Tanami Track Camping

Hi All,

We're heading up to The Kimberley via The Tanami for 5 weeks in June/July and I just want some advise re: itinery/camping on the Tanami.

We were hoping to get from Adelaide to Broome via Coober Pedy (2 nights)/Uluru (2 nights)/Alice Springs (1 night - will hopefully stop for 3 nights on the way back time permitting)/Tanami (2 nights).

My question is are you better off camping at places like Renahans Bore (which is roughly half way) or staying elsewhere?

My rough plan was to stay 1 night at Renahans Bore and 1 night at Wolfe Creek before heading onto Broome which brings me to my next question.

If we were to go to the Bungle Bungles from Wolfe Creek is it feasible to get from there to Broome in a day via the Great Northern Highway (don't really want to waste a night on that leg if we can avoid it as we will be heading along the Gibb from Broome)

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Pothole - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:00
We did almost the same trip July, August last year. We spent 1 night at Coober Pedy and 2 nights at Alice Springs and then spent one night on the side of the road along the Tanami.
I think the Tanami was a bit boring but that's me. But the whole trip was awesome, beautiful country the Kimberley. The Gibb River Road was not boring always something new or different things to see, loved it. We spent time in most of the places you mention. Broom was totally booked out (caravan parks) and we spent time living at one of the over flow parks Broom Pistol Club which was OK. The people running the Pistol Club were very friendly and helpful. Your going to love this trip it's a fantastic trip we also took 5 weeks. Of course it not long enough but that's all we could afford.
Pothole......
AnswerID: 502563

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:41

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:41
We went over from Alice to 80 Mile Beach by the Gary Junction Rd and Kidson Track, which is a great road for most of the trip.

We came back by the Tanami and stayed at Wolfe Creek one night and about 10 kms East of Rabbit Flat the second night and onto Alice Springs the next day. Rabbit Flat is long closed now.

Wolfe Creek is only a couple of hours from Halls Creek, from memory.
I don't know how far it is from Broome, but it'd be a decent sort of drive.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 502566

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:44

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:44
PS.
I really enjoyed the scenery on the Tanami. It's different to other areas but then I love it all.

Great country we have. Stand in the middle of the desert at sunrise and try not to feel insignificant. It's a beautiful World we live in.

Steve
FollowupID: 779057

Reply By: Member - Greg N (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 23:51

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 23:51
Lloyd W1
We found the designated areas such as Renehan's Bore too open for our liking, and camped at Mt Doreen Ruins and Wolfe Ck when travelling between Alice & Halls Ck.

Driving from Bungle Bungles to Broome is possible, but a long day, depending where you camp at Purnululu - it's a long trip out to the highway if you camp in Purnululu itself. You could consider Fitzroy Crossing, but if you do that, you should really make the most of it by doing a tour of Geikie Gorge.

Our tips: 1) Don't give yourself too tight a schedule 2) try to book accommodation in Broome before arriving (I actually preferred the Police Citizen's overflow camping to Cable Beach Caravan Pk!)
AnswerID: 502572

Follow Up By: Weavey72 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 09:54
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up re: Tanami Camping and Bungle Bungles to Broome... will take that on board with my planning.

Wasn't planning to stay at Fitzroy Crossing but if we do good to know that there is a tour to do there.

I'm very wary of having too tighter schedule hence pushing at the start and end which will give us 3 weeks in The Kimberley, I know you laways could do with more time but hopefully 3 weeks is sufficient.

Do you know if you can book the overflow camping spots or not?

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 779083

Follow Up By: Member - Greg N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:17

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:17
Lloyd
As you head in to Broome, stop at the Tourist Information Centre - very helpful and very comprehensive. They have boards out listing the various caravan parks and overflow camping areas with the number of sites remaining, and also listing phone numbers. I think it's just a case of turning up at the overflows and waiting your turn. They also have limits on the number of nights you can stay. Be sure to ask to see any site you are offered (we had a bad experience.)
FollowupID: 779086

Reply By: Member - jezza68 - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 23:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 23:57
Hi Lloyd,

Wolfe Creek to Halls Creek @ 2hrs
Halls Creek to Bungles T/O @80mins
T/O to Ranger Stn @ 2.5hrs
Domes to Echidna Chasm tours @ 5hrs ( running)
Bungles to Broome at least 10 hrs

Do yourself a favour and allow 2 nights in the Bungles. You will only regret missing such a tourist icon.
Maybe head to Kununurra and do the Gibb East to West.
Then head home via the Central Road. That way you do a counter clockwise trip and not be back tracking.
AnswerID: 502573

Follow Up By: Weavey72 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:00
Hi Jezza,

Hadn't thought about going the opposite way so thanks for that, I'll sit down and work out the pros and cons of going that way.

That's what I love about this website/forum is you can put a question out there and you get back such helpful information/ideas from people who have already been which really helps when it come to planning a trip.

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 779085

Follow Up By: Weavey72 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 14:18

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 14:18
Hi Jezza,

Was just having a look at google maps and considering your route but I'm not exactly sure which way you mean from Broome. If you can let me know which way you mean that would be appreciated because I do like the idea of not backtracking.

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 779106

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:08

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:08
Hi Lloyd, we went from Halls Creek to Alice and planned to spend the first night at Wolfe Creek, but with plenty of day left continued on, spending the night on the WA side some way from the road in an old gravel scoop which had been camped in before. There were many similar looking spots. After enjoying the company of others for some week in the Kimberley, out there in the quiet so far from any other person it was a glorious and a very memorable night. The sunset was colourful. (Sorry add photo feature not working tonight).

On the NT side, there are a number of rest areas suitable for camping. We chose one towards the end of the day, and didn’t leave in a hurry in the morning, taking the time to do a bit of maintenance and check everything over after two days of severe corrugations.

Be sure to spend enough time at Purnululu. We spend the greater part of three days, with two nights there – one at each of the campgrounds, doing the walks early and late in the day to avoid the heat. The nights became very cold by morning. Due to a change in our original plan, we left the caravan at Kununurra. My blogs from 2008 cover the Kimberley and the Tanami.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502574

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:18

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:18
Working now - I perched on the old ridge of gravel and watched the colours rotate through the palette until it was quite dark.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779065

Sponsored Links