Can anyone tell me which is the best oil filter for my vehicle,
also has anyone had any experiance with bypass filters and are they nessesary,
or can they cause problems ?

Cheers
DANNY J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:24

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:24
to work out the "best" oil filter, you'll be relying just on advertising blurb and peoples "I use these and my car hasnt "blown up". Just use quality factory, Baldwin or Ryco etc.

Bypass filters-of course they arent a "necessity", or thered be no Nissans/Toyotas making 500K without them.
They are handy, maybe more so if your vehicle is a little tired. Most big engines have them but Im not sure what exactly it is that you want to know about them-they shouldnt cause any problems other than increasing the oil capacity somewhat and thats about it?
AnswerID: 502255

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:50

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:50
The 4.2 TD comes with twin oil filters anyway so I doubt whether you would need a bypass system.

Cheers
AnswerID: 502274

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 22:25

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 22:25
Danny J B
Sakura filters are made for most vehicles. They are OE quality or better.
Sakura supplies many filters for vehicle manufacturers and in many cases look identical although perhaps a different colour. Dmax OE and Sakura have the same pressing marks in the same places. Zachary the same physical size too.
Suzuki motorcycle filters also look and have the same numbers and machine press marks created during manufacture.
I NEVER use Ryco after cutting up and comparing the construction and area with some others.
Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleet guard would also be suitable.

You shouldn't need a bypass filter as it uses oil pressure and you have two filters anyway.
If you change them then all should be as the designer intended.
Using GOOD quality oil is the key to having oil stay clean for longer as it seals rings and lessens the rate of blowby burnt residue contamination so oil stays cleaner for longer.
If you don't use ( in no specific order) Mobil Delvac MX, Caltex Dello 400 or Shell Rimula X the you probably aren't keeping your oil as clean as it can be for as long as possible.
AnswerID: 502308

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 18:45

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 18:45
AMEN, Halelulua and sing up brother, I don't think they can hear you at the back.

I'll back you will the bass line brother.

Brothers and sisters, when you start buying where the truckies do, you will done be converterd.

You will buy better for less and be happy about it.

Another vote for the Sakura filters....Sakura are a very big and quality focused concern...googe em if you like..they do lots of OEM and make for alot of other brands.

Fleetguard is very well regarded in the heavy transport business.

Likewise Donaldson

Bypass filters are realy a hang over from the 70's.....oil and filters have come a way since then......in the 70's and 80s ya saw lots of em oh heavy vehicles...not so much these days.

If ya worried about ya need for filtration chanage ya filter mid way thru ya oil change period........ya oil will probably outlast ya filter.

As for the top 3 diesel oils listed above, they are tp shelf but cost a hell of a lot less beause of the volume the truckies use em in.

The only concern I would have is the specifics of the gass involved......When in doubt ring or email the oil company and ask if their diesel spec oil is suitable for gass.

All 3 above are designed as mixed fleet oils so they run in pterol engines very well TVM

OH and cutting up a few oil filters is an education.....I cut open my oil filter most oil changes

cheers
FollowupID: 778803

Follow Up By: Member - Danny John B (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 19:23

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 19:23
Hi Ross,
The oil I use is Nulon 15W-40 High Protection Diesel Formula Engine Oil,
is this OK !!

Cheers
Danny J
FollowupID: 778808

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 00:44

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 00:44
Ya probablly paying too much for an oil that does not spec up as well as any of the top 3....the top 3 are very close and very competitive.

I've looked and its a fair diesel spec oil.... but Dello 400 multigrade outspecs it across the board, Rimula and Devlac in a sililar grade will do likewise.

If ya paying more than $100 for a 20 litre, you are paying too much.

Remember the top 3 are made by major oil copmanies

Look for the JASO DH1 spec as a minimum.

cheers
FollowupID: 778823

Follow Up By: Member - Danny John B (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 21:58

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 21:58
Hi To The Bantam,
I have heard of Rimula Oil before, but not the other two.
Where can you buy these oils ?
I live in Halls Gap Victoria, the nearest main towns are Horsham, Hamilton, Ararat & Stawell.

Cheers
Danny J
FollowupID: 778938

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 00:56

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 00:56
Rimular is Shells long standing diesel oil brand....open almost any trucking mag and there will be at least 1 full colou,r full page add for it

Dello is Caltex

Devlac, the best of the 3 by a very short nose is, Mobil

I've been seeing Rimular in some of the auto retail shops of late.
And I did see Devlac in a cataloge a while ago

Various different diesel parts shops will align with one of the 3 or Castrol..... Castrol Rx super is very popular and is no slouch, but its not up with the top 3..Castrol is owned by BP as is Valvoline...my view is that valvoline is BPs cheap oil brand.
All the rest lag behind in either price or quality or both.

I buy my Dello from the local Caltex fuel depot that services trucks, I did buy it from my local Caltex servo, but they cant do a good price.

Some of the Caltex truck stops will do a good price on Dello.

the strory will be similar with Shell and Mobil

Its just a case of searching out a good supply near you...and depending where you are or who represents who in town...that may influence which of the 3 or Castrol that you buy.

Here is a tip...you want to buy where the truckies shop and from a dealer that has drums on the floor.
AND....sometimes you wont get the best price over the phone...you have to walk in...it helps not to look too clean and soft.

cheers
FollowupID: 778946

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:21

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:21
I would highly recommend the filter that fits your Patrol to be the best one, any leading brand is fine...... cost difference is very little.

If you want to fork out the extra $$$$ for a bypass filter system I would do it..... but for me it's a waste of money, why do you think you need a bypass filter system?

Are you a new dad? and this is your new baby?
AnswerID: 502320

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:02

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:02
I have a bypass filter, it filters down to 1 micron where the spin on is probably 40 micron if you are lucky. If you run them on a petrol engine , the oil colour stays the same as when you pour it in, even 10,000ks later. With diesel, it does go black because of the carbon in the oil from the combustion process but the oil is clean. If the oil is perfectly clean, it must be better for wear if you intend to keep your vehicle for the long haul as i have so far. The other benefit is that you can extend your oil changes and your spin ons life, this can save you a lot of cash. It recirculates about a litre a minute so can clean all the oil in a few minutes. The unit i have uses a tightly wound toilet roll style filter and is about $7 each and i change it every 5000ks. I change the oil and spin ons every 10,000ks. I hope this helps! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502390

Follow Up By: Member - Danny John B (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:05

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:05
Hi Michael,
I have heard that there are a lot of feed pipes involved in a bypass filter
which can get hooked up if you start doing any off road driving, what can you advise ?

Cheers
Danny J
FollowupID: 778939

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 18:35
Hi Danny, With everything you add to a vehicle, you have to use some commonsense. There are two small rubber hoses running from the filter and these can be tied to other cables that run from the firewall or inner guards to the engine. There are plenty of vunerable parts that are exposed to sticks etc. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779134

Sponsored Links