Wind in the Simpson

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:20
ThreadID: 9995 Views:1562 Replies:10 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip across the simpson in June/July and I was just wondering what the wind will be like. Is it gale force, a little breezy, or dead still !!!
Cameron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:43

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:43
How long is a piece of string??

I have seen some weird questions on this forum but yours must rate one of the weirdest. How on earth can you tell what the weather is going to be like in 6 months time? Evebn the weather forecasters get it wrong. Why would you want to know anyway?

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 44228

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:34

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:34
Well Willem it also depends on the width of the string, and general weather trends are whats being sought I thinkIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 306473

Follow Up By: nickoff - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:01

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:01
I thought it might be diet related.
Too many beans could make it verry windy.
Too much chili could make it hot.
Inproper food storage and preperatrion could make it wet and stormy.

Just mt thoughs

Nick.
FollowupID: 306481

Follow Up By: Dmitri - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 14:55

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 14:55
Willem,

The questions is pretty normal and it's about the weather pattern during the particular time of the year.

Cameron, have a look at the BOM site:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/

Cheers,

Dmitri.
FollowupID: 306490

Follow Up By: Cameron - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:54

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:54
Sorry Willem, must have got you on a bad day!!! it was only generalities that I was after as the onther response picked up on
Cameron
FollowupID: 306498

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:16

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:16
My sarcastic remark aside :-)....I am still interested why you would want to know what the wind was doing in the desert......

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 306506

Follow Up By: Cameron - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:04

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:04
Willem
We will be travelling very light, all six of us in dome tents, thought I might take a tarp and rig it as a shelter off the car, but if the general consensus was that is was going to be consistently very windy I would not bother, that all
Cameron
FollowupID: 306557

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:01

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:01
Thanks Cameron.........now, what are you going to do? Take the tarp which is bulky and takes up more space or leave it at home? Decisions decisions.....thats what life is all albout.

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306585

Reply By: Member - Peter [SA] - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:46

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:46
Wind could be anything, but it is generally the friendlier time of year weather wise. I crossed last april, was breezy but still around 28- 30 degrees.
AnswerID: 44230

Reply By: patroljockey - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 21:33

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 21:33
it all depends on what u ate the night before. curry, a protein shake and prunes = gale force
AnswerID: 44235

Reply By: Member - Trevor - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 21:54

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 21:54
Cameron - We have been there in June/July and the wind was not a problem. It was very still and the days were nice and warm and the nights very cold. Trev
AnswerID: 44240

Reply By: StephenF - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:17

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:17
There shouldn't be much wind at all. The average winter position of the Sub-Tropical Ridge is across the centre of the continent (this gives the northern Dry Season) and winds under the ridge should be light.

Stephen
(retired weather person)
AnswerID: 44242

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:38

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:38
you mean the sub tropical jet-stream?If you hold your heart and focus,
FollowupID: 306474

Follow Up By: StephenF - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 23:15

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 23:15
No, I mean the sub-tropical ridge. Unless Cameron is crossing the Simpson at 35000ft the sub-tropical jetstream shouldn't worry him too much.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 306532

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:59

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:59
Thanx Stephen, but you never know...with a good run up...some of those dunes.........If you hold your heart and focus,
FollowupID: 306552

Reply By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:15

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:15
With more than a dozen Simpson trips under my belt over 20 years, across all the different routes as well as a time span from May through to October and in all types of weather here are my comments.
In the months you propose it will be normally pleasant during the day with enough breeze to shift the dust, daytime temps from teens through to mid twenties. At night it can get quite cold and even the slightest breeze will have a big wind chill factor. The normal winds are usually from the southern arc and will be cool if you are out of the sun.
If there is a strong change coming through you may get very strong winds and a full blooded sand/dust storm, if you sit tight it will blow over though.
If you happen to get wet weather (which usually comes through from the NW early in the travelling season) it will be max mid teens, wind chill will be high. If you do get caught by wet weather, find a low dune and camp on the sand, water drains away readily. The swales are not to the place to be if it is wet, the clay becomes bottomless! Sit tight for a couple of days and let the weather keep going, it never hangs around much out there. There is absolutely no point in travelling west to east with the weather front you will damage the tracks and be permanently wet and cold.
Allow enough time for a liesurely crossing (4 days+) after all you have probably driven thousands of k's and spent hundreds of $'s to get there! Take the time to stop and go for a walk and experience the desert away from the vehicle.
AnswerID: 44252

Follow Up By: Cameron - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:52

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:52
Peter
Thanks for you comments. For all of us (three families) it will be a first crossing, and everyone we have spoken too says dont rush. We are all on time contraints (School hols etc) but are planning 4-5 nights for the crossing,
Thanks again
Cameron
FollowupID: 306497

Reply By: Ridgy - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:31

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:31
Amen to Peter's comment re take your time...now that I've been around awhile, I have come to realise that on some of those early trips, we got little environmental appreciation for our fuel dollar. I've only been to the edge of the Simpson, but its amazing how many critters get out and about at night. Get up early and go for a good stroll in the dunes before breakfast. In the vegetated areas, you will find hoards of critter tracks.Drag me away from this keyboard.
AnswerID: 44259

