fuel carrier for spare wheel on Pajero rear

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:17
ThreadID: 99925 Views:5896 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi forumites,

Just wondering whether there is an accessory - a rack of some kind which fits onto or attaches to the spare wheel on the rear of the Pajero in which we could carry spare diesel in our approved 20 litre containers. I vaguely remember reading about some product like this but despite extensive searches, can't find any information anywhere on here or other sites.
Wiith the new Eaz lift towing set up on our van, we can't open the rear door of the Paj without unhitching...such a pain!
Hoping someone can help with this.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:03

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:03
Hi Heather,

Personally, I'd be VERY reluctant to add any addiitonal weight to a door mounted spare wheel carrier, if indeed that's what you're considering.

My understanding is that spare wheels which hang off big, side-mounted doors like that on the Paj or Land Rover Discovery are heavy enough on their own, without adding another 20-40kg to hang off the door-hinges as well (you DID say "containers", plural). Others have suggested that sagging of doors like these on their hinges is not uncommon, even without any additional load on the hinges, so I'd want to avoid that kind of grief.

While I can fully appreciate the problem you're trying to solve, maybe you could consider storing your containers where you can access them from the side of the vehicle - e.g. say between front and rear seats, or on folded-down rear seats, if you don't have a tribe occupying the back seat and you have a cargo barrier behind the front seat or your containers are securely anchored to the vehicle.

Of course, these are only my thoughts - I'm sure others will think differently.

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 502240

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:36

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:36
Thanks Charlie,

Yes I thought it would probably not be possible for the very reasons you have mentioned.

We had kind of decided to place them behind the front seats and access them from the side when necessary, as there are only two of us travelling...it will be a matter of re organising the gear which is carried in the vehicle I guess. We do have a cargo barrier but it is fitted behind the second row of seats and we prefer to keep any heavy items behind it for obvious reasons.
We don't have to carry them full much of the time so its only an issue sometimes.

thanks again,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778630

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:30

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:30
Hi Heather
You could take the seats out then put in a false floor. Have cutouts in this floor for your 20 ltrs containers, the floor only has to be built off the floor a small amount you carry other gear in tub, this way you can get to them through the side doors. Would show you pictures of what i mean but do not know to put them on this site. If you email me i'll send them to you. Have used this way for years without trouble.

regards
harvey
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502269

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:50

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:50
Thanks Harvey.

We are travelling with another couple - brother in law and sister - for the big (6 month) trip this year and they have a dual cab with canopy so we have decided to talk to them about putting fuel in the back of it when we need to carry it.
We don't really want to take out seats or start cutting into the floor...
Thought there might be a simpler option.

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778660

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:24

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:24
Hi Heather,

have you considered carrying a couple of jerry cans on the front or back of your van?

I have replaced the rear bar on my Landcruiser and I can carry two spare wheels. Last trip I replaced one of the wheels on the bar (placed it underneath in it's original position) with a 2 x jerry can holder.

Our is from Powerful 4x4 but it is on a bar designed to take that weight on the worst roads. It only takes steel jerry cans.

Here's a photo of it a bit over the designed load I think.

Have a great trip,

Steve
AnswerID: 502298

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:57

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:57
Haha..yes, just slightly over!
Can't see us doing that...we only have a Pajero, not a Cruiser!LOL

We don't want to add any extra weight either front or back on the van...thanks anyway.
(Although I AM keen on getting an ExplorOz garbage bag which slips over the rear wheel...very handy for carrying our rubbish out of National Parks without having to endure the smell!)
We'll only have to do it occasionally and can always ask the other couple to carry it in the rear of their dual cab, in return for me providing dampers and other culinary delights!

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778677

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 21:14

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 21:14
I'd carry your fuel for damper and goodies.

The bag is handy for so many things.

We can get a night's worth of fire wood in it, good for dirty snatch straps, garbage, skulls, clothes.

Our's isn't Exploroz but they're all made really strong.

Hoo roo,
Steve.
FollowupID: 778678

Sponsored Links