New Dual Cab 4X4

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:33
ThreadID: 99873 Views:11587 Replies:21 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing a new Dual Cab 4x4 and have narrowed my choice to 3 options.
Mazda BT50 XTR Auto
Nissan Navara ST-X
VW Amarok Highline TDI420

I would appreciate feedback from members who own / drive these vehicles to help me make the correct decision.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bluefella - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:41
the new 5 cycl ford ranger mite be worth a look also
AnswerID: 502023

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:42
Bluefella.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the Ranger. The BT50 is basically a twin but I prefer the BT50 pricing and looks.

I drove a Ranger and BT50 and there is very little beween them

FollowupID: 778375

Reply By: 410 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:53

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:53
What about Hilux ? What ever you pick make sure you compare all features, fuel economy, comfort, room, price etc, warranty and resale. Good Luck
Rich
AnswerID: 502026

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:46

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:46

I didn't even bother looking at the Hilux. I have driven a wide range of vehicles at work including a Hilux. They do not compare to the Mazda/Ford, Nissan or VW - not even close.

The only thing going for it is at least they have a dealership where I live. Only make that does. That would not be enough to make me consider one.

FollowupID: 778376

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 16:47

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 16:47
I would have to agree with Kumunara on this one.I was a hilux person (toyota) through and through (own a prado now) but I am about to update again, I was looking at the utes in place of the prado but due to family reasons etc i am going to get another prado. I have driven the hilux's, dmax, triton and ranger, the hilux is so far behind in years its not funny. I mean come on, still got a 4 speed auto while nearly all the others are running 6 speed auto. The power/torque stakes are way behind in the hilux compared to the others and very noticeable. The triton I thought was a bit gutless (especially compared to the pajero's 3.2 compared to tritons 2.5), dmax seemed to pull like a train (went well)

Toyota need to lift their game allot. I would not pay 55/60k for a lux which the motor has been around for the last 8 years and still have injector issues, leaking seals etc (same as D4D diesel prado).

I dont tow so have petrol now 4L V6 VVTI auto, (had TD prado before) Heaps of grunt with the petrol, 5 speed auto, quit, smooth, and dont have injector issues and still manage 11.6L per 100 on the freeways sticking to the speed limits, cant complain about that and I dont have to change the oil and filters every 5k which are also nearly double the price of the petrol, and I for most of the time manage to get petrol 20c a litre cheaper then the diesel if I fill up when their at the cheapest fuel cycle...........If I was towing for long periods of time (retired and touring) then I would get diesel......................
FollowupID: 778537

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:02

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:02
Brian Fox posted this reply on the ExplorOz Facebook page:

My daughter has the Navara and it has a poor turning circle. Do a test drive of whatever you get including parking in supermarket type car parks as the Navara usually requires you to back up to get another swing.
My brother has the Ford Ranger and loves it.
AnswerID: 502027

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:05

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:05
Know absolutely nothing about them, but all the farmers down here seem to be buying the VW Amarok TD.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 502028

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:29
John Williams posted this reply on the ExplorOz Facebook page:

Dont have an issue had my stx for 4 years tows my 20 ft van all over the place with origional clutch all depends who is driving the thing will buy another
AnswerID: 502032

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:29
Most of the dual cabs have a carp turning circle . . . re the PX Ranger, maybe the wait is why it's not on Kumunarras list.

But I would include it and be prepared to wait if it suits you, it is a far more attractive vehicle than its clone the BT50 (my opinion, but I know a lot agree).

I would seriously look at the Amorak, Dmax, or Ranger.

Maybe check out any options you want to consider for short and long term also, and see what's on offer from suppliers too.
AnswerID: 502033

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:06

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:06
Les,
there are around 30 PX Rangers sitting in Fords Mackay holding yard. But I guess they maybe orders for a mine.

RA.
FollowupID: 778382

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:19
Yeah, most likely, since generally mines are now spec'ing 5 star safety rating and I believe the PX is about the only one that can handle that in a CC.

If you take a look at the Ford Aust forums (I drop in there once every few months for a peek at what's going on) the wait for some has been 9 months or more, usually 6 mths is common.

Some opt for whatever is available (colour / options, etc) and get one quicker.

When I posted that last sentence in the post above, it was in reference to after market accessory suppliers (just looked at it and it wasn't clear) . . . I wanted to look at auto lockers at one stage front and rear, but of course dicovered only ARB rear air is available.
It's important to look at all that before buying a vehicle, lesson learned.
No that interested in lockers now, learning to take better lines : )
FollowupID: 778384

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:39
My PX XLT Super cab was delivered 5 weeks after ordering it. We were lucky due to someone cancelling an order.

