VW Amarok

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 21:29
ThreadID: 99901 Views:6783 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Peoples,

I have a mate who is interested in getting a new Dual Cab and he was interested in the 2011 Amarok, but he now likes the new Auto version, all reports say that the 8 speed auto handles steep climbs very well and they are a very good off road vehicle. I know a couple of guys with the manual versions and they find them very good all round off road vehicles.

One other question he had, was can anyone tell him how the Amarok's go for fuel burn in sand like the simpson or coorong?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: palmy - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:18

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:18
Is he aware the auto comes without low range? We took one for a drive and it was very nice. VW say it doesn't need low range because 1st is so low and it has all the electronic gizmos to replace 'proper' low gearing.

I'm not sold on it and am looking at the Ranger instead.
AnswerID: 502142

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 15:11
Hi Glenn

The quality build of the VW is some of the best that we have seen and from what I have seen, they should be able to eat the Simpson type dunes for breakfast.

Back in August when we went to Maralinga, one of my party have his brother in law along for some of the section. It was not an Amarok, by the people mover converted into a camper van. It was the 2 litre turbo diesel/auto all wheel drive and it went like a cut snake.

Those that have travelled with me over the years will know that I like to get into the 4X4 mode early into my west coast trips, as I know a very nice sandhill that will catch out many drivers.

The only thing that made it hard for Allan was the lack of ground clearance, but once we filled in a lot of the ruts, the all wheel drive auto diesel went up the very big dune with ease.

The VW range of vehicles seemed to be overlooked by many and I would have no hesitations in trading in my Prado on one.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502155

Reply By: Member -Shakeejob - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 15:38

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 15:38
G'day Blaze,
Your mate ought to log on to Redbook and do a comparison with some of the other dual cabs, but just as an example, the BT50/Amarok stats look a bit like this:
BT50 about $5k cheaper but comes with all the bits, with Volkswagen you pay for every bit of extras you need (personal experience).
BT50 carries 5star ANCAP saftey rating, Amarok not yet tested.
BT50 147 KW, Amarok, 132Kw
BT50 470Nm torque, Amarok 420 Nm
BT50 braked towing 3350Kg, Amarok 3000kg

VW build may be a bit better, made in Argentina versus Thailand, but the service costs and accessories will blow the whole of life cost out of the water.

Travel well friend
AnswerID: 502156

Reply By: Norbar - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 20:59

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 20:59
Read 4x4 Australia, they are astonished how well the Amarok performs. I have a manual Highline with a ARB canopy. I have three young kids and the Amarok swallows three kids seats and is the only ute with 3 child anchor points.. I would suggest driving them all on the same day. I get about 8.0l per 100km city driving and 14 towing a Jayco Eagle. For more info check out the Ausamarok forum. I love this car, it has raised the bar by a mile for dual cab utes.

Good luck

Alex
AnswerID: 502178

Follow Up By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:09

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:09
I concur with your assessment Norbar.
The Amarok is a fantastic dual cab ute.
What is it, won 4WD ute of the year twice now.
Kev
FollowupID: 778558

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:36
Alex

I am looking at gettin a new Dual Cab to replace my old patrol.
I test drove a number of vehicles. The three best to drive were the Amarok, Navara ST-X and the BT50/Ranger in that order.

I will probably be getting the Amarok. Still waiting a quote.

It is good to hear from someone who owns and drives one.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779114

Reply By: Eric Experience - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:08

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:08
Blaze.
Interesting that the responders have not driven one. I have and can assure you the auto will run rings around any other ute for comfort and economy and the electronic traction control is superb on very steep slopes. The service costs may be slightly higher but that is a small price for owning the best. Eric
AnswerID: 502181

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:56

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:56
Hi Eric

You say "Interesting that the responders have not driven one" and "The service costs may be slightly higher but that is a small price for owning the best"

True I have not driven the Amarok, but I will say by the performance of our VW Golf TDi , it will kill any other vehicle in its class in every matter and as for service costs, if the Amarok is in the same manner as my diesel Golf, which it should, it is cheaper to service than my Prado.

I have a service interval of 7,500 km of the Prado, or 6 months which I do at 5000 kms and the Golf has a service interval of 15,000 or every 12 months. Even the Oil filters are cheaper for the Golf over the Prado.

VW have always made a great vehicle and like I said above, if and when I need to upgrade, the other manufactures would really have to pull a very big rabbit out of their hats to even temp me from buying an Amarok.

A very good friend of mine who was on my last trip and who's brother in law had the VW said that he would take Allans vehicle any time through the Simpson, and yes he knows a little about the Simpson and sand driving, as it is none other than John Deckert, author of the Westprint Range of Maps and has travelled extensively around Australia and knows first hand the full potential and ability of the VW.

