS and police, have a tendency to appear to deal with it well but have actually repressed the feelings connected with the incident and these can come back to the surface at any time in the future, even years later.

The important thing to remember after attending or seeing an incident is to seek help as soon as you feel uncomfortable about your thoughts and feelings. And the best help is talking to someone. If you don't have someone close or don't feel comfortable talking to someone you know you can always call a mental health hotline like Lifeline Australia 24/7 on 13 11 14. Don't try locking it away or burying it, then it could become an illness if not prevented or managed.

Safe travels and remember to take care of your both your body and mind.
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 501691

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 09:19

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 09:19
Some people have a built in coping mechanism, some don't. It sounds a bit callous but if you can't look at it like an essential service, that you are being paid for or volunteering to do the best you can to help/rescue, even distance yourself you will not last long as an ambo or Fire and Rescue.
Personally the greatest dread is that one day it could be someone you know and worse a child.
On the positive side every time you get a patient to medical help successfully a little bit of the bad stuff gets cancelled out.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 501708

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 10:16

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 10:16
One of the most annoying things when attending a fatal collision are the drivers stopping or slowing down to look. Causes huge traffic problems at a time when Police are trying to investigate and keep traffic safely flowing. And please don’t stop to complain about the hold up because you are in a hurry! And if the Police are directing you along a dirt road to get around the incident where it looks like a war zone and people are dead, don’t stop and complain because you have just washed your car. True story. Have heaps but you would not believe them. Like, imagine you have just worked at a scene where the driver of a motor bike has slammed into a light truck, killed himself and his pillion, his fiancée and seriously injured the driver of the truck. Motor bike was travelling over 180 k’s per hour at the time and hit the truck as the truck was turning into his driveway. You have to then go and tell both parents that their son/daughter are dead. You and your partner are the only crew working, so no time for debrief etc, back to the street and you come across a motor bike speeding. You stop the bike and driver abuses you, why don’t go catch real criminals, stop picking on us bike riders, are you after a promotion, need to fill your quota etc.
Sorry, I will say no more.....

Just drive safely and do not be in a hurry and take your breaks..... Kevin
AnswerID: 501711

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:22

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:22
Never apologise for such a statement Kev, the world is bigger than peoples small minds. Lose two kids and a great friend in ONE accident and feel the TOTAL support of police across three states, and it will open anyones eyes. All the best mate, let me buy you a cordial one day!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 777920

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:39

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:39
Kevin
Your spot on with the yahoos in the traffic holdups at accidents Kevin.
I had almost thirty years as paramedic.
A bit gruesome but it was karma for me.
On obvious suicide, man stepped into the path of a semi on the Pacific Highway.
Traffic held up for kilometres. Six young people in a passing car complaining of the holdup and why don't we get off the road plus other expletives.
Well I had a plastic bag in hand picking up body parts and I walked over to the noisey group and reached into the bag and pulled out a large section of skull. No blood just nice creamy bone.
The girl in the middle seat threw up almost straight away and her boy friend followed soon after.
I think they may have learned an unforgettable lesson?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 777927

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:47

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:47
Good on you Pinko. Although, as you say, very gruesome, that is one of the best comebacks I have ever heard. Hope they learnt a lesson and I bet they never forget it. Bob.
FollowupID: 777971

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:38

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:38
Hi Kev,

I moved to live in New Jersey after living in Australian all me life. We live in a small town and there the level of respect for police is almost beyone belief. If a police car ( not with flashing lights etc) turning onto or off a road, into or out of a drive way, will have the traffic stop for it. Not because they asked for it but because the people in town repect the police that much.

Returning to Australia for a work contract, I was amazed at the lack of respect everyone has, on and off the road for everyone else. I hear people being critical of America but we have a long way to go ourselves. We could start by paying EMS people what they deserve.
FollowupID: 778044

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:05

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:05
Hello Graham,
Respect started to disappear a few years back and I have my own theory on why. Also a few years back Police here did not have as many laws as now requiring people to state their name, address etc. Most were willing to talk to Police and help them. We were not as armed, no sprays, no taser. But it is a different world now, but why? Back a few years even the criminals were more respectful, still hated Police, but they knew when they were caught and copped it.
My wife and I spent a month driving a motor home around the UK in 2009 and that is when I realised that back home we Aussies are pretty bad drivers. Very impatient. And me being a Queenslander, I can say that I think we may be the worst.
Kevin
FollowupID: 778055

Sponsored Links