Reply By: Ruth - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:43

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:43
Peter's reply is excellent. Willem must be feeling off colour - the weather question is oft asked, nearly as much as the almost daily question of "What will the road condition be from Marree to Birdsville in July holidays?" Another tip - there usually is not wind in the Simpson at that time of year, but if there is, dome tents do not like wind and have been seen floating across the landscape like roly-polys. Should a sudden big wind come up, drop your tents and put your heavy stuff on them to anchor. Always plan to make camp at 4:00 - 4:30 with time for games with the kids and chores for the kids - remember they are stuck int he car with seat-belts on (very necessary) for hours on end, your average speed might be 25 klms per hour. I'm a great believer in not allowing game-boys etc. when travelling in the SD - too much to see and do for those inside games - apart from quite a few children get motion sickness - again, too much clothing inside, rocking and rolling over the dunes, sun coming in the windows, not drinking enough water (too many fizzy drinks). Geez, I sound like Mary Poppins, the nanny. Go to the Trek Notes on this site - they are excellent - and the children may be old enough to do some of the navigating and plotting - time to learn the old compass thing - use maps - gosh, wish I was going with you. Bit of preparation now and even the kids will have the time of their lives. All that hunterand gatherer stuff - the real stuff is heaps better than TV. Yes I am getting old and yes I'm one of those still smiling about the Post the other day on The Good Old Days!
AnswerID: 44287

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:32

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:32
Hello Ruth....no, not really off colour, but trying to make sense of why people are so obsessed with weather patterns and road conditions and what lies ahead syndrome......I suppose, that because I've been there and done that, I am critical of the questions being asked or perhaps the way they are asked...maybe I should ease off a bit and console myself with the fact that the younger generations have been brought up with what they have been told by the media and are insecure in their approaches to life and that they need affirmation that they are going to be OK if they venture beyond the perimeters of the Big Smokes or Little Smokes for that matter. There seems to be no sense of adventure just the fact that we have to go out there to see what everyone else is experiencing. We read very little of the attributes of the bush except what has been posted in this thread on the variety of "critter" (americanism) tracks to be found on the dunes in the early morning.

Hope you are enjoying the floodout and are catching some fish and I hope too that some of the waters reach down south as far as the lake.

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 306508

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:28

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:28
Lex always asks me if i saw the weather report if she misses it & i just say it will be what it is in the morning when you get up. As to wind in SD, when we were there 2 years ago a southerly blow come through 1 night & blew mates tarp away , it was funny watching him chase it @ 2 in the morning. But apart from that & the camels trapesing through camp it was great .Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306564

Reply By: Ruth - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:19

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:19
Hello Willem, lovely to hear from you. I thought you might have been away having an adventure this weekend. I must be getting older as I agree with you about the questions - daily thing here. Just been for an early fishing trip - couple of BIG blackbream - the river has not changed since last night. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the water could get to the Lake - I believe 2000 and flying over the Lake for close on 5 hours up and down the river systems and the SD was my most memorable thrill (geez, I've had a sad life!!!). Still no rain here, in the SD or on the western side though. Here's another one of those things, Willem, yesterday a young German couple came into town via Innamincka and going to the SD - why, to see how hot it is. That's standard answer for summer visitors. (They have been dissuaded from venturing too far). Saturday night at sunset a rescue had to be performed at Big Red - a large throbbing F350 bogged and bogged, ho hum. By the way the western side of Big Red is vertical at the moment. Talk soon.
AnswerID: 44333

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 14:50

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 14:50
Hello again Ruth.....no, I am lucky that weekends do not spell out anything for me any longer....I like to disappear during the week when the hordes have disappeared back to their jobs and safe havens. It is great not having to go to work but I am so busy that I sometimes wonder how I ever had time to work!!! :-)

Cheers,Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306582

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 15:16
Hi Ruth & Willem
Hope you don't mind me cuting across your personal messages but I pick up all sorts of "between the lines" tips from these little ramblings. I'm supposed to be getting all my tax papers sorted out for the accountants at the moment but find it hard to concentrate as I'm planning a SD trip in a couple of months with good friends. The mind just keeps wandering.

Willem, I understand your point. Can't people just sit down, use a little imangination and plan a trip knowing that they are going bush and to expect a few hardships. Gee the worst that can happen these days is that they might get delayed for a few days, if thats going to create problems then the planning was not correct. Wind, sandstorms, rain, floods, cold, hot, it's all part of the adventure, just to cross these areas is a battle with Mother Nature in whatever form. I really admire the courage of the real explorers who walked these lands with a string of camels having absolutely no idea of what lay ahead. I read Ion Idriess. We have it so easy with maps, computers, GPS etc, and someone wants to know if the wind is going to blow. I'm with you, "Bah Humbug".

Ruth, besides the 'critters' they talk of that wander the sandhills, the characters and codgers that live "out there" are awesome. I'd love to share a cuppa and a yarn if I knew where to find you. That's if it's Ok with you. After all it looks like we are going to be playing in your backyard. My email is: cocka2000@optusnet.com.auCarpe Diem
FollowupID: 306667

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:22

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:22
The old saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure" can be applied to the questions. It may be blatently obvious to some but one of life's unanswered questions to another.Dare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 44348

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 14:53

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 14:53
I do think that like Mr Eskimo, you should go easy on the red...............old blokes can get lots of gout from overindulgence ...........hahahaha

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306583

Sponsored Links