Tagalong Gunbarrel

I have a deisel Prado and an Ultimate offroad camper. I want to do the Gunbarrel and then make my way to the Kimberley. I can't find a tagalong tour that allows me to take the camper. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can join a group or form an interested group. June/July would be my departure date.
cheers Mary-Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 10:27

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 10:27
Hi Mary-Anne

There are a couple of ways that you can go about it.

Firstly join this Best site as a paid member and advertise your trip as a Members Trip and you will never know who may be interested in going along with you.

All that you need to do is have at least one other vehicle in your party and you will meet the requirements set down to get your permit to travel the Abandoned section of the Gunbarrel.

It is a great drive, not hard at all proving that it is dry and some very special spots to see along the way. The only thing to be aware of is that there are some very good corrugations in some sections, so you will have to be able to drive to the conditions.

The whole drive is great, but every time I go back over my photos, I think Mt Beadell is my special place and the times that we have been there it is always so special.

All the best with your planning and enjoy another special place in our great Outback destinations to visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501814

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 10:30

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 10:30
These guys do Beadell Tours
AnswerID: 501816

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:27

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:27
Hi Mary-anne,

Just about the best tagalong you could do would be with Beadell Tours who are in fact offering a full Gunbarrel trip in June this year. They only travel with about six vehicles and your tour hosts would be Mick Hutton and Connie Beadell who is the daughter of Len Beadell, the surveyor & builder of the Gunbarrel and other roads in that area. Camper trailers are welcome on this tour.

The Beadell Tour website is
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 501827

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:33

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:33
Somehow that last Reply "submitted" before I was finished. Here is the rest of it:

The Beadell Tours website is here and the 2013 Tours page is here.

This Beadell Tour is very well worth the cost as you could not be in better hands out there and will see more points of interest and receive more historical information than you could possibly get by any other means.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 778042

Follow Up By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 06:06

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 06:06
Hi 464,
I've been on 2 trips with Connie and Mick. They are excellent hosts, are passionate about the country and incredibly knowledgeable. Would recomment travelling this country with them as it is part of their being. They provide the opportunity to go places, see the most spectacular sights, do the most amazing things. Each night you live and learn the history of your journey from the Aboriginal perspective and the explorers. Wow - I want to go again.
Marilyn
FollowupID: 778156

Reply By: 464 - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:23

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:23
Thank you for your reply's. I will get onto the Beadell website. I will also become a member and advertise here. I would rather travel in a small group of 2 or 3.
I have done the Tanami and the Gibb, but imagine this trip would be incredible.
cheers
Mary-Anne
AnswerID: 501834

Follow Up By: 464 - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:24

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:24
PS Stephen your photo's are stunning !
FollowupID: 778063

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:19

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:19
Hi Mary-Anne

Thanks for that and here are a few more of what it is like out there.

It is very contrasting country from vast open spinfex plains to thick Mulga scrubland, as well as the great formations.

We found the worst corrugations from south of Mt Beadell to just east of Mangkili Claypay.

It is great country and think that you would not have any trouble getting someone to come along with you. In my first reply, you will see that as part of the free permit to travel that area, they limit it to a minimum of 2 vehicle to a maximum of 5 vehicle in any 1 group.

I have never seen or heard of anyone ever being asked for permits, but it always pay to do the correct thing, as you never know who you could meet out there. We have come across a number of solo travellers and they did not have any issues being out there by themselves.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778079

Follow Up By: Mary-Anne M (Qld) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 07:32

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 07:32
Hi Stephen !
More beautiful photo's...just gives me more inspiration !
Unfortunately the Beadell tour is fully booked for 2013..so will perservere and find another way.
cheers
Mary-Anne
FollowupID: 778162

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 08:40

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 08:40
Hi Mary-Anne

Do not give up hope. There are many members here on this site and it is often a reasonably travelled route by members.

Post your intended dates of travel here on the forum and ask for fellow like minded travellers to contact you if interested, and it will then be linked to the Members Trips and Events.

I would be fairly sure that there will be other members that would like to travel the Gunbarrel and you will all benefit from each others company and experiences.

All the Best and think positive and it will become a reality.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778165

Sponsored Links