Victorian High Country

Hi all

We are thinking of going to the Vic high country in April this year. I have done some of the northern sections around Dargo area a few years ago but this time would like to visit more the southern sections.

Firstly how cold will the nights be in April and secondly what are some of the things we shouldn't miss in the southern region. We are more into scenery and bush camping by a river than hard core 4wding.

Regards Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 23:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 23:07
Expect and be prepared for blizzards in April. I have been trekking across the Vic Alps in blizzards in April. It was cold at night, below zero, but when the weather was fine and still it was relatively warm during the day so wear layers.

It is very beautiful in Autumn :)
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 501960

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 06:38

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 06:38
Apart from the Mitchell River National Park which has nice river side camping, there is not much more south of Dargo.

Most of the "Vic High Country" is to the west north west of Dargo. Places like Wonnangatta Station, Pikes Flat on the Howqua River, Bindaree Hut also on the Howqua, King River at Pineapple Flat and King River Hut to name a few river side camping areas.

It can get cool at night, but being down on the rivers you will be out of any bad weather.
AnswerID: 501968

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 23:17

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 23:17
Thanks Tony

Thanks for the info. I will look up all the places you mentioned. After looking at the map it was the sth west of Dargo I was thinking of.

Regards Peter
FollowupID: 778432

Reply By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 13:06

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 13:06
Was there over Easter, 5 or so years ago. Snowed 1 night. Days were very pleasant around 15 degrees with big blue skies. Overnight temperatures were down to minus 5-8 degrees when we were camped at Talbotville. Had a great time. Just make sure your sleeping bags are rated for these temperatures.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 501999

Reply By: George_M - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:32
Hi Peter

There are some great places to camp on the Macalister River and Caledonia River out of Licola. Do the loop from Licola up the Macalister River, Butcher Country Tk, over the Link Tk to the Caledonia River, over Dingo Hill and back to Licola

You can expect the weather to be cool, and the creeks will probably be at their lowest for the year.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast, as most of these places can be "interesting" when wet.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502039

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:10
Hi Peter,

I consider April/May to be the best time to visit the high country as I prefer the cold to the heat. I was there last May and had great weather. Clear days and cool nights and snow in the higher areas.
I'm going back there this coming April/May but instead of coming in through Mansfield, this time it will be via Jindabyne. Keep an eye out for a white 120 Prado with trout rods in the roof rod holder. We might bump into each other.
Have a great trip.
Capt.
AnswerID: 502088

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:06
Thanks Capt...I will keep an eye out for you.

Peter
FollowupID: 778477

Reply By: Bravo Man - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:26

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:26
Thanks to all those who replied. A great help.

Peter
AnswerID: 502277

Sponsored Links