Towing with a 2.5 diesel 6 speed 2008 Navara.

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 19:04
ThreadID: 99971 Views:8378 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, Has anyone towed a big van with a 6 speed Nissan Navara 2.5 diesel? 2008, By a big van I mean....21 footer maybe 2.5 tonne to 3 tonne. What's the vehicle like regarding pulling power,stopping etc....what gear do you tow in....I know with a 5 speed box I usually tow in fourth & leave 5th alone....so,I assume 5th in a 6 speed should be OK but leave 6th alone. I know what the maximum a Navara can tow is 3 tonne & ball weight 300kg but sometimes what appears fine my not be in reallity. I would appreciate any info about the Navara 6 speed manual & yes I know the clutch can be a problem. Thanks for any input. Robert.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eric t - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 20:03

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 20:03
hi there we have a 08 navara which wore the input shaft bearing at 62000 klm 8 of them was towing 2.7 ton van .fuel was about 20 liter to the hundred seem to go okay but hard to take off with that high gearing that they have.going back to the gearbox i dont know what caused the bearing to give out but possible high oil temps along with operating in 6th gear which you should be able to do .hope this helps. eric the truckie
AnswerID: 502472

Reply By: the redbacks - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 20:24

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 20:24
Hi NTVRX
I have a manual 6 speed D40, have towed a Lotus track Van off rd now for three years, with 110,000 Klms on the clock we have never had any problems, on a good straight road i will sit on an average of 95 to 105 Klms hr in 5th NEVER in 6th.
Must admit, the only issue is pulling away in 1st, have to ride the clucht on a very small incline, although not very good in any soft sand or heavy wet ground for pulling away at start.

miroku 12g
AnswerID: 502473

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 23:00

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 23:00
The high 1st gear in the manual is why an auto is far better for use as a tug. 1st gear in the manual is 4.692 : 1. The auto has a loratio of 3.827 1 but when you add the effect of the torque converter you have an effective ratio of over 7.5 : 1.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 778942

Reply By: Smouch - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:38

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:38
A friend of mine tows a camper with a manual D40 and so far, no issues. I own a manual D40 myself and personally I would not tow a van of that size with it. As tourer with moderate off roading there fine. I brought the truck with the intention as a weekender, carting light loads around locally and personal transport, for that purpose, for me, it's perfect but as a tow vehicle forget it. Geared to high, the 400Nm+ of torque is great but in order to screw that out it I think they trade off a bit of down low grunt. Add to that the DM flywheels and it's not a good combo.
AnswerID: 502491

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:53

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:53
A 2.5 Litre Nissan is too light for towing a 3 tonne Van.
Have a mate towing a 3 tonne van with a chipped up 3 litre Nissan – he still has to slip and jump the clutch with starts with on an incline.
AnswerID: 502492

Reply By: graham B9 - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:39

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:39
I commend you for asking such a question. Many people would not and it is not for me to say if it is too small. You will have some say no and other yes. I work for a caravan manufacturer and see lots of vans. I have had a 19 Lotus, 22.5 Kedron and a 25ft Retreat. Towed with a 100, 200TD, F250TD. Just to let you know where I come from.

My ruler for a tow vehicle is to be in this situation. Imagine you are towing your van down the Pacific Highway new Nambucca Heads on a windy and wet day. It is bucketing down with rain and the highway there is 1 lane either direction and no divider. A B double is coming the other way and your closing speed is 200 kilometers an hour. 100 in either direction. (Clever people will say it is 80 there but some parts of it are 100). Imagine how hard your vehcile and caravan will be to control when the truck passes the it sucks your van to the wrong side of the road. Is your towing vehicle big enough to control the van? You have to plan for the worst situation you will encounter.
AnswerID: 502497

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 17:24

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 17:24
That is so well put Graham, we just completed a stretch of highway 1 from Adelaide to Brisbane. Very hilly in places. Another example we had a Jayco Destiny 17" outback and towed it with a 92 GXL T/D Cruiser. It was horrible with taking off on a hill. We purchased a Basestation as we go trail riding so our bikes fit in well. To tow this nearly 3ton we bought a 76 series Wagon. Yeh the pulling power was there but it felt like it was floating or another way of putting it it felt like the wheel base wasn't wide enough. I didn't feel safe towing. So we ended up trading on a 200 series. I can tell you we got bagged for doing so but it feels more stable. So with that we are safer and so is everybody else next to us. So back to the trip our 80 set up would have struggled through those hills in a huge way I would imagine anything less would be worse.
FollowupID: 779013

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:34

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:34
The smaller the engine the less torque it will have down low and the harder it has to work.

If it's a manual the standard clutch is way to small and can cause issues on lift off on hills.
AnswerID: 502500

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:25

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:25
All too often people fail to understand that MAXIMUM towing ratings are just that.....this is why we have so many fundamantally unstable combinations on the road that are not capable or safe at highway speeds.

Also with the modern, high towing capacity, vehicles...check the fine print.....mostly to tow maximum towing capacity you need to drasicaly reduce the load carried in the tow vehicle.......some you'll end up with no more than two blokes and their lunch.
Remember the ball weight also come off the tow vehicles load allowance.

