DP CHIP INSTALLATION

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 11:20
ThreadID: 99807 Views:8371 Replies:2 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Like so many before me I have purchased a used DP CHIP for my 200 series Land Cruiser and of course it came without fitting instructions. Can any one help with this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 11:41

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 11:41
John, I'd email DP and ask if they can email you a pdf copy.

You might be surprised, they should want to help someone fitting one of their products, even if it is second hand.

Most are fairly simple (waiting for mine to come from overseas) for common rails, not sure about your 200.
AnswerID: 501718

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 11:58

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 11:58
Hello Les

Thank you for that. I hope it works. Looking around the web someone said DP themselves were unhelpfull and wanted $200. I will give them a call Monday as see. Regards John
FollowupID: 777916

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:09

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:09
I own a 200 series and can't for the life of me understand why you would want to put a chip on it, what possible benefit could it add ??

Phil
AnswerID: 501722

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:46

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 12:46
Drive a chipped 200, youll see why
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 777930

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 13:49

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 13:49
Yeap have to agree with you Bonz....... they are good out of the factory but with a chip.....WOW.

Aussie Traveller...... if you want less power you can always derate the engine LOL.
FollowupID: 777940

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:08

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:08
Measure the exhaust gas temperatures, and you will see why NOT.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 777952

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:44

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:44
Hi Gone Bush
Please tell me the story re, EGT I was considering fitting an EGT gauge soon and I would be most interested in your findings?

Regards John
FollowupID: 777955

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:05

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:05
John, in my opinion these are a crucial bit of kit, they allow yoou to monitor how hot the exhaust gasses are and you can then manage the heat load on your motor, if you are going to fit a chip then I would also fit an EGT, no question

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 777958

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:35

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:35
I'll qualify my comment above; it was a bit brief.

The exhaust gas temps rise to worrying levels when towing, ie, when the vehicle is under load. I had a chip fitted and, after communicating with a member of LCOOL (he's also a member here) who also had a chip and EGT sensors fiitted, I took mine off.

I mainly use my 200 for towing so I didn't want any catastrophic failures from an over hot combustion chamber.

Fitting a chip is a personal decision and may well be OK without a van on the back, but the vehicle is so expensive to repair that there's no way I was going to jeopardise my warranty.

I have towed my 3500kg van around Australia 3 times so far and have never found the standard power/torque to be wanting. OK, there was one time coming up the highway from Brisbane into Toowoomba where we got down to 1st gear behind a truck, and then had to pull out to pass him that was a struggle, but even then, I was glad I didn't have a chip fitted because that would have been a worse case scenario as far as combustion chamber heat is concerned.

I'm happy that my driving habits are looking after the engine and now I've turned my attention to the gearbox.

I now tow most of the time in S4 and sit on about 85kph which allows the torque converter to lock up easily . This gets the transmission fluid temps well down and everything else is easy going. My Scangauge shows a drop in TFT from about 85 degrees to 60 or so when the TC locks.

Again, I emphasise that my comments apply to towing, but I still wouldn't jeopardise the warranty with a chip. Toyota will drop you like a hot potato if they see a chip has been fitted.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 777961

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:39

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:39
Yes, a chip will give more of something, but if it is so easy and so good, it would be so effortlessly easy for the manufacturers to do it too and they would have more of a marketing edge and an even bigger market share.

So why don't they do it??

The chip sellers have not much to lose, an international motor company has far more to lose. not to mention the possibilities of nation wide or world wide recalls.
Is it possible they have already determined the mechanical and economic limits?
Possibly not Chip manufacturers are far smarter, or, just pushing the limits at someone elses expense.
I wonder who the someone else could be.
FollowupID: 777962

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:26

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:26
Been running the DP Chip for over 100,000 kms from new and 95% of that has been in Northern Australia - high temps and not putting along. Takes about 3-4 minutes to remove before a service whilst in warranty, no way to tell you have one.
Engines are tuned for emissions, the extra grunt helps overtaking as you don't have to "wind it up" and helps with those A*#@oles you've been sitting behind forever who accelerate when they get to the overtaking lanes trying to stop you go around.
There will always be people who are happy with standard and others who like the extra power otherwise we would still have 100hp under the bonnet.
No problems with the DP and they cover if any damage is caused by the chip.
VERY easy to fit, do not pay somebody else.
FollowupID: 777992

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:00

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:00
Everyone who is against chips are basing it on assumptions with no real evidence to back there claims.

Ross there are many reasons why vehicle manufactures don't increase power including marketing.

Why do you think Ford Australia didn't have the turbo Falcons putting out more then the V8's.

Why did Holden advertise less power from there supercharged V6 engine compared to the V8....... funny how every V6 dynoed always put out more then the V8.

FollowupID: 778053

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:33

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:33
I'm not against them I just think in a 200 series that is a waste of time, but that is my opinion.

GimmeeIsolation you obviosly don't own a 200 series, because if you did you would know that over taking in a 200 is easy as, and you don't need a chip to do it safely.

To Quote you GimmeeIsolation.

"'No problems with the DP and they cover if any damage is caused by the chip."

"Takes about 3-4 minutes to remove before a service whilst in warranty, no way to tell you have one."

Why would you bother taking it out if DP cover any damage, by the way what you are doing could be classed as fruad.
FollowupID: 778065

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:06

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:06
Aussi Traveller
I agree,
However, it is fairly naive to think that a dealer won't suspect a chip is involved if some fault appears which isn't normally seen in common use.
Also, if GimmeeIsolation arrived at my premises for a service and I suspect from the aura exuded and other indicators, I think it would be fairly easy to tell if the relevant plugs had recently been plugged in and out.
Some alert mechanics can detect things which the average person doesn't even know about.
I have caught dealers doing shonkies in repair and service provision very easily. It isn't hard. ie 10,000km diff oil not even changed after 20,000 + km, should have been done twice by then.

Before a chip company will provide warranty you have to be able to prove the chip caused it and the dealer will suspect a chip anyway, so both parties will deny warranty unless this proving process is presented to them in an irrefutable manner.

Who does that, the owner????? Not many owners can or have the knowledge to even begin to recognize the fault they have let alone prove a series of events which are in the past and present them to which ever company or indeed to a deciding tribunal.
I have had experience is proving engine/service faults in hearings, it isn't easy.

I would just love to hear of someone contacting a company and say "your product caused my failure" and have warranty and full restoration happen without a dispute. They generally know nothing can be proven and give a warranty which is hard to obtain because, who really knows or can prove it anyway?
You cannot send the affected parts to either company for analysis because they can claim whatever they like as there isn't any/many checks and balances in the process. Just accept it, your screwed.
FollowupID: 778078

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 17:21

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 17:21
yep Ross you're on the money I reckon, its always someone elses fault. I do claims stuff and if we are negligent we pay, if not we don't, and theres always other parties involved.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778096

Sponsored Links