Starting to become a rough ride

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:18
ThreadID: 99884 Views:2178 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Hilux 2006 SR5 which has been a great vehicle too date.
But the ride is becoming rough, on highway driving you hit a few bumps and you notice too much. I took it into a suspension place and they said it was fine, but I still don't like the ride. Has anyone else had such a problem or do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:37
Have you recently changed tyres, for example have you put Light Truck tyres on.

Tyre pressures?
AnswerID: 502092

Follow Up By: wato35 - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:06

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:06
I am just about ready to put new tyres on (these have done 85k).
Presures are fine.
FollowupID: 778460

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:07

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:07
wato35
What is the component which wears out and causes multiple rebounds or the suspension and you feel all rebounds as a rough annoying ride instead of a supple absorption of the suspension action.
YES, you are correct it is the shock absorbers.
Most Japanese shock absorbers don't work real well after 50,000km so it may well be them. Many Japanese based utes are involved in accidents which can directly be attributed to the slack shocks, but no one seems to check or care.

I am not surprised at all that the suspension place didn't find anything visibly wrong with them, most don't leak or visibly deteriorate, they just don't work. I am a bit surprised they didn't try and sell you a new set though, as that is normal practice for a place starting with no bull and others.
If you get two blokes to bounce the vehicle up and down as violently as they can then let it settle, it should immediately stop the movement within 1 bounce, max 1 1/2.
If not they are US and RS too.

Ross M
AnswerID: 502099

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:11

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:11
Gday Ross
Also NBG

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 778462

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 13:49
G'day MUZBRY
I presume that stands for Need Better Gear.
or New Bilsteins Gained.

I have a particular interest in shocker performance and their deterioration. I used to help a wrecker mate of mine and we recovered many utes which had crashed and we spent serious time looking at why.
Above all else they had all done over 50,000 km and when we looked at and tested the shocks on some and they were NBG.
We took the time to investigate for our info, the only other people who do that too is the Police crash investigators.
The motto is, "Don't find your shocks are worn by accident".

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 778476

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:46
hi wato35
in addition to the shocks being worn out and a big factor in the hard ride
no one has mentioned the fact that your tyres have done 85th k's and are about to be replaced as quoted you
this in its self is a factor because there is not much tread left the cushion effect of a good layer of tread also contributes to a softer ride as i have found over the years and many sets of tyres
but on the other hand hilux's have also always been known to have had a harsh riding suspension
cheers
FollowupID: 778480

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:12
Regardless of what that suspension joint said I would be trying a new set if shockies. Never heard of springs becoming stiffer as they age unless they collapse completely.

Maybe the seats need re-springing. Not having a go at your weight wato (;-))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 502101

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:43

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:43
It depends on what you mean by rough Wato, and what it is that you notice too much. Is it harsh feedback that concerns you or does it wallow too much for example? Have you been carrying consistently heavy weights around (in the back, not in the passenger seats lol) which might have caused some level of spring sagging?

In my (limited) experience worn out or broken dampeners (shocks) don't give you a harsher ride but you get more bounce and wallow (a whole lot if the front mounts break as happened on one occasion to me). If it's harshness that you don't like ('the ride') or is boneshaking when you hit a bump for example that is generally the result of springs (and tyres) rather than shocks. Softer or better rated springs might help the ride but might also reduce your load carrying and handling.
AnswerID: 502108

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:51

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:51
If the ride doesn't improve with new tyres (it definitely should) only then start to look at suspension.
AnswerID: 502109

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 16:04
I agree he needs new tyres and they will affect the feel of the ride but if at 85K a serious look at shocks is a very advisable thing to do.
Yes, you can legally drive on new tyres, but if the shocks are stuffed the vehicle dynamics are even further compromised because they will be asked to perform to the ability of the tyres.
Tyres are easily seen, other essential components are not.
ie. He might have new tyres and terrific grip but it is the shocks which will bring you undone because they keep the tyre in contact with the ground.
No contact with ground = no braking or steering control at vital times and an inability to avoid in emergency situations.
The ABS in a vehlcle ABSOLUTELY RELIES on the shock absorbers.
If they can't function as designed then the ABS doesn't know what to do.
FollowupID: 778487

Reply By: DesF - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 20:03

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 20:03
Hi, Not sure of you have leaf springs , but when I was a ARB dealer /fitter we found that the spring packs dry out and cause a stiffer ride , if they are not sagged out, a dismantle and re grease does wonders to the ride on the older leaf spring models
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 502120

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 14:16

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 14:16
I have the same car and now use Pirelli Scorpion ATR's although I am running 265 17" rims an the comofort of the car has improved dramatically. It's still a rough ride compared to a passenger car, like all Hilux's they ride better with some weight onboard.
AnswerID: 502154

Sponsored Links