The only problem I have had with aftermarket items is waiting for a snorkel. I could use someone else, but have had issues with a couple of 4x4 aftermarket firms here in Mackay.

Have a factory locker on the rear and I would not get a front locker even if available.

Have a good one,
RA.

FollowupID: 778386

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:18

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:18
The Nissan Navara has a LSD system on the rear and diff lockers cannot be fitted to the rear. The VW and Mazda come standard with diff lockers.

The Amarok, Ranger and BT50 all have 5 star safety rating. The Navara is 4.

FollowupID: 778392

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:26

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:26
ARB make air lockers for front and rear of the D40. I also believe that you can now get an auto locker (Lokka) for the front. I replaced the LSD with and air locker a few years back and gotta say it certainly makes life a lot easier on the loose shale etc.
FollowupID: 778394

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:31
Here's a llink:D40 Air Locker
FollowupID: 778396

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:43
Yeah, lockers would be nice in certainly limited situations . . . is the ARB air locker basically an open diff though, when it is not engaged ?

I think I'd prefer auto locker (or rather auto unlocker) which should be lots safer on wet / gravel roads in 2wd (though I usually go 4wd if gravel is loose enough anyway).
FollowupID: 778398

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:54

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:54
Yeah Les - air lockers and electric lockers are either locked or unlocked. The diff operates as an open diff when not engaged.
FollowupID: 778399

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:13
Les,
I had had Detroit lockers on my Troopcarrier.

Up side. they just work and mine had no noises or bumps when locking or unlocking.

Down side. You can't control there action and I wouldn't have one on the front again.
You do get increased tyre wear on the rear.
You do have to get accustomed to them but once you do there is no problem.

Would I have them again. Yes, but not in the front.

New Ranger XLT comes standard with diff lock on rear and the new BT50 costs $500 to fit when ordered.

RA.

FollowupID: 778402

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:39

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:39
Cheers for that, pros and cons then hey ?
Makes sense re the extra wear, before they disengage there is bound to be some grab going on putting stress on the trye . . . if I ever get another vehicle, I'll look for one that can have at least a rear auto, and perhaps front air then.

I think I can mange with just the lsd in this Ranger, which is apparently working very well in most cases . . . a little left foot braking or handbrake on a notch or two is supposed to enhance this, but still playing with that when I get a bit of a spot to try it out.
FollowupID: 778408

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:41
I have a 2008 D40 auto 2.5 crdi that I bought new. I've done an E-W-E crossing of Australia E to W across the Nullabor and W-E back through the middle. Telfer Mine Rd - Gary Hwy - Gunbarrel hwy - Heather Hwy and GCR. From Alice to the East Coast via Mt Dare, the Simpson, Birdsville, around the Corner Country and then on to Cape Byron. While in the West we visited a bunch of places including Steep Point. Just recently got back from a 2 month trip to Cape York via the OTL and other points such a Maytown, Palmerville etc. Will be heading off into the Vic High Country shortly to check out the Haunted Stream Track. So you can see that I use mine for a bit of off roading as well. I have done a bunch of mods such as a 50mm lift, fitted bash plates, air locker in the rear, bullbar and winch - and some other stuff just to make life more comfortable when camping.

I now have 101000km on the clock and it is still under warranty as I bought the extended factory warranty when I bought the car. A few things have gone wrong with mine:

1. There was a very slight vibration under load with OD on - Nissan determined that this was a problem with the torque convertor and replaced it @ 1500km mark.

2. On the recent Cape York trip the vibrations took their toll and the transmission filler tube/dip stick tube cracked near the box and allowed a couple of ltrs of fluid to escape. I had to be recovered by RACQ into Mossman but Nissan in Cairns fixed everything under warranty.

3. I fitted a bunch of after market suspension parts as part of the lift when the car was brand new. On the recent Cape York trip the link from the front stabilizer to the lower control are broke away. Despite the fact that much of the suspension was aftermarket Nissan fixed this for me under warranty.

4. I had a bit of a leak from the power steering pump but this was just a loose banjo fitting and it was fixed by Nissan Assist.

Some other points you might like to consider are:

1. It has a large turning circle of 12.3 metres. It can be difficult to manoeuvre sometimes but I've towed my off road camper all over the place and still manage.

