2007 Toyota Hilux high Klms

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 06:42
ThreadID: 99943 Views:3549 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Ok so I am planning a trip with my son in peak season June to Sept for a 100 day trip. Bearing in mind I will sell the car again after 4 months and be back off to the UK I don't want to spend to much. That being said I want to ensure I have a reliable car that would give me problems in the middle of nowhere.

So I have seen a Toyota Hilux Dual Cab for sale 2008 SR for only 20k from a car dealer. The klms is worrying though at 220k is that to high in your opinion ???

The car has nothing other than a canopy and bullbar so I will add draws, lift and suspension upgrade and a snorkel and a long range tank and roof rack. That's it. I will only be doing kakadu litchfield and Gibbs river road to Mitchell Plateau and Bungle Bungles, so I don't think I really need diff locker for that do I ? Obviously I will put brand new all terrain tyres etc.

But will a Hilux with full service history stand up ok with 220k already on the clock?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 07:50

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 07:50
G'Day,
I have had various model Hilux's for years. Good choice of vehicle for touring. Plenty of spares available because they are pretty popular over here.
I have been to all the places you plan on going & worked up in the Kimberley for a while using my Hilux to go out on some pretty remote station tracks. No need for Diff locks.
As for the Km's on that vehicle thats fine. My latest Hilux is up to 320,000 km & never misses a beat. Having said that the key to a good vehicle is having it correctly serviced at the specified interval. I would rather buy a well serviced vehicle thats got 200,000 km on it than a neglected one with 100,000 on the clock. In particular make sure the correct coolant has been used & the cooling system is 100% (no rust etc). it can get pretty hot up there.
Enjoy your trip.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 502317

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:00

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:00
I noticed you mentioned getting a suspension lift. While I have a lift on my current Hilux I feel you would be wasting your money paying for a suspension lift for a 4 month trip. Just make sure the shockers are good or change them if you like & save your money for the lift towards your trip.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 778694

Follow Up By: UKSkippy - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:22

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:22
Thanks.will I get to mitchell falls etc without a lift??
FollowupID: 778742

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:53

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:53
Yep.
Just make sure you always know where your wheels are tracking on the ground.
Conditions can change depending on the prior wet season so just check with the locals when you get in the vicinity. Be carefull of travellers advice because they can at times tell you that conditions are worse than they actually are. A lot of it comes down to taking it easy & not rushing trying to do unrealistic daily milages.
FollowupID: 778752

Reply By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 09:02

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 09:02
If you plan on selling it I wouldn't be wasting your $$$ putting a long range tank in it, this wont be cheap unless you pick one up off fleabay ?? Don't think you will see any change from $1500 for a good quality one eg loneranger I just throw some jerry cans on the tray myself will be enough to get you out of trouble. Suspension, if its the standard gear I personally would be changing it over to say OME (heaps of different brands out there)

This is very important especially if your going to be carying a decent load, last thing you want is a snapped rear leaf spring, stuffed shock or the like but check to make sure of whats in there already, may have been updated when the bull bar was put on ?? but if its done 200 thou and its the original then I would 100% replace it.

200 thou is nothing providing its been serviced. As mentioned above Id rather buy something with higher klms and well serviced then low klms but no service history. Also I'm presuming its the D4D turbo diesel you are looking at ??

If so make sure you get a mechanic to put a camera up the sump plug hole and check the wire gauze on the pick up. These and the D4D in the prados are clogging up from leaking injector seals and this is with oil changes on a regular 5k be very wary of this as obviously you will know what will happen if the pick up gets blocked, boom !!!

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-and-advice/q-and-a/prado_injector_seals/

I can provide you with pictures of before and after shots of the pick up if you like ??

Cold start rattle is fairly common on most of the current diesel's and quiten down when they warm up unless excessive then it may need to be checked to make sure their running with in the specs (done dealership or a well set up diesel shop workshop).

Injectors roughly are $800 each and non servicable so some thing if you are buying from a dealer to be checked so you can get under warranty if available (some thing to check up on)

Good luck with it all and hope you have a great trip ...........
AnswerID: 502323

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 09:45

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 09:45
They didn't say whether the vehicle was Diesel or not while I have a preference for diesels (good low down Torque & economy) a petrol would be fine for the trip also. Good point about the Diesel injector seals but I had a feeling Toyota addressed the issue on new vehicles at about this time. Certainly worth checking though.

