Rear view cameras

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:14
ThreadID: 99979 Views:2858 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all, I have a quick query for the informed caravan tow people. If you have a rear view camera do you still need to have your extend mirrors on your vehicle, I have been informed that you don't, but I find it hard to believe,because to my way of thinking you still need to be able to see what is coming down the side of your van, as they over take you. I still travel with mine attached in tandem with the camera. your thoughts please. I reside in W.A.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:23

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:23
hi broodie
dont listen to that you will find your are still required to have your extended rear veiw mirrors when towing
some of these stupid ideas/opinions are invented at sundowner gathering and can be very misleading to the gullible
-afaik-
extd rear mirrors are still legally required whether you have the greatest rev camera in the world
cheers
AnswerID: 502519

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:10

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:10
Yes, you still must have extended mirrors even if you have the best reversing camera in the world.
The camera only shows what is behind the van, not what is alongside it.
It's a shame that as you pull out to overtake a cyclist
you write off the entire right side of your van on the roadtrain attempting to pass you.

That's why you need the mirrors.

Disco.
FollowupID: 778978

Follow Up By: Member - peter h (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:18

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:18
Hi
Notice in mclaren vale police station's notice board re this subject. Says you must have your extended mirrors on while towing,or pay the price of a on the spot fine if caught

Peter
FollowupID: 778979

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:40

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:40
Although you still require the extended mirrors with a reverse camera. The original mirrors would still give a field of view at an angle away from the side of the vehicle and caravan.
If you went to move out around a cyclist then that field of view would allow the detection of a roadtrain if it was there and attempting to overtake you.
Overtaking is unfortunately commonly called passing by some folk which is a little confusing in some explanations until the relative direction of travel has been established.

Also the rear view camera would be showing a road train was there long before the cyclist was encountered.
If it didn't show the approaching Road Train ( they are quite big you know) then the rear view camera you purchased isn't worth a pinch of the proverbial or you don't use it to see with and then YES you do need those legal mirrors.
It would also show the remainder of the road train trailing behind the Prime mover which hasn't yet got to being dragged past your rig but is positioned out in the opposite lane and attempting the maneouvre.

Many cameras, not all, have a field of view of 170 degrees. That should pick up most things because of that field of view.
With these wide angle cameras it would be hard for cyclist to overtake you with out being seen let alone a road train.

I try to concentrate on what is the reality of the situation and not the hypotheticals.

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 778982

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 14:27

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 14:27
Hi Brody,

Electronic devices, such reverse cameras, can suffer from bad connections or damage caused by rock abrasion to wiring harnesses etc not to mention vibration damage to connections. This can cause occassional intermittant faults.

I run both extended morrors and reverse cameras as each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The main reason for reverse cameras, in my case, are so that I can see the coupling when hooking the van on and so I can see directly behind the van when reversing just in case someone small has walked behind the van and I did not see them do it.
I only occassionaly use the van camera as a rear view camera relying mainly on the towing mirrors.

Just as a further note and a good idea,

Most monitors which have 2 video inputs default to say Video 1 input.
In the absence of a signal on video 1 the monitor then defaults to video 2 input.

I used this feature so that there is automatic switching between the car camera and the van camera. Meaning that if I hook the van up and plug in the camera cable between van and car the monitor picks up the signal on Video 1 input and defaults to that signal first.

When the van is not plugged in then the monitor defaults to Video 2 input as there is not signal on Video 1.

This removes the need for a switching circuit on the camera video circuits as the switching is within the monitor and automatic.

Hope this gives someone some help in setting theirs up.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502525

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:22

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:22
Hello Bruce
The "auto switching feature" of the video inputs has caught my interest. Could you please give me some information as to exactly which monitor you are using.

Regards John Genge
FollowupID: 778994

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 16:16

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 16:16
John,

Many video monitor which have 2 inputs have this auto feature from the units I have seen on ebay.

Like this one

While the above unit is not exactly the one I have it is very similar. Note the price.

The camera I used is a small one
Like this one
which is a snap in unit which came with its own metal hole saw.

I drilled a hole through the bumper and now it is so neat it looks like a proximity sensor as opposed to a camera as it is flush fitting with the bumper.
Look here

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779001

Reply By: landseka - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:07

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:07
In the same way that 'electric turn signals' had to be accompanied by a hand (or mechanical hand) signal when they first hit the scene because they MAY develop an electric fault / bad connection etc, then cameras will totally remove the need for 'extended towing mirrors' before long.

I have a camera on the car and van rear but still fit extended mirrors because the law at present says I must.

I never (well, rarely) look in those mirrors though as they vibrate too much when travelling.

I can see a vehicle right behind my van in the monitor and when it pulls out to overtake I can see it clearly in the standard wing mirrors before it gets anywhere near the back of the van.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 502527

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 16:32

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 16:32
Hi Neil,
What you say is correct re the comparison between turn indicators and hand signals.

However, if you are experiencing shake in your mirrors then perhaps you need better mirrors.

I used to use the 'Aussie Truck' type of towing mirrors on the 80 series but due to the upgrade of the vehicle to a 100 series Cruiser I find there is insufficient space between the glass and the door rubber to mount the mirror support arm. They were a very steady mirror though.

I therefore went to the Clearview Mirrors which are rock steady also but very expensive. As I had scratched the window glass in the door using the 'AussieTruck' type I figured I had no choice. A broken window was what I was worried about and figured the Clearviews were a cheaper alternative. They are a brilliant bit of gear though.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779006

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:41

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:41
I agree with your analogy Neil

More chance of dropping and breaking a mirror when fitting it than an electrical fault with the camera.
I've had cameras on my vans since around 2000 never had an electrical fault.
I have discussed this topic on many occasions and I have never been shown reference to a road rule that says extended mirrors are required for rear vision when towing a van.
Most come up with ADR references which are for roadworthy compliance but never a reference to the road rule laws.
FollowupID: 779038

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 17:35

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 17:35
Hi Broodie,

Not sure of the exact wording but from memory something along the lines that you had to be able to see the rear most corners of your van/trailer while seated in the normal driving position. Whether that has to accomplished by mirrors or not, maybe consult the relevant regulations.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 502537

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:13

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:13
Cut & pasted from the Road Traffic Rules:

"35—Rear vision mirrors
?(1) (2)
A rear vision mirror or mirrors must be fitted to a motor vehicle as required by this rule so that a driver of the vehicle can clearly see by reflection the road behind the vehicle and any following or overtaking vehicle."

There is much more but the above covers it.
Note it says "by reflection". There is no allowance for cameras.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502540

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:36

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:36
Thank you for all your sound advice I thought I was being led up the garden path, and as an ex police officer, some forty years ago I thought the road rules had changed and I had not kept abreast of things and changes to the traffic act. Once again thank you all.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502576

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 00:02

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 00:02
Hi Brodie
There is a lot of camp fire gossip happens on this site !!!
Nothing wrong with getting peoples thoughts " BUT " at the end of the day it is always what the law states, therefore the best answer is what your local authorities ( RTA ) say.
As an ex- Police Officer I'm sure you have experienced this gossip in your past career.

Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 779259

Sponsored Links