2. Fuel consumption on my 2008 auto is not good. I average around the 13.2 ltrs per 100 km combined and I don't look at the Scangauge when I'm towing the camper through sand or up hills :-). Fuel consumption is much better in the manuals and also in the new autos. Also a negative for me is that my ute is heavy - I have a storage system the takes up the full tub and within this are 2x110 Ah aux batteries and a 70 ltr stainless water tank. I was on the weighbridge at the tip the other day with just my 7x5 box trailer behind me empty and I weighted 4.3 tonne.

You will hear other who squeal about Nissan's poor service - I have to say that I've not struck any (repeat ANY) issues at all with the dealers I've done business with. (ie Lennock Motors in Canberra, Nowra Car City in Nowra NSW, and Westco Motors in Cairns QLD). Have I been lucky? Who knows but I find that if you are polite but firm in dealing with the dealers then you generally get a good response. I didn't expect them to fix my suspension under warranty - but they did and not a bleat from them.

Sorry I can't comment on the other marques you have shortlisted but good luck with your choice.
AnswerID: 502034

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:53
Thanks Patol22

I am looking at replacing my third Patrol and have not had any problems with Nissan re warranty issues. I have heard of others that have.

For the trips and kms you have done it appears to have been a very good vehicle. My present patrol has done 250,000 km with very little problems.

I am looking at the ST-X with the 3.0 ltr V6TDI and was hoping to hear from someone who has one.

FollowupID: 778379

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:58
You might have better luck with finding a V6 D40 owner on the Navara forum http://www.navara.asia/forumdisplay.php?f=57
FollowupID: 778381

Follow Up By: jacm - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:38
I have V6 TDI Navara, it is my first ute and I drove them all to compare before buying it (and took several months in making up my mind). They are all good, but the dealer network helped me in making up my mind (VW not many, Mazda is better with Ford, Nissan and Toyota with the best networks). The turning circle is not good, but that is only negative that I have (none of them are car like anyway).

The power of the V6 is great - it tows our Kimberley Karavan with ease up and down hill. Economy without the Kimberly is around 10 litres per 100 (the car has a bull bar, canopy, long range range tank, drawers and few other bits. Towing the Kimberly is always between 13 to 14 litres per 100, on cruise at the speed limit. We have done 22000 K's in 5 months and have found it comfortable for long days. The split rear seat is another good point.

Cheers
JM
FollowupID: 778385

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:00

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:00
Thanks jacm. I will be towing a camper trailer and the information you have given me is very relevant and helpful.

I have been looking at it but residing in Katherine where there is only a Toyota dealer has made it hard to test drive. I have taken the opportunity to test drive whilst on holidays.

The VW was the most refined and best drive. However I agree with you about the lack of dealer network. I liked the Ranger, BT50 and Navaras. I loved the power of the V6.

FollowupID: 778387

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:55

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 18:55
G'day Kumunara

I bought an XLT Ranger auto in July last year and now have 16000 trouble free k's on it and absolutely love it ! Awesome off road ability - smooth and quiet on the black stuff and very fuel efficient ( last tank was open road driving sitting on 105 kph ( but speedo reads 5 k's fast ) and got 860 k's for 72 litres.

I own and run a small 4wd tour business and have driven nearly every 4wd currently available and chose the Ranger because in my opinion it is the best package currently available. Last year I spent 2 weeks with a Japanese film crew filming ads for the 200 series Landcruiser and I believe the Ranger is as good as if not better than the cruiser - and it's nearly half the price ! ( I better say that the Ranger is yet to prove itself for longevity so the cruiser owners on this site don't start their usual whinge lol )

On a recent trip to the mountains - the blokes with the Patrols and Cruisers who had big lifts, big muddies and diff locks were gobsmacked by the Rangers ability with no diff lock engaged, no lift and it's standard tyres ( could be the driver as well ) Can't wait to see how it performs with an aftermarket suspension and some decent tyres !

The BT50 is pretty much identical mechanically but I was prepared to pay an extra couple grand for the "better looking vehicle" of the 2.

Hope you have a good run with whatever you buy - but remember - cars are like wives - some blokes end up with a good one and some blokes end up with a lemon !

All the best

Gazz

AnswerID: 502042

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:06
What you have said corroborates what I already thought about the Ranger and BT50.

Unlike you I prefer the look of the BT50 and it is also cheaper. Opinions about the looks of the two vehicles are divided.

