good tape whats its name and where

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 21:58
ThreadID: 9982 Views:2449 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard in recent times of a tape that is able to bind to itself and can take high presure and high heat . I dont know who makes it or where to get it but it sounds like good stuff. Has anyone any info please about this tape. Sounds like good stuff to have on board. Thanks in anticipation....Uther
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ken - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:11

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:11
Uther

Sounds like one of the 3M 'splicing tape' group of tapes.

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 44165

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:09

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:09
If your talking about radiator hose repair John Deere have a product called SpeedSeal Which is a rubberised band with a Velcro end.
Part No. CP4564
as per back cover
Easy to use
.Remove SpeedSeal from pack
.Pull out to its full lenght
.Wipe around affected area
.Start with rubberised end and wrap as tightly as possible around leak
.SpeedSeal bonds to itself
.Valcro strap holds loose end in place
.SpeedSeal is re-usable, with the exception of after being used on fuel lines

I haven't tryed it for real but I punched a hole in my garden hose and it stoped the leak 80 Psi
its about the size of an old film roll

regards

Richard Kovac
AnswerID: 44204

Reply By: Jonesy56 - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 16:40

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 16:40
Hi Uther,
The tape you are after is calle "Self Ammalgamating tape" or "Self Sealing Tape". It has been around for almost 20 years. It is made in UK and repackaged in oz. Mine was packed by Western Anchors under the brand name "Fusit". It has a plastic backing that peels off as you want it. Start to wrap the tape around before your break stretching it to about 3 times its length. When you have finished your repair hold it together with your fingers for about a minute then let it cure for an hour. It then forms a solid rubber joint - bloody brilliant stuff. I have used it for years. Unlike the fuel line stuff it wont work on petrol or diesel but for water and electrical it cant be topped
Regards Jonesy
AnswerID: 44212

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 17:39

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 17:39
ok, so thats they stuff eh, didn't know it could take high pressure though. I have some in the shed, use it to seal exposed antenna connections. If water gets into the coax it's good for nothing.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306442

Reply By: bruce - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:40

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:40
Used that sort of tape some years ago whilst on Telecom ...made good seals on cables...seen some that had been in very wet ground for some time and had not let water in...stretch and wrap tightly , bonds to itself , hard to get off if you have to...cheers
AnswerID: 44227

Reply By: Jarrod - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:53

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:53
Uther, yep, its called self amalgamating tape, and has been used in the radio trades/electronics industry for years. The main use being waterproofing of co-ax and transmission lines and feeders. Absolutely fantastic stuff, however as mentioned above, no good for petrol or deisel UNLESS the fuel line is completely dry and oil free on application. Two or three layers of tape and you have a perfect seal. - For pressure lines - i.e radiator hose, - If you didn't remember the spare!! dry the hose, wrap two or three layers of tape on, then put cable ties around the tape every 15 to 20mm. the cable ties wont stretch, and will hold the tape in place. Otherwise the tape just balloons out. When I was a young whippersnapper, my first 4x4 a 1973 swb l/c, I did a radiator hose, one of the guys fixed it in the car park with above method. - it held tight, and didnt leak, till i got to repco for the relacement hose - 6 months later!!!!
I ALWAYS carry a roll of the stuff and some cable ties. - I carry most spares but its nice to know you could help someone else out aswell.

Jarrod.
AnswerID: 44261

Reply By: guy (sydney) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:00

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:00
All this stuff you all are talking about, is it the same as "vulcanising tape" ?
Guy
AnswerID: 44282

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:51

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:51
Sounds like a must-have item....
So in the immortal words of John Singleton...."where do ya get it??" Cheers
waynepd
%
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 44300

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:10