ALSO...have a look arround, there are plenty of pictures and reports of these modern high tow rating utes, particularly dual cabs with bent rear chasis.

There is no free lunch and ya cana change the laws of physics.....when the trailer weighs more than the tow vehicle...there is an issue.

BTW folks...if you have a 4wd and you are having difficulty getting off the mark in 1st high.....drop into low range.....most 4wds you will be able to shift from low to high while rolling.....first high should line up with about 3rd low.

So start in 1st or second low.....from second low, clutch down, back to 1st and low to high, clutch back up....if its a part time 4wd best to have the hubs unlocked

cheers
AnswerID: 502517

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:36

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:36
Clutch down, change gear, clutch up – Bantam you forgot to tell them when to use the accelerator.
FollowupID: 778974

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 14:43

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 14:43
I forgot to mention - this is not for the faint hearted in the Toyota 70 series – the transfer case doesn’t change that smoothly. The following is the recommended method for the Troopy.
Start moving in low range then - 2 hands lifting the Low Range lever - clutch in – teeth on the steering wheel – clutch out – hands back on the wheel – S**t missed it, rolling backwards – foot on brake. Start again …………………
Cheers Dennis
FollowupID: 778992

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 17:29

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 17:29
Light turned red bugger, now there is a family portrait for your wall.
FollowupID: 779014

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:18

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:18
It may work better in some vehicles than others...if your transfer case shifts easily #1 and will shift from low to high while moving this will work.

you amy have to fiddle with shifting the gearbox or the tranny first

It works very well in my hilux.

Oh and shifting low to high..is a very different thing than shifting the other way.

This is not something tom try if you have not proven that it works well in your vehicle and you have practiced it.

If I am manovering a trailer with the 4WD, I will generally do it in low range, it just makes things easier.

cheers

FollowupID: 779043

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:43

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:43
I'm an old fart - maybe a younger fitter person will handle the shift in a Troopy more easily.
I’ve practiced changing low to high on the move, sometimes I jag it often I don’t. Would never go the other way, high to low, for the risk of stripping the gears.
If in a difficult situation in low range I wont change to high until I’m out of trouble.
FollowupID: 779056

Reply By: mike g2 - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:37

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:37
Hi ntvrx, have driven the navara manual as a 4by a few yrs ago, but not towing a van. nice vehicle. if you have a choice,go up a bit and try towing with a n. patrol diesel tdi 2.5-3L I had a manual one and used normal range gearing with a van .
its a dream. brilliant on its own as a 4by ( cant bog it)and i also towed with a jayco 18' poptop (over 2 ton) for 2-3 yrs, hardly knew van was there!. but..made the mistake once of riding the clutch reversing van up a small incline-coudnt beleieve I burnt it! ..lotsa$.
lucky was covered by repair/maintenance/servicing agreement on a lease. personally, poptops are good because you can reduce your tow profile.lots of info avail in public domain on towing- vehicle to tow weight ratios etc..I am sure you would consider added weight of contents/load,water in tank ( 1Kg to a L ).
MG.
AnswerID: 502531

Reply By: splits - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:05

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:05
Robert

Have a look at these two links. They explain in a lot more detail what Graham, OId Girl and Bantam have said.
http://rvsupertramp.com.au/Portals/0/galleries/articles/caravan_dynamics_cw.pdf
http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/pdf/vehicle_dynamics_complete.pdf

If you contact car manufacturers, not dealers, they will tell you their advertised towing weight is the maximum possible in good highway conditions and should be reduced for off road and sandy surfaces. Those utes will tow their advertised weight in good conditions but what is often not fully understood is they will not be able to safely handle anything regardless of shape and size that happens to weigh that much. There is a huge difference for example between the handling characteristics of a 3 ton short dual axle tradies trailer around the suburbs and a 3 ton van out on the highway. A van that size will have a lot of weight a long way in front of and behind the axles plus enough body surface area down the sides to catch winds like a spinnaker. They would be quite capable of sweeping a Navara or even a Cruiser size vehicle right out of the way in a matter of seconds if the right set of conditions occurred.

These links give some insight into how a slight sway caused by wind or whatever can escalate rapidly into disaster when the load out-weighs the tow car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rCfFbQpmqWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kwOqARlw1EI
AnswerID: 502564

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:02

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:02
Here is an extreme example.

My brother did some work for a family friend from time to time that was in refrigeration.

back in the day they used to tow assembled cold rooms and cold room pannel arround on a tandem car trailer behind....wait for it..and L300.

Anyway on the way back from a job, the L300 towing unladen tandem car trailer....lot even legal then.

The trailer copped a big pot hole, which blew a tyre and broke a stub axle off....at highway speeds......with one thing and another....the trailer pitched this way and that and ended up breaking all the remaining stub axles and in the process picked up the van and slammed it down on one side and then the other.
The driver fortunately walked away with cuts, bruses and brown trousers......but there was not a straight pannel on the van

anyway....he calls me brother and asks....can ya fix me trailer.

cheers
FollowupID: 779064

Sponsored Links