Some of the Shires in the NT are now using the Ranger and finding them very good - for both performance and reliability. The Shires give vehicles a real hammering so that is a good endorsement.

FollowupID: 778388

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:25
VW Amarok. My neighbour was almost a fourth generation hilux owner....he made a mistake and drove an Amarok. He was hooked and got out of his hilux deal.
Two years in row as 4wd ute of the year in 4x4 magazine I think. They jacked off one Toyota owner big time who spat the dummy when they picked it over the land cuiser dinosaur ute...good motor but that's not enough these days, and certainly not fit for purpose for 95% of the population.
I reckon either of your short list will do you just fine.
Nice barra!
Brett....
AnswerID: 502045

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:29
Brett

I test drove a new Amarok with the 8 speed Auto. Very refined and good drive. I couldn't believe the amount of power and how smoothly it was delivered from a 2 ltr motor. I can understand how your friend got hooked.

FollowupID: 778423

Reply By: Millsy999 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:50

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 19:50
We have recently purchased a BT50 GT auto. Nearly 4000 kays on the clock and absolutely love it. Have not towed the van with yet (still waiting to be delivered) but have towed 1750 kgs of boat and it did not break a sweat. Diesel dual cabs have come a long way in the last 10 years or so in terms of features and performance.
I believe the best dual cab utes on the market currently are the BT50 and the Ranger. There a few reasons we chose the BT50 over the Ranger........

- We prefer the looks of the BT50 over the Ranger. This is entirely personal, and regardless of what other people think, I believe the BT50 is the better looking car. Other people are entitled to their opinions, but I am the one who spent the money. I am not a fan of the Rangers 'American' styling, and like the layout and design of the BT50 dash and instruments better than the Ranger.

-There is a price difference between similarly specced BT50 and Ranger, in the BT50s favour, however the extras in the Ranger such as rear parking sensors, fold in side mirrors etc are not important to me. Our BT50 however does have sat nav, larger display screen and power drivers seat that the Ranger only gets in the Wildtrak model.

- The Ranger towbar is horrible, it is far too low compared to the BT50.

Cheers
Shane
AnswerID: 502047

Reply By: Sapper D - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:42
Hi Kumunara
Have had a Navara STX V6 Dual Cab for 12 months now and can't speak highly enough about it.---I tow a 22ft van , then park it and head of on tracks like the CSR, Gunbarrell, etc, and it takes them in it's stride.If I have one point of criticism, it's not got the seat comfort of say my previous 100 series LC, but everyone has different comfort levels I suppose. ---Yes the turning circle isn't a sedan by any means, but for it's length, it's not a real issue and you get used to it.-----That V6 motor is a serious unit also.--- Like others have mentioned, Nissan have been great to deal with,--maybe we're the lucky one's---good luck in your choice..........Sapper D

AnswerID: 502053

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:36
Sapper

All of the dual cabs have huge turning circles. It is the nature of the beast. I am sure it is something that you would get used to. As it is the turning circle for my patrol is not much better.

It is good to hear how happy you are with your vehicle. I was impressed with all three vehicles I have nominated. A test drive is no substitute for owning one and driving it as you have.

Thank you

FollowupID: 778424

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:58
K - I bought a couple of those 2 for 1 offroad mags ($9.95) to read over hols and in one (4x4 Australia July 2011) there was a reasonable comparison of the Amarok TD4, Navara TDV6 and Triton TD4. In another, which came with the Jan2013 Overlander (Overlander 4WD Road tests No2) they tested the DMax, Triton, Navara Ti550, Hilux SR5 D4D and also did an Amarok/Triton/Hilux comparo. Worth grabbing for a look.
AnswerID: 502055

Reply By: p_marns - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:20
hi k, if you wont consider a hilux the only thing that comes close is a ranger. And rule out the Amorak, parts are hard to get and very expensive
AnswerID: 502067

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:53

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:53
Your joking arn't you , one aspect of a reliable vehicle is that you don't need to have a dealer stocked with thousands of $$ worth of spare parts in every 1 pub town in Australia like Toyota !!
FollowupID: 778458

Reply By: Scotty - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:41

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:41
I owned a prado grande petrol and recently changed over to a bt 50gt, noticed the comfort level so had a sax upgrade $2300 and is a lot better. Drives well and is as powerfull as the prado which was petrol. Yes turning cycle is not as good.

I also tried the ford and amarok, the amarok was better finished and quieter both inside and out, but it just lacked some grunt and also the seating did not suit me as I am a small person. The bt50 gt has electric seat which I really like, especially driving from NSW to Darwin.