I really love our Prado, and also having owned 4 Pajeros over a 18 year period which have all been great vehicles, but our Golf has made me seen that there are more than the other well known four wheel drives on the market.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 778566

Follow Up By: Member - Blaze - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 22:33

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 22:33
Thanks for the feedback Guys, I should have added my mate will be leasing, so servicing etc are not an issue. I personally think everything taken into account and the fact he works in a town with a dealership so that also isn't an issue :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 778568

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:39

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 21:39
Hi Blaze,

When I was in search of a new work ute I tested the Amarok and it ran rings around my Hilux on just about all occasions except the Toyota has dealerships everywhere and they have stood the test of time.

Because it was 120km each way (Dubbo) to get it serviced, I sadly gave it a miss.

I'm glad Mrs Wilko didn't get her dainty bottom in the Amarok as I wouldnt have got the Hilux if she had of, The ride quality is almost as good as my old Pajero.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 502184

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:38

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:38
One question , if Toyota's are so reliable , why is it necessary for there to be a dealer and SPARE parts division in every one horse town in Australia ?? Can't break'em ? Why all the Spare Parts !!
FollowupID: 778719

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:03

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:03
I'm glad they've got all the dealerships in everyone horse town cause that where I spend most of my time. Ive been caught before with a Pajero were I was getting a local dealership do the servicing because it was a 3 hour round trip to go to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership.

It went into limp home mode at Cobar in 40 degrees. I had an 8 hour road trip doing 40km/h top speed sweating my ring gear out to get to Dubbo to get it fixed.

It wasn't the Pajero's fault, They are a great unit, but the lack of dealerships hurt me big time.

If I had a VW dealer in Parkes, Id have one in an instant but wasting a day every 8 weeks to get it serviced means its not worth it.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 778722

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:15

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:15
Tongue in cheek , If real truth be told and not just brand bias Toyotaphiles would ask the same question " why do we in our 'unbreakable' Toyotas need all these spare parts dealers , would not be that the "unbreakable " breaks ??
FollowupID: 778727

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 23:59

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 23:59
I test drove an Amarok. Nice finish, big vehicle, it had alloy wheels and was told with those it was $53,000 No extras other than wheels.
During the drive I found it had little power down low and went well on road. Wasn't allowed to take it off road anywhere.
During the drive on take off I let out the clutch and it stalled. Something my Lcruiser never did. I thought oh, my mistake. Not used to this.
test drive, handled well, so it should, it is new.
As I arrived back at the dealers I went to turn in across the oncoming traffic, changed from 3rd to 2nd while still rolling. Engine stopped dead and clutch out stopped the vehicle in the path of all the traffic. Hit key. Won't start.
Fortunately I know Europe and turned key off and on and then to start. Then it started, clutch out and out of danger.
Nearly wrote off a new VW Amarok because of the stalling issue.
I walked away.
5 things:
Price.
Dealer availability of backup/parts when in the whoopies. no info available to find faults.
Stalled easy in two different situations.
Canbus electrics making it harder to do the things I want to do.
Towbar cost more than 2 1/2 weeks wages.

Any electrical probing causes shut down and VW tech to reprogram to get it going again.
Saw this happen where I bought a fibregalss canopy for another ute. New vehicle stopped in its tracks.
AnswerID: 502199

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:05

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:05
I test drove one as well and had it stall on me. I put it down to me being rusty and in a strange car because my current cars are autos, but apparently not? It was a big disappointment for me when VW released the auto without low range. I'm not buying one until the 8speed auto is proven to handle low range conditions without burning up the torque converter.
FollowupID: 778577

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 08:45

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 08:45
A nice new Amarok was in last years Australasian Safari (2012), I was really looking forward to seeing how it went, unfortunately it was withdrawn very early in the week long event ( I think it was the first day) I was told by another Official that the Clutch had expired. That was a shame as it would have been nice to see another Diesel type in the Event.
Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 778582

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 19:06

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 19:06
Ross,
Your post made me laugh! I also stalled one I was testdriving 3 months ago - also had to stop the traffic while I turned it off and restarted it. Also found it gutless. Departure angle with towbar was poor. You lose a fair bit of clearance with the sump guard fitted. The standard tyres are too small for a vehicle that big.