Have to agree about long range tank. Lot of cash to spend for 4 months. A few Jerry cans should do fine.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 778704

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:05

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:05
Hi there Stu, read second post down in the link ?? I thought the issue had been rectified as well with new seals but obviously not !!!.....Seems to be ongoing. I havnt read the whole thread but there is possibly more I would say ........Cheers

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?23041-Stats-on-injector-problems-with-the-1KD-FTV/page16&highlight=injector+seals
FollowupID: 778707

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:06

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:06
Sorry third one down by talktheroo
FollowupID: 778709

Follow Up By: UKSkippy - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:28

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:28
So I was thinking by chucking in 1500 for a long range tank and 2000 OME and 600 snorkel that would reflect back in the sale price in 4months time would it not?
FollowupID: 778744

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:45

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:45
No mate, in fact a lot of dealers restore them to standard to sell them.Although if I am looking at two identical vehicles but one has a b/bar then of course I will buy the one with a b/bar. Most importent accesory in Aust.
FollowupID: 778748

Reply By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:20

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:20
Check its prior history very carefully, it has av over 50000ks per year, so may be and exrental. It may still have a bar code on it, if it was. A lot of the smaller co wuill have it under their holding company name, not their trading name.
The other problem I see is the injectors could be getting towards the end of their life. Years ago it as normal to replace injectors before 200000ks, but no one seems to know how long theses new injectors last.
The good thing about luxes is they are the easiest vehicle to sell, but values have taken a tumble lately as heaps of ex mine veghicles are getting returned.
Enjoy your self Pete
AnswerID: 502337

Follow Up By: UKSkippy - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:31

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:31
This was an ex fleet vehicle ?? Is that bad? Great service history though..
FollowupID: 778745

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:53

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:53
Well it depends, it may have had 100 diff drivers, or it may have had one. OK with a supposely great service history , how do you know the vendor did not get dodgy bros to stamp the entire book. You need to examine it very carefully, look for smudgy pages, diff pens, diff hand writing. Of course it may be perfectly legit. Most big fleets push the service interval out to 20000ks.
If it was me I would be looking for a one owner, one driver vehicle even if quite a bit older. Precommon rail Hiluxs where hard to kill with and axe. Thats pre 2005. But are slower and use more fuel.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 778751

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:39

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:39
Assuming it has been properly serviced and not abused I wouldn't have any qualms over that # of km. Unfortunately I don't know how well you can ascertain the care of the previous owner(s).
My present Pajero has over 230 000km on it in 5 years and has shown no sign of performance (& fuel economy) deterioation. Unlike Toyos, Pajeros services are only required every 15000km as well!
There are posts on this forum (80 matey?) of people doing more "rugged" trips than you in their 80 series LC with well over 400 000km on the clock and no problems, then there are people with near new vehicles having problems.
The cheapest insurance (not prevention) you can get is the premium care package from the AA club of WA, will cost you about $150-200 for 12 months. That is one thing I would be buying well before anything else you have mentioned above.
AnswerID: 502338

Reply By: Member - Royce - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 18:14

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 18:14
If it's diesel then it's barely run in!

Why bother with lift, long range tanks, snorkel?... Big expenses for a trip around Oz.

A Hilux will take you wherever you want with no problems.

The only problem is if you need the extra range and can't carry a couple of jerry cans because you are sleeping in the back?

I reckon a roof top tent or even a couple of igloo tents and use the back to carry whatever you need.

These vehicles are familiar in the outback and spare parts available usually.

Communications are more important... maybe spend the dollars you save on not adding the extras for a couple of night's comfort now and then.
AnswerID: 502378

Follow Up By: UKSkippy - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:26

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 20:26
Rooftop tent is exactly what I'm intending to do.

Ok so no draws now no long range tank but I will be keeping food and water in the back though? Is there not a danger putting fuel cans in the back as well?
FollowupID: 778813

Follow Up By: Member - Royce - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 22:36

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 22:36
Food containers sealed, fuel containers sealed....assuming that the canopy is not entirely airtight... any fumes would dissapate if they were released. Alternately have some mounts put on the back for a couple of jerry cans.

If you are going to sell the vehicle at the end of the trip, any 'extras' will not increase the price much.
FollowupID: 778817

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 08:48

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 08:48
Good advice from Royce here.
I always carry water & fuel in Jerry cans in my current Hilux in the rear tub section (I have a canopy). I have the 20L fuel cans & 20L water drums across the forward section of the tub near the cab. They fit together nicely between the wheel arches.
I do this so that I am not carrying too much weight behind the rear axle. That way the weight tends to be shared between front & back.

It's a bit of a pain to get at them but usually I only need to get at them in camp. I carry some smaller 10L water drums for use in the day & they are more accessible. Never a problem with fumes if the seals are good.

If you don't go for a drawer system get some good quality plastic tubs to carry things in. Corrugations will have your things all over the place if all your items are not snuggly packed in.
FollowupID: 778834

Reply By: Chris b23 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 19:36

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 19:36
No that is not a high price consdering it is a solid car for such long trip
AnswerID: 502389

Reply By: Chris b23 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 03:48

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 03:48
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Spamming Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 502405

Sponsored Links