The Ford was nice but it looks bigger both on the inside and out, big bonnet to look over and also ford was harder to get and the salesmen ( two dealerships) did not get back to me. Yes I agree the Toyota was not in the running for me also.
AnswerID: 502074

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:52

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:52
Scotty

Thanks for your information.

I am slightly bigger than average 189 cms and 98 kgs. I find a lot of seats in vehicles are designed for smaller people and very uncomfortable for me. The seats in the Amarok for me were just right.

A Ford Dealer I spoke with told me that the Ranger is selling extremely well and they are having difficulty keeping up supply. It appears that this is the same for most dual cabs.

They have gone ahead leaps and bounds over the past 10 years and most brands have leapfrogged the Hilux. It will be interesting what Toyota will do to maintain market leadership.

FollowupID: 778428

Reply By: Sherron V - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 01:04

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 01:04
Hi.
I don't own any of the ones listed but I drive a new model LTZ Colorado and love it. It's a 6 speed auto and I have done 30000kms since new has fantastic fuel economy even with the van on the back (we have a 23/24 foot van). Very comfortable ride.

Svd
AnswerID: 502083

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:52

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:52
Svd

Thanks for that information. I have driven holdens (Commodores and Rodeos) for work vehicles.

I find that the seats in Holden vehicles do not suit my large torso/body shape and I end up with lower back pain.

The handling of the Rodeo was also terrible and I driving it was not an enjoyable experience.

For those reason I did not look at the Colorado. I guess that I am just prejudiced against the Holden brand because of past experiences.

I have heard that the new Colorado is a very good vehicle.

FollowupID: 778453

Reply By: Peter F9 - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:33

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:33
I have just been through the same process. I went with the RANGER XLT. The VW was impressive but my reservation was the small 2ltr engine running the twin turbos. My diesel mechanic questioned whether getting so much power out of a small engine would compromise longevity. Also it was 10k dearer than the Ford/Mazda. Navara I found a generation behind in therms of ride and appointments. So for me it was a toss up between the Mazda and the Ford. Initially I thought the Mazda would be cheaper but when I speced up both the Ford came out slightly cheaper. For example the Ford came standard with a tow bar, parking sensors and sports bar which were all extras on the Mazda. The only difference with the Mazda and Ford in terms of ride is they run different tyres. Both are great vehicles and I don't think you will go wrong with either.
I've done 7,000kms on mine since Oct 12 and have been very impressed. Including a trip out to Fords Bridge past Bourke.
Note the thread about the Sat Navs in the BT50's. In car satellite navs in all cars are a con. I've had two from different manufacturers with same issue - updates cost a fortune. You are better off with a portable unit with lifetime map upgrades.
Finally check the "leather" seats in the top spec Mazda as I think you will find they are "man made leather" ie Vinyl.
Good Shopping
Peter

AnswerID: 502089

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:43

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:43
Peter

Thanks for that info. I will look closer at the costs. On paper the Ford is dearer.

Also the car installed GPS units are only good for the blacktop. I have a portable VMS, which does the job.

FollowupID: 778452

Reply By: Mazdave - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:08
Hi Kumunara,
I have the BT50 Freestyle cab chassis, bought in April 2012 and now done 12000kms.
I have upgraded to OME suspension and lots of other goodies and so far very happy with perfomance, economy and ride both on and off road. I looked at all options at the time, apart from the Amarok and it came down to a choice between the mazda and Ranger. Once the negotiations started in then came down to price and apart from styling, both vehicles are basically the same. Whilst I did initially prefer the Ranger's more squarish front, the end saving of $4000 made the Mazda grow on my very quickly.
An additional bonus was the Mazda came with a rear diff locker standard on the XL model whilst it wasn't even an optional extra on the Ranger comparo.
Bottom line really is both vehicles are basically the same and it boils down to what price diff you can negotiate.

AnswerID: 502097

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:12

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:12

My daughter has the Navara and it has a poor turning circle. Do a test drive of whatever you get including parking in supermarket type car parks as the Navara usually requires you to back up to get another swing.
AnswerID: 510441

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:12

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:12

Dont have an issue had my stx for 4 years tows my 20 ft van all over the place with origional clutch all depends who is driving the thing will buy another
AnswerID: 510442

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 04:08

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 04:08

AnswerID: 510686

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 04:08

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 04:08

AnswerID: 510687

Sponsored Links