But I like VWs which is why my wife drives a German built Tiguan. It's still one of the nicest vehicles on the road and drives like a cut snake. The Amarok would be great if it came with the 3L Toureg motor.
FollowupID: 778663

Follow Up By: Jarse - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:12

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:12
How do you "burn up" a torque converter?
FollowupID: 778811

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 23:45

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 23:45
Drive up a really long and steep track in high range letting the torque converter carry the load similar to riding a clutch. The transmission fluid will get extremely hot and can damage to the box. It happens on auto cars without low range like XTrails. My Freelander 2 has a transmission temperature warning light for just such an occasion. Continual heavy soft sand driving can cause it too. I have wondered whether the auto Amarok has any warnings, some cars don't.
FollowupID: 778819

Reply By: Winner W - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:48

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:48
To one Amarok out of sand at Straddie last week. Bogged and couldnt engage reverse . Manual version. I had a 2011 Triton glxr but got a Ranger Wildtrak 3 months ago and it is awesome and leagues ahead of rest. Bt 50 dash looks better. 3.2 motor pleasure in city with 470nm torque at 1500rpm. Peak hour urban with aircon 9.2l/100km. Freeway got 6.7 @ 100km/h. Sand driving 11l/100km. Tow 2t trailer an 4 big boys and loaded at 140/kmh at 15 l/100kmh.
Colarodo looks ok ,Bt 50 not cheaper if you add on extras . Wildtrak worth the extra $4000 against the Xlt if you can wait 12 months.
Drivers seat in Wildtrack very comfortable.
Ranger is a winner.
AnswerID: 502222

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:06

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:06
What you need is a retro Kombi. Bugger these new models. LOL.

AnswerID: 502231

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:28

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:28
Only problem would be the ramp over angle ???? LOL.
FollowupID: 778717

Follow Up By: Jarse - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:14

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:14
I love Kombi's! The Leyland Bros took them a lot of places :D
FollowupID: 778812

Reply By: supa D - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:51

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:51
Hello fellow Members,
I purchased an Amarok in February 2012, fitted a canopy and several other extras. I loved the ride and the handling on the open road. What I couldn't get used to was having to ride the clutch excessively to tow even the lightest trailer or do hill starts, due to a severe lack of torque at low RPM. I broke a passenger side mirror reversing up a lane (my fault) and in the process of replacing the damaged part the dealer broke about 80% of the rivets retaining the door liner. Also the plastic tabs that hold the mirror shells together snapped which required purchasing the other half of the mirror. I have never seen such poor quality plastic. I wonder what several years in the Aussie sun will do for them. The final straw was when I was turning right at a main road intersection and let the revs drop a bit much and it bunny hopped and stalled right in the path of traffic. After that I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I ended up trading it on a Prado after 6 months. I did the deal out of town because my local Toyota dealer already had an Amarok on the lot. The Prado doesn't have quite as much power up high on the open road, but it never stalls and the quality is much better.
AnswerID: 502311

Follow Up By: Member - Blaze - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 02:19

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 02:19
Hey Supa,

Guess his choice to now go for an auto has just been validated by you :-) A diesel Mechanic mate of mine only owns Toyotas, he services a fleet of Colorado's for a council and has had to replace all the clutches on the 2012 models and had to do the same with his 2011 Hilux, his latest LUX is an Auto. He mentioned to me a few months ago that he believed that all manufacturers would eventually go to CVT. Constant Variable Tranny's like the Nissan Marano and Mitsubishi Lancer run. This allows even the smallest the cube diesel to always be in the sweat spot for KW and Torque.

FollowupID: 778690

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:02

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:02
How do those CVT's go if you want to drive them in manual mode? I have a 6 speed tiptronic that I run as a manual especially on hill descents and winding roads. Do they have any gears to go back to?
FollowupID: 778695

Follow Up By: Member - Blaze - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 13:25

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 13:25
I have driven a Murano Mike but that was a few years ago so can not comment on that. My Lancer has affectively a hi low ratio with 3 manual gears on each. Even in auto made coming down a hill you can feel it change back, if you go to Manual gate it works exactly the same as the Pajero, Magna, 380 TipTronics and you get the push into the seatbelt when you change down.

Of course IMHO the way of the future like it or not, all 4X4's I believe will come with some form of Hill Decent Control. Just one more reason I think I will keep my rig :-)

FollowupID: 778758

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 15:35

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 15:35
I've got HDC and I don't really like it that much although it's better than nothing. I gave my HDC a hiding in the High Country and the brakes went very hot, I could smell them and they started squealing. You can't beat selecting 1st (either in a manual or auto) low range and idling your way down. First gear in my Freelander 2 is not low enough for descents as there is no low range. The auto box and terrain response have effortlessly handled every ascent I've ever tried. I have doubts, could be wrong, that the auto Amorok's 1st gear is really low enough for a big descent without a low range box. I'm pretty confident it would handle the ascents though.
FollowupID: 778775

Sponsored Links