Dust getting in Cub Camper fridge vents

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 20:33
ThreadID: 99916 Views:3427 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently purchased a 2009 Cub Supamatic with a transcontinental pack, and plan to do an outback trip next month travelling on lots of dirt roads. We have been advised to seal the fridge vent while driving on dirt roads to prevent dust entry....wondering if it is still safe to operate the fridge with vent sealed, or will there be too much heat build up? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 22:47

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 22:47
Judy,

I presume it's a 3 way fridge. We had an Avan camper with a 3-way. I made dust covers for all the vents (5 in total - 2 for the fridge, one for the HWS exhaust, one for the battery vent, one for the door)

I found I could get away with leaving the fridge covers on if using 12V while towing. I had really heavy wiring and the fridge worked pretty well on 12V, but with the covers on it wasn't ideal. It worked but was not efficient and I removed them as soon as I could. I found the 12V did not generate enough heat to cause any damage.

Some people tow with the gas on. You shouldn't do that. But if you do you CANNOT use dust covers. There is too much heat from the gas exhaust and you will melt the upper vent.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502194

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 08:30

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 08:30
We take the fridge vent off, and place a piece of foam cut to size then replace the vent, a small amount of dust will still get in.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502211

Reply By: Gramps - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:06

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:06
Jude,

I've heard of people using auto air filters of the correct size being used if you're that worried about dust.

We had a major problem in the Sturt NP on a trip to Cameron Corner but that was because the b@##$y vent fell out and we did'nt notice till too late. I think CUB now screw the vents on rather than rely on a couple of flimsy plastic lugs.

Regards
AnswerID: 502236

Reply By: Member - Paul K - VIC - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:22

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:22
Judy

If the fidge is installed correctly no dust should enter the van /camper from the fridge vents.

Regards Paul
AnswerID: 502276

Sponsored Links