Power in Tent

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:33
ThreadID: 99872 Views:2338 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have just purchased a tent and will be doing a lot of family camping this year in holiday/caravan parks.

I'm just a tad confused about how to get power in the tent. I've tried searching these forums but haven't found a direct answer.

Our tent has an opening where you can bring in cables so that's not a problem. But can you plug a power board directly into the holiday park 240V power outlet? I don't think you can...

So what's the best way to power multiple items in a tent? (ie. computer, light, fridge etc)


PS. I'm sure this is a very basic question but obviously want to make sure I'm following holiday park guidelines and safety/compliance regulations.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jahooper - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:41
We have one of those orange builders power board things it has its own safety switch built in and a double power point on each side, never had an issue, we always take a fridge and lighting etc, handy to have the switches. but have friend that just run an outdoor lead to a power board, never had an issue yet.
AnswerID: 502022

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:54
Agreed. Bunnings sell a cable joiner, which is a showerproof box to cover any plugs on extension leads that are exposed to the elements, and they also sell nice long extension cords that have done the job.

Be sensible with the placement of the power board, i.e. not in a spot where there is drips of water from condensation or rain, don't overload it by having the toaster and kettle on at the same time, and your tenting experience can be just as full of the mod cons of life that you are used to.
FollowupID: 778370

Follow Up By: phantom - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:14

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:14
We use a weather proof power board set up outside the tent and then run an extension into the tent with a domestic powerboard with no issues ever. This way, we have power inside and out. Most parks require you to use a 15 amp lead.
FollowupID: 778450

Reply By: wizzer73 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:45

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:45
Just run a extension lead from the holiday park 240V power outlet into the tent then attach your power board to that. Preferably one with a rcd on it.

AnswerID: 502036

Reply By: Joker - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:54
All parks these days have earth leakage safety switches on their outlets to protect campers from shock. I think it's required as part of their accreditation. A 15 amp extension lead and a power board with a safety switch as back up will be fine.

AnswerID: 502090

